Various Albums 50th

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did comment in another thread that the NEW SONY JAPAN Multi~CH SACD did sound better than the original SONY 00 release and if you find it at a good price, I do highly recommend it. That 7" packaging for Tapestry is a major PLUS.

https://www.importcds.com/tapestry-hybrid-sacd/4547366319606
Just for proverbial "schitzengiggles", I ran the SACD of "Tapestry" through the Involve Evaluation encoder, coming direct off my SACD player. The result was interesting; I don't think it was ever meant to be a whiz-bang, no holds barred surround mix, but it more than maintained the more intimate sound I think the album was meant to have. Playing it through the SM, in the Involve 4.1 mode, very little difference from the discrete, if any. Best thing is, I can now play it in my car. The SACD is not hybrid.

Continuing to be motivated to listen to all the albums on the original 70's list (and maybe a few more) Tuesday night was Aqualung. As eager as I was to listen to this album earlier I think getting the perfect set & setting to give full attention to this musical masterpiece is essential. And so it was.

I enjoyed most all of the variations included in the box set. I am enthralled at the new 5.1 re-mix. And I am always surprised at how muddy the original 4.0 mix sounds. I have this on CD-4 & even tho it's not an aggressive surround mix I don't remember it sounding like this. Maybe stuff like this is meant to sound it's best on mid-70's quad gear.

I've seen J Tull live more than any other group. It was just very simple: Jethro Tull comes to Kansas City, I bought tickets. I don't remember which tour it was but at some point Ian Anderson opted to be on stage only for a flute part, guitar or vocals. Then he would retreat to a huge Victorian chair & all you could see was his legs & a very long pipe sticking out. Ah, that was my last time seeing them live.

I have all his albums up to & including "A". The group started out with good blues & jazz influences, moved to heavier prog rock ( I think their zenith) & then settled into mostly ornate ballads. That does not interest me as much.

If I sound negative I'm not. My love affair with Jethro Tull continues even if it's not for 100% of their creative works. After Aqualung I enjoyed Stand Up & was so tempted to audition more but it was early morning & I knew better that I should save some Glenfiddich for later.

Just this morning I see their last album was (excepting for the Xmas album) was J-Tull Dot Com. Well it's a curious name & I see no comments on in the forum. I will search for samples in the usual places.

Continuing to be motivated to listen to all the albums on the original 70's list (and maybe a few more) Tuesday night was Aqualung. As eager as I was to listen to this album earlier I think getting the perfect set & setting to give full attention to this musical masterpiece is essential. And so it was.

I enjoyed most all of the variations included in the box set. I am enthralled at the new 5.1 re-mix. And I am always surprised at how muddy the original 4.0 mix sounds. I have this on CD-4 & even tho it's not an aggressive surround mix I don't remember it sounding like this. Maybe stuff like this is meant to sound it's best on mid-70's quad gear.

I've seen J Tull live more than any other group. It was just very simple: Jethro Tull comes to Kansas City, I bought tickets. I don't remember which tour it was but at some point Ian Anderson opted to be on stage only for a flute part, guitar or vocals. Then he would retreat to a huge Victorian chair & all you could see was his legs & a very long pipe sticking out. Ah, that was my last time seeing them live.

I have all his albums up to & including "A". The group started out with good blues & jazz influences, moved to heavier prog rock ( I think their zenith) & then settled into mostly ornate ballads. That does not interest me as much.

If I sound negative I'm not. My love affair with Jethro Tull continues even if it's not for 100% of their creative works. After Aqualung I enjoyed Stand Up & was so tempted to audition more but it was early morning & I knew better that I should save some Glenfiddich for later.

Just this morning I see their last album was (excepting for the Xmas album) was J-Tull Dot Com. Well it's a curious name & I see no comments on in the forum. I will search for samples in the usual places.
Nice view.
A few questions: So where the hell was Biggles when you needed him last Saturday? And where were all the sportsmen who always pulled you through? 🤪

Nice view.
A few questions: So where the hell was Biggles when you needed him last Saturday? And where were all the sportsmen who always pulled you through? 🤪

That newspaper took a number of repeated plays to get through initially. One of the album covers that really kept on giving!

My question: Did anyone actually know any of the crossword puzzle answers? Seemed like seriously inside stuff and you would have had to be around them at the time.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertain...st-rock-roll-hall-of-fame-albums-of-1971.html
YDQC2AAPGJA2HPNZJOJ5E4UQWQ.jpg

Last edited:
That newspaper took a number of repeated plays to get through initially. One of the album covers that really kept on giving!

My question: Did anyone actually know any of the crossword puzzle answers? Seemed like seriously inside stuff and you would have had to be around them at the time.
They were all really drunk. Thick as a brick drunk.

:coffee::unsure:

I took the liberty to compile tracks that were first released in 1971 and were made available on a digital surround format since – hope it's not too off topic here on this thread.
Any additions/corrections are welcome.

Here's fifty of these, in no particular order; yes, I'm aware that Surf's Up is fake surround.
Covers used usually represent releases on which the songs are available rather than original albums.

Stage Fright can add to the playlist soon – wonder how many more can make it before year's end...
(click to enlarge)
1971@50.jpg

Last edited:
OK, heard from a couple of fine/knowledgeable Q8 members on this title, and it appears to not be a Q8 (mislabeled Quadraphonic format in discogs!) ...and
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ks-like-quad-rcoa-carts-mystery-solved.16015/
And I understand it doesn't have to have a Quad pedigree to be considered for a new release, but it would have been a starting point... anyways, how about these two then - (I'll keep trying until I get one right :giggle:)

https://www.discogs.com/Santana-Santana/release/15986796
Well Japan 1972, but hopefully already in the bag from Sony SACD soon 🤞

and

https://www.discogs.com/Aretha-Franklin-Live-At-Fillmore-West/release/8550674
holy crap:

The Rod Stewart is a "Record Club of America" issue. They used the same label for both 8tk and cassette. Hence, only 2 programs listed. The 8tk still is 2ch and 4 programs.

2ch has been issued on MoFi Gold CD and Japan SHM-SACD. I bought the gold.

edit: clicked on link after writing this. QQ link also tells the story.

Last edited:
The Rod Stewart is a "Record Club of America" issue. They used the same label for both 8tk and cassette. Hence, only 2 programs listed. The 8tk still is 2ch and 4 programs.

2ch has been issued on MoFi Gold CD and Japan SHM-SACD. I bought the gold.

edit: clicked on link after writing this. QQ link also tells the story.

Linda, never heard the MoFi 24k Gold CD, but the Universal SHM~SACDs of both Gasoline Alley and Every Picture Tells a Story are, IMO, REVELATIONS!

Linda, never heard the MoFi 24k Gold CD, but the Universal SHM~SACDs of both Gasoline Alley and Every Picture Tells a Story are, IMO, REVELATIONS!
I bought the ⛽ Alley on SACD. Picture SACD was in my cart and removed a couple times. It is something I will eventually purchase.

"...The women I've known I wouldn't let tie my shoes." - OUCH!

"...Every Picture tells a story, doughnut."

"Hey guys, put the mandolin and fiddle in the back left and back right, respectively."

"What about the slide guitar?"

"I'll leave that to your discretion and keep the piano in the front."

Doug

Back