The Official QQ NFL Tailgate Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We won't see it in our area because the Jets play the Pats at the same time. Too bad...I love snow!
Same here. The Ravens game is on at 1.
I love snow too as long as it isn't in my area....unless... someone wants to volunteer to shovel my driveway and clean the cars off. ;)

I love snow too as long as it isn't in my area....unless... someone wants to volunteer to shovel my driveway and clean the cars off. ;)
My wife and I love to ski and snowshoe. We have really good snowshoeing in the reservation right behind our house. And we get plenty of it in a good year because we're at about a 1000 ft elevation.

I'm nuts...I will stand outside in a snowstorm to watch and listen to it come down. What I listen to is the quiet given that few cars are on the road and whatever vehicles are traveling out there get muffled by the snow. Perhaps I should get a snow making system as room treatment for my A/V setup? o_O

My wife and I love to ski and snowshoe. We have really good snowshoeing in the reservation right behind our house. And we get plenty of it in a good year because we're at about a 1000 ft elevation.

I'm nuts...I will stand outside in a snowstorm to watch and listen to it come down. What I listen to is the quiet given that few cars are on the road and whatever vehicles are traveling out there get muffled by the snow. Perhaps I should get a snow making system as room treatment for my A/V setup? o_O

we are as nutty as you AR ---wife and I love to go for walks in a snowstorm. Several years ago - we were about 1/2 mile away from home in a minor blizzard and we got caught up in a microburst with thundersnow. Amazingly cool !!

The Bills play the Browns this Sunday. In the snow. they are predicting a possible 2 feet. Bad weather games are awesome to watch, but they can be hard on a teams passing game.
Did I read that right, now they say as much as 4 feet of snow in the Buffalo area? Best of luck to you and anyone that lives in that area. Not sure how they are going to get everyone there for a game in those conditions.

Did I read that right, now they say as much as 4 feet of snow in the Buffalo area? Best of luck to you and anyone that lives in that area. Not sure how they are going to get everyone there for a game in those conditions.
No, I haven't heard 4 feet. I've heard 2 to 2.5 ft in the vicinity of the stadium.

Just to give you some perspective. This is lake effect snow that comes off Lake Erie when the winds are blowing east, which is the prevailing direction. Right now the lake is still 58 degrees, which is record warm for this time of year. The cold air travels over the lake and picks up copious moisture because the water is so warm. The snow then falls on land. Once the lake freezes over, this can't happen anymore. But who knows when (or if) the lake will freeze this year.

I am about 15 miles north of Buffalo. We are expecting only 9-12 inches here, as we are well north of the snow belt. The stadium is about 8 miles south of Buffalo, and in a traditional snow belt. They are expecting 2 to 2.5 feet over the course of 3 days with all of it ending before kickoff on Sunday. Further south is the Southern Tier that is subject to an even more intense snow belt. There will likely be heavier snowfalls there.

It is not uncommon for there to be nothing on the ground at my house, but a foot on the ground at the stadium about 25 miles away.

This is Buffalo. Heavy snow happens here occasionally. They know how to clear snow quickly, so no worries. Their biggest problem is trucks getting in the NYS Thruway and then getting stranded. They stopped that a few years ago. Now, ahead of any major storm they ban all commercial traffic on the Thruway and have gates at all the entrance ramps to prevent getting on.

Typically The Bills they ask for public volunteers to shovel out the stadium seats. Last I heard the going rate is $20/hr plus a game ticket.

Typically The Bills they ask for public volunteers to shovel out the stadium seats. Last I heard the going rate is $20/hr plus a game ticket.
That's a great deal. Maybe I should show up there looking for work. Then, when I make the mistake of admitting to being a Jets fan, the other shovelers will build a snowman around me.

I went to Olean NY in the winter once to look at a company facility. On the drive south from Buffalo to Olean, we past through that renown snow belt. It was something to behold.

I went to Olean NY in the winter once to look at a company facility. On the drive south from Buffalo to Olean, we past through that renown snow belt. It was something to behold.
Oh yeah. That is smack in the middle of the snow belt. Consider, even with all that, the Buffalo area still lags other places in the state with respect to annual snowfall. Syracuse is usually a prime contender for that.

Yikes! Four feet of snow possible is what I read too. Per CNN:

" Several feet of snow also are forecast Thursday and Friday for the Buffalo and Watertown areas of New York and northwest Pennsylvania, the National Weather Service said.
The snow could fall at a rate of 3 inches per hour in some places, with snow piling up to 4 feet in some areas."

Then, I am reminded of a story a friend told me that grew up in Detroit. The time so much snow fell, drifted & piled up, his father had to jump out of a second story window because he couldn't get a door open. He shoveled the front door free, made a path to his car & off he went to work at the Ford plant. Presumably, the streets had been plowed.

Yikes! Four feet of snow possible is what I read too. Per CNN:

" Several feet of snow also are forecast Thursday and Friday for the Buffalo and Watertown areas of New York and northwest Pennsylvania, the National Weather Service said.
The snow could fall at a rate of 3 inches per hour in some places, with snow piling up to 4 feet in some areas."

Then, I am reminded of a story a friend told me that grew up in Detroit. The time so much snow fell, drifted & piled up, his father had to jump out of a second story window because he couldn't get a door open. He shoveled the front door free, made a path to his car & off he went to work at the Ford plant. Presumably, the streets had been plowed.
Watertown is over 200 miles from Buffalo. The PA border is about 150 miles away. Those are huge distances when it comes to lake effect snow paths. For whatever reason, the news people like to lump Buffalo in with all the rest of New York state except for NYC.

There are places in the Southern Tier where the snow has reached 6 or 8 feet high, usually because it drifted.

Last edited:
I live in a Lake Michigan snowbelt. winds out of the west and southwest creates the best lake effect snow conditions at my locale. In fact , as I type the snow machine is starting to kick in. Here is what we have forecasted but can tell you from experience we will be getting more than the 15 inches forecasted.

This Afternoon
Snow showers. Steady temperature around 31. West southwest wind 13 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow accumulation of around 3 inches.
Tonight
Snow showers. Low around 26. West wind 11 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of around 3 inches.
Friday
Snow showers. High near 30. West wind 11 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of around 2 inches.
Friday Night
Snow showers, mainly before 2am. Low around 21. West southwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of around 2 inches.
Saturday
Snow showers, mainly after 2pm. High near 27. West southwest wind 11 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of around 3 inches.
Saturday Night
Snow showers, mainly before 2am. Low around 18. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of around 2 inches.
Sunday
A 50 percent chance of snow showers before 8am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 29.

and the Upper Penninsula of Michgan ? The Lake Superior snow belt ? Its brutal ---
On average, the Keweenaw Peninsula receives 270 inches of snow each winter. Much of that is generated thanks to Lake Superior and the phenomenon of lake-effect snow

Back