The Official QQ NFL Tailgate Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the young age of 27 Mahomes already has 2 Super Bowl rings so I would imagine that Brady is already looking over his shoulder. If he remains healthy Patrick is almost certain to eventually have more rings than Peyton, Eli, Elway, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Brees, etc. And while it’s most definitely an uphill battle to equal the G.O.A.T., who else would you put your money on? And, to make an absurd comparison, what had any of us accomplished at age 27? (And please, let’s keep the star crossed “27 Club” out of the conversation.)

My prediction for today's game:

It will be tied at 42 at the end of regulation. The first team with the ball in OT will score a touchdown. Then the team that is behind answers with a TD of their own so that the score is tied at 49. Then I don't care who gets the next score and wins the game. How would you folks like to see a Super Bowl like that?
AR.....
You turned out to be pretty close in your prediction. Only KC wouldn't let it go to OT!
I didn't think it would be so high scoring. SB's are almost impossible to predict!

Last edited:
Congratulations @Sonik Wiz and KC fans. (Remember, the original name of this thread when KC got their last SB win?)

Patrick Mahomes (The One Legged GOAT)...In the second half, he made the Eagles defense look like a bunch of extras standing around in a Cecil B. DeMille extravaganza.

The Eagles punter was obviously still having effects from his injury but played anyway. Consequently, he had an unfortunate Bill Buckner (The One Legged Goat) moment and it cost the Birds dearly.

While the hold, as you correctly point out, was a hold, the hold call accounted for only 3 points of KC's total scoring and so much else before that was squandered by Philly

That's a really shortsighted appraisal of the effect of that penalty. Yes, it only resulted in 3 points but more importantly, that penalty took away any chance the Eagles had of coming back. It allowed KC to drain the clock down by giving them three more downs. If that penalty isn't called, KC kicks a field goal and Philly gets the ball back with 90+ seconds and two time outs, only needing a field goal to send it to OT.

That's a really shortsighted appraisal of the effect of that penalty. Yes, it only resulted in 3 points but more importantly, that penalty took away any chance the Eagles had of coming back. It allowed KC to drain the clock down by giving them three more downs. If that penalty isn't called, KC kicks a field goal and Philly gets the ball back with 90+ seconds and two time outs, only needing a field goal to send it to OT.

Yeah, it was a cheap penalty called in a key situation. However, if I could rephrase @esimms86 message: I don't believe it would have made a difference in the final outcome because the Eagles defense was absolutely total shit in the second half. They allowed the Chiefs led by their one-legged-wonder to score every time they touched the ball in the second half. Furthermore, the botched punt return was the Eagles special teams contribution to the second half disaster.

As for Jalen Hurts, he is grossly overrated. ;) I think that the Eagles should give him to the Jets...for free!

Penalties: we all have stories of how we got burned by penalties. The worse ever I think was the non call Minnesota at Saints a few years ago, Saints got seriously burned on that side line non call. NFL changed some rules after that.

Yesterdays Super Bowl living in a SF and Philly family, I felt good about everything, now the Philly side of my family knows how it feels on two sides, the call against them at end of yesterdays game makes us even for the non call on the one handed Philly catch in the NFC Championship.

AND

My SF/Philly family we both know now how it feels to get bit by Mahomes Magic.

Yeah, it was a cheap penalty called in a key situation. However, if I could rephrase @esimms86 message: I don't believe it would have made a difference in the final outcome because the Eagles defense was absolutely total shit in the second half. They allowed the Chiefs led by their one-legged-wonder to score every time they touched the ball in the second half. Furthermore, the botched punt return was the Eagles special teams contribution to the second half disaster.

As for Jalen Hurts, he is grossly overrated. ;) I think that the Eagles should give him to the Jets...for free!
I really wasn't complaining about the penalty itself. Only pointing out that it pretty much changed the last two minutes. Eating up the clock was the real cost, not the 3 points. It was a penalty, for sure, just not blatant.

As for Hurts, only time will tell just how overrated he is/was. I didn't give Philly any credit during the regular season. I kept thinking their record was better than their team really was but they kept winning. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other, I have no allegiance to the Eagles.

