Various Albums 50th

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I wrote, above, that Zep and Rush are always vying for first place in my all-time favorite band slot but then I listen to the first side of "Morrison Hotel/Hard Rock Cafe" or "Soft Parade" and everything changes, at least temporarily. I mean, the songs from those two albums were the ones my friends and I would sing, walking down the street. The Doors were just so damn good.

I know those are earlier albums but they were the evolution toward "LA Woman" from '71.

When I was living in Rochester, MN, several years ago, a bartender, who was also a Sheriff's deputy, at the local watering hole, knew one of those old friends of mine who had become the Mayor of a small town not too far away and I told him to say "Hi" to Roy when he saw him. Next time I saw him, he said he had a trivia question from Roy. It was, How many times does Morrison sing 'C'mon' at the beginning of "Touch Me" before proceeding with the rest of the song? I knew it is four, of course.

Doug

I know I wrote, above, that Zep and Rush are always vying for first place in my all-time favorite band slot but then I listen to the first side of "Morrison Hotel/Hard Rock Cafe" or "Soft Parade" and everything changes, at least temporarily. I mean, the songs from those two albums were the ones my friends and I would sing, walking down the street. The Doors were just so damn good.

I know those are earlier albums but they were the evolution toward "LA Woman" from '71.

When I was living in Rochester, MN, several years ago, a bartender, who was also a Sheriff's deputy, at the local watering hole, knew one of those old friends of mine who had become the Mayor of a small town not too far away and I told him to say "Hi" to Roy when he saw him. Next time I saw him, he said he had a trivia question from Roy. It was, How many times does Morrison sing 'C'mon' at the beginning of "Touch Me" before proceeding with the rest of the song? I knew it is four, of course.

Doug
Killing me! Doors were/are absolute monsters. They have my utmost respect. To me, no band is their equal. None....

One more Doors bit: I still remember sitting at the dining room table and my parents talking about the Morrison "exposure" incident and my dad, who had a beautiful tenor voice, saying what a waste of an incredible baritone voice Morrison was. They never insisted I stop listening to The Doors, however.

Doug

1971!!

In '71, I was a senior in high school. Since I had great grades, all my teachers signed off on me doing total independent study. 📖 No classes! Just a 15 minute meeting with each teacher every week.

I read a book 📖 a week for each class.

Played hookie a lot: Cub games, trips to Woodfield Mall and lots of tennis 🎾 ping-pong, basketball and weights.

Hung out in the school library a lot. One kid brought in albums. Aqualung, Killer, Cheech and Chong and lots more. They had headphones 🎧 and junction 📦 boxes. Many listeners.

I counted eight albums on that list at the beginning of this thread that I don't own. Then and now, lots in surround.

Some other great albums from '71:

Jack Johnson - Miles
Blood, Sweat and Tears 4
20 Granite Creek - Moby Grape
Edgar Winter's White Trash
Chase
John Prine 1st
Push Push - Herbie Mann w/Duane Allman
Wings - Michel Colombier w/Bill Medley, Herb Alpert, Paul Williams, Lani Hall
Carpenters
Music of My Mind - Stevie Wonder
Message from a Drum - Redbone
Chicago at Carnegie Hall
Emmit Rhodes
😢 Tears of Joy - Don Ellis
5th - Lee Michaels
Music - Carole King
Mudlark - Leo Kottke
Dylan's Greatest Vol. 2 (several unreleased tracks 👣)

Also heard an Elton John concert live on ABC FM in late '70. It got released as an LP in '71.

I owned those albums in '71, plus most of the list which began this thread. Lots of allowance $$ spent.

One of my favorite ❤ years!

Last edited:
1971!!

In '71, I was a senior in high school. Since I had great grades, all my teachers signed off on me doing total independent study. 📖 No classes! Just a 15 minute meeting with each teacher every week.

