Various Albums 50th

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I turned 18 in October of 1970 and "I'm Eighteen" came out the next month. My girlfriend (a beautiful '60s hippie chick) and I were broken up at the time and we got back together the same month "Love It To Death" was released. We were married in 1975 and divorced in 1980. She died in June of 2018. "Love It To Death" has always been my favorite Alice Cooper album. "Is It My Body" starts with one of the best opening riffs, ever. It's kind of like an earworm with me.

And, it just seems natural to play the whole album straight through. I don't think I have ever not played it all the way through.

Doug

Last edited:
50 years ago. Yikes. I know every album on that list.
Today? I pretty much don't know any album on the Billboard 200.

OLD is what old is! ;)
Any album?

I don't even know who the artists are! (had to fight the urge to use quotations marks),

Any implications of the above are not meant to be proposed universals truths, nor signs of deeper illnesses.

Such a different time. We bought albums and played them. Had friends over to listen to them, loaned them out to other friends. Because it was a pain to do, we never skipped tracks on a side, just let 'em play through. After repeated playing, we got to know ever song on a side, which stays with us to this day.

Today, songs like "Octopuses Garden", "She's Leaving Home", etc, would never get as many plays as they did back then, which adds to the legacy of the release.

Today, it's listen once or twice, pick off the tunes we like, then shelve the album.

I would hate to think of how many times we would play a particular album over and over, all the way through, just to have music on. A totally different world.
This is a highly enjoyable thread, love the stories. Only thing I can remember of 1971, I was still dropping acid.
I was so suprised to see Surfs Up and Led Zep IV the same year, I thought Surfs Up was a 60's thing.
50 year box sets that would be great Bangladesh, Every Picture Tells A Story, Sticky Fingers, Santana III, 4 Way Street, and Who's Next, of course all and any would be great. Bangladesh already had a 2005, but sure they could improve on it.
R-10806355-1588875404-9736.jpeg.jpg

I turned 18 in October of 1970 and "I'm Eighteen" came out the next month. My girlfriend (a beautiful '60s hippy chick) and I were broken up at the time and we got back together the same month"Love It To Death" was released. We were married in 1975 and divorced in 1980. She died in June of 2018. "Love It To Death" has always been my favorite Alice Cooper album. "Is It My Body" starts with one of the best opening riffs, ever. It's kind of like an ear worm with me.

And, it just seems natural to play the whole album straight through. I don't think I have ever not played it all the way through.

Doug

Likewise friend I turned 18 in Sept '70 & of course I'm Eighteen was the song that got my attention for Alice Cooper. And also I think that album is one of his best. I saw him a few times live.

Jann & I were together off & on for 5+ years. In fact engaged 5 times & after the last break up I threw the ring into the back yard. Next day I went to Radio Shack & bought a metal detector because a $1k engagement ring in '70 dollars was a lot of money. Never found it.

The last time I saw her was in 1977 & Fleetwood Mac : Rumours was in heavy rotation at my place. She went off to live a good life in very small town Kansas. Out of lockdown boredom I googled her name last winter & saw she had passed July 2019 after a long struggle with myelofibrosis. She was 5 years younger than me, gone at 63 yo.

I don't mean to be maudlin or sound regretful. When your young and choices lay ahead it's so grueling to know if you're choosing best. When your older it's reassuring to look back & see how things turned out the way they should, & for the best. Things have indeed turned out better for me than I probably deserve with family, career, friends. I am a lucky, lucky man.

You're not old. It's just the albums are...

That works much better for me! :D

"Meddle" is my standout on the list. I bought it because "One of These Days" turned up on the radio often enough to become familiar, but I didn't know anything else from it. I can still remember being completely blown away the first time I heard "Echoes".

This is a highly enjoyable thread, love the stories. Only thing I can remember of 1971, I was still dropping acid.
I was so suprised to see Surfs Up and Led Zep IV the same year, I thought Surfs Up was a 60's thing.
50 year box sets that would be great Bangladesh, Every Picture Tells A Story, Sticky Fingers, Santana III, 4 Way Street, and Who's Next, of course all and any would be great. Bangladesh already had a 2005, but sure they could improve on it.
View attachment 61328
Haha yeah acid. That year some friends & I took a road trip to Colorado. In Denver there was a major retail area called Larimer Square. We bought as much little stuff as we could because each purchase got you a paper bag marked LSD. Get it?

I saw Concert for Bangladesh 1st run in a theater. It seemed great at the time but it's not worn well over the years for me. Concert for George however is always a treat.

You can probably pick out any year late 60's/ 70's & find some great music. But this list for 1971 has so many of my favorites. I own all but about 6 of them. So my New Years resolution is to re-listen to all the albums on it. Not in a hurry but there are some that I want to listen to soon. And some will wait because some albums just need to enjoyed in Summer.

Edit: Credit to Hoffman forum: Sum up the 1970s in one photo

rzAjT38.png
That looks the person on the right is holding a copy of 1973s "The Brand New Monty Python Paperbok" which came with a jacket featuring a cleverly covered (nude) photo of Eric Idle (& his wife?) I still have my copy but the covering jacket got damaged in a flood, the book just about survived!

Oh and FWIW, Frank Zappa had ... Live at Fillmore East in his discography that year. Maybe it was just overlooked, maybe to make the list the number of sales was a modulator.
I love that album, one of the funniest records I've ever heard ... and then Flo & Eddie a few years later, more laughs with some brilliant impersonations.

OK, the other great Alice Cooper album from 1971 is "Killer" released in November. Excellent! Like "Love It To Death" there isn't a filler on it.

It opens with another "killer" intro on "Under My Wheels" but my favorite song here is "Desperado" which was written about Jim Morrison who died earlier in the year. It struck me the first time I heard the album.

The cover is unique, too. It's a gatefold but then another flap folds out and there is a picture of Alice, hanged, with a 1972 calendar below.

Oh, and Neal Smith was/is an extraordinary drummer. RIP Glen Buxton (lead guitar) who died of pneumonia in 1997. He did those neat guitar parts like in "Hallowed Be My Name" on "Love It To Death".

I still wonder what my parents thought when they heard me play it up in my bedroom.

Doug

Last edited:

I have 9 out of the 12. Don't have "Aqualung", Marvin Gaye, or Traffic.".

I didn't really like Jethro Tull after "Benefit". I've heard "What's Going On" best album ever? No. Never liked Traffic and "Low Spark..." is BORING.

I didn't like Janis back then but I love her now. Carole King - incredible. Same with Joni (her laugh at the end of "Big Yellow Taxi", my favorite Joni moment). Allman Brothers - way overrated. Sly's greatest hits album in quad is really the one to have. Zep - always in constant battle with Rush as my all time favorite band, with The Beatles in their own spot, of course.

Doug

Back