It was a penalty, for sure, just not blatant.
This. Everyone always wants to blame the refs, and sure, they have blown some big-time calls in the big moments in the past. But in this case, the defender clearly grabbed the jersey of the receiver. If he hadn't, I believe the receiver would have created additional separation and would have been wide open for a touchdown. If you don't want to get called for a hold, don't grab the shirt, it's that simple.

This. Everyone always wants to blame the refs, and sure, they have blown some big-time calls in the big moments in the past. But in this case, the defender clearly grabbed the jersey of the receiver. If he hadn't, I believe the receiver would have created additional separation and would have been wide open for a touchdown. If you don't want to get called for a hold, don't grab the shirt, it's that simple.
From the overhead angle you could see the receiver wasn’t slowed up at all. You didn’t see the jersey stretched out in the defender’s hand. The kind of marginal call that gets ignored every game. Mahomes overthrew his man because he thought he could get the call, and he did. The sad part is we were robbed of a potentially exciting drive, and instead had to watch them not play and run out the clock. Boring, dumb end to a good game.

Not blaming the refs at all, just calling it like I see it. Whether the ref was right or wrong it changed the last two minutes of the game by allowing KC to play a clock game that wouldn't have been a viable option had the penalty not been called. My only point was that the cost to Philly was greater than 3 points. Not about right or wrong, good or bad.
And remember, I was rooting for KC. I have the same fanboy fascination with Mahomes everyone else has. If there is any team out there that wouldn't like him as their QB, they are lying.

From CNN, per Eagles Bradbury:
“It was a holding,” Bradberry told reporters after the Eagles’ 38-35 loss. “I tugged his jersey. I was hoping they would let it slide.”

As soon as it turned into an auto 1st down I knew that was huge. The question that many are asking is should the ref let it slide? The bigger question I always have in things like this, at the level these players train & play at, how hard is it to know you don't grab a face mask? Or make a false start? Or hold a player? I mean this seems like the simple stuff and obviously games can be lost by it.

When Mahomes limped off the field I said several words the mods here would not like. I really felt the game was over. Mrs Wiz freaked out & re-watched the Elvis movie. Then it seemed most likely @ar surround would be right & there would be at least one OT quarter. As mentioned above I am surprised it was such a high scoring game, but I also figured whoever won, it would be by 1>3 points, and it was.

Fumble!
Jalen Hurts gifted the Chiefs one of the easiest TDs in Super Bowl history
usa_today_19983231.0.jpg
:D

Not blaming the refs at all, just calling it like I see it. Whether the ref was right or wrong it changed the last two minutes of the game by allowing KC to play a clock game that wouldn't have been a viable option had the penalty not been called. My only point was that the cost to Philly was greater than 3 points. Not about right or wrong, good or bad.
And remember, I was rooting for KC. I have the same fanboy fascination with Mahomes everyone else has. If there is any team out there that wouldn't like him as their QB, they are lying.
I agree with you 100%. I knew you weren't blaming the refs.

AR! I STRONGLY disagree with your statement 'I think that the Eagles should give him to the Jets...for free!'
Philly is also going to have to throw in some draft picks ...🤗LOL

Seriously, I think Jalen is a very good QB. He has many strengths & has come a long ways as a NFL starting qb.....But for being a 2nd round/53 pick he has done very well!
Being in the SB has a way of getting the best of a man! He is inexperienced & has a ways to go before he reaches his full potential...

Last edited:
From the overhead angle you could see the receiver wasn’t slowed up at all. You didn’t see the jersey stretched out in the defender’s hand. The kind of marginal call that gets ignored every game. Mahomes overthrew his man because he thought he could get the call, and he did. The sad part is we were robbed of a potentially exciting drive, and instead had to watch them not play and run out the clock. Boring, dumb end to a good game.
I agree with you completely!!
When I first saw the play, it looked to be obvious!
But after I saw other views, IMHO any contact/whatever did not really impede the receiver.
Mahomes played it thru anyways, for what it was worth, hoping to get the call....and he did! Smart guy!
The end of the game reminded me some of sb32, GB vs. Denver. GB wanted to & did let Denver score a TD @ the end. Hoping to get the ball back with more time left to hopefully tie it.
But KC was just too smart to let that happen....

Last edited:
Back