The SDE Surround Sound Series (Updated list of titles with links in post #1)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, another suggestion for the Series; ANYTHING with Hope Sandoval ! Preferably with the Warm Inventions.

Heck yes!!! I have had the 1st Mazzy Star album, CD, for many yrs but really didn't listen to HS's other music. About a year ago, maybe longer, I started to listen to more of her work on Qobuz. It didn't take long to really get into her albums; I was on a big HS kick. Mazzy, Warm Inventions, solo. Anything. Absolutely haunting voice. Trance-rock indeed!

If Paul ever got the rights to do one of her albums in surround, it would be an instant buy for me.

ME 3, This band sounds like a commercial for MMA to me. Isn't Paul Sinclair the nephew of Richard Sinclair, who participated in Camel for the greatest Atmos Candidate of all times, Moonmadness?

Last edited:
I am on the fence on this one. I have pretty much all DL albums into the mid-90s. For me they haven't aged well. I find I don't have much desire to listen to them. Still, this is a limited edition of a band I do like, with an orchestra (which is always cool in my eyes), and I know more of the songs than on any of the other SDE blu-rays I've bought.

1678996917418.png

Yeah, I keep wondering what might be the next "official" one that really ends up being a hard pass for me and breaking the streak... even with some trepidation, I've bought every numbered release so far; the Gilbert O'Sullivan was the only one where I thought I might not revisit it after the first listen (alright, if I'm really being honest I kinda felt that way about the Eno too but I want to like it), but then I gave it another spin later to check that assumption and thought it was OK. (I am still struggling as a collector/listener/human with "OK"... is that good enough to keep? To warrant repeated listens and the spending of finite time to see if it'll be a "grower"? Hm.)

Anyway, I've never really been a DL "fan" to begin with so this was iffy as soon as I saw the name (like when @Steve Bruzonsky guessed the last one was gonna be the new Dolly Parton) but sampled this on Apple Music out of curiosity and wow, is this a head-scratcher. Like the new U2 that'll be fully released tomorrow. I'm just kinda baffled by this stuff.

The idea of a song like "Pour Some Sugar On Me" with a treatment like this just makes me giggle, it seems so Spinal Tap. I can't help thinking "who is this for?" Like, don't you either want to throw on a sleeveless flannel and smash a beer can on your forehead while blasting "Pour Some Sugar On Me" OR have a relaxing Scotch and listen to some great orchestral music? What is the scenario/mood where you want them both at the same time? The end times, I guess. 😁

Yeah, I keep wondering what might be the next "official" one that really ends up being a hard pass for me and breaking the streak... even with some trepidation, I've bought every numbered release so far; the Gilbert O'Sullivan was the only one where I thought I might not revisit it after the first listen (alright, if I'm really being honest I kinda felt that way about the Eno too but I want to like it), but then I gave it another spin later to check that assumption and thought it was OK. (I am still struggling as a collector/listener/human with "OK"... is that good enough to keep? To warrant repeated listens and the spending of finite time to see if it'll be a "grower"? Hm.)

Anyway, I've never really been a DL "fan" to begin with so this was iffy as soon as I saw the name (like when @Steve Bruzonsky guessed the last one was gonna be the new Dolly Parton) but sampled this on Apple Music out of curiosity and wow, is this a head-scratcher. Like the new U2 that'll be fully released tomorrow. I'm just kinda baffled by this stuff.

The idea of a song like "Pour Some Sugar On Me" with a treatment like this just makes me giggle, it seems so Spinal Tap. I can't help thinking "who is this for?" Like, don't you either want to throw on a sleeveless flannel and smash a beer can on your forehead while blasting "Pour Some Sugar On Me" OR have a relaxing Scotch and listen to some great orchestral music? What is the scenario/mood where you want them both at the same time? The end times, I guess. 😁
I’m impressed anyone read one of my posts here!

Last edited:
A kind of futures two-fer Def Leopard assist.

Paul basically says-

anyone who chooses to support SDE and orders Drastic Symphonies from the SDE shop will get priority to the SDE-exclusive blu-ray schedule later this year of ‘Diamond Star Halos’, if/when that happens (via early notification).

Sounds like a pretty solid go-ahead wink for ‘Diamond Star Halos’ to me!
feels like a slightly wonky sprat to catch a mackerel maybe? i mean, surely it takes just one early notified Drastic Symphonies buyer to then simply tell everyone else? unless SDE do something more sophisticated to give priority, of course.. 😈

feels like a slightly wonky sprat to catch a mackerel maybe? i mean, surely it takes just one early notified Drastic Symphonies buyer to then simply tell everyone else? unless SDE do something more sophisticated to give priority, of course.. 😈
:unsure: I wonder how many of the SDE surround purchasers know about the jungle drum communications of QQ?

A kind of futures two-fer Def Leopard assist.

Paul basically says-

anyone who chooses to support SDE and orders Drastic Symphonies from the SDE shop will get priority to the SDE-exclusive blu-ray schedule later this year of ‘Diamond Star Halos’, if/when that happens (via early notification).

Sounds like a pretty solid go-ahead wink for ‘Diamond Star Halos’ to me!
Paul wrote: I hope to add Steven Wilson's Atmos Mix of Diamond Star Halos to the SDE exclusive blu-ray schedule later this year, so anyone who chooses to support SDE and orders Drastic Symphonies from the SDE store will get priority if/when that happens (via early notification)
And what about regular buyers of the series, who don't opt for Drastic Symphonies, will they also receive the same message. or will they be queued as punishment. 😂

Paul wrote: I hope to add Steven Wilson's Atmos Mix of Diamond Star Halos to the SDE exclusive blu-ray schedule later this year, so anyone who chooses to support SDE and orders Drastic Symphonies from the SDE store will get priority if/when that happens (via early notification)
And what about regular buyers of the series, who don't opt for Drastic Symphonies, will they also receive the same message. or will they be queued as punishment. 😂
I don’t want to make too much out of Paul’s statement because I can understand the intent, but, yeah... when I read that the other day my first thought was, “How about priority for those of us who have supported the Surround Series since day one and have ordered every title?”

To be clear, it’s not a knock on Paul at all. Just the first thought that popped into my head when he made the announcement.

Unless he’s going to use individual order URLs or codes, I’m guessing someone here would share the news as soon as they receive it. Well, at least after they put their own order in first to secure their copy.

Back