Played hookie a lot: Cub games, trips to Woodfield Mall and lots of tennis 🎾 ping-pong, basketball and weights.

Hung out in the school library a lot. One kid brought in albums. Aqualung, Killer, Cheech and Chong and lots more. They had headphones 🎧 and junction 📦 boxes. Many listeners.

I counted eight album on that list at the beginning of this thread that I don't own. Then and now, lots in surround.

Jack Johnson - Miles
Blood, Sweat and Tears 4
Chase
John Prine 1st
Carpenters
Chicago at Carnegie Hall
Emmit Rhodes
5th - Lee Michaels
Music - Carole King
Mudlark - Leo Kottke

Also heard an Elton John concert live on ABC FM in late '70. It got released as an LP in '71.

I owned those albums in '71, plus several on the list which began this thread. Lots of allowance $$ spent.

Wow, your comment about listening to albums at school jogged my memory. I totally forgot. At my high school, our library also had a listening area for albums. Headphones only, obviously. Wow, those were the days huh? Another memory...in music class. On Fridays, our teacher let one of us bring in some 45's to spin on the school turntable. I brought in Bad, Bad, Leroy Brown. (7th grade). I promply got sent to the principle's office because the lyrics said "whole damn town" hahahahaha. Imagine that.

My story is similar to Linda's. I graduated in '71 and Math was my last class of the day. My teacher would always let me skip class and I and Pam (RIP), my girlfriend and eventual wife, who didn't have a class that hour, would hitchhike or, on the days I drove to school (my older brother usually got to take the '59 Chevy), drive to Rochester to go to the then relatively new Apache Mall and hang around.

My buddy and I were allowed to go into the room right off the cafeteria, where they kept all the school record players and play our albums. They were Voice of Music machines. The library also had those listening stations with headphones (coincidentally enough, made by the same company - Telex - for which I would later work), too, but we rarely used those, being able to play the records on those VM's which were relatively good-sounding.

One last Doors album from 1971, released in August, was "Other Voices" after Morrison's demise. The tracks were actually started before his death and the other three were waiting for him to return from Paris to finish them and then put out the album but alas, that was not to be.

The music is still there but, without Morrison's incredible baritone voice, it just wasn't the same. One exceptional track, for me, is "Tightrope Ride", a real rocker and the reason I was glad I bought the album.

Doug

Last edited:
Wow, your comment about listening to albums at school jogged my memory. I totally forgot. At my high school, our library also had a listening area for albums. Headphones only, obviously. Wow, those were the days huh? Another memory...in music class. On Fridays, our teacher let one of us bring in some 45's to spin on the school turntable. I brought in Bad, Bad, Leroy Brown. (7th grade). I promply got sent to the principle's office because the lyrics said "whole damn town" hahahahaha. Imagine that.

Hehe, you didn't broadcast it over the school intercom, did you?

:D

Doug

Been there. Had that shirt. Had that hair. Oh my!
1971!!

I counted eight albums on that list at the beginning of this thread that I don't own. Then and now, lots in surround.

Jack Johnson - Miles
Blood, Sweat and Tears 4
Chase
John Prine 1st
Wings - Michel Colombier w/Bill Medley, Herb Alpert, Paul Williams, Lani Hall
Carpenters
Chicago at Carnegie Hall
Emmit Rhodes
5th - Lee Michaels
Music - Carole King
Mudlark - Leo Kottke

I owned those albums in '71, plus most of the list which began this thread. Lots of allowance $$ spent.

I'm lucky to have the 2LP of the Elton John Show

Last edited by a moderator:

All I remember from seventh grade, Gene, is I contracted appendicitis from a trip to Toronto Canada, flew over Niagara Falls at night and woke up in a local hospital the next day, appendix removed and was later 'thrown out' of the Sodality because the nun deemed me TOO DISRUPTIVE and she also banned 'boy and girl parties' for which I had recorded hours of current rock 'n roll hits off of American Bandstand on my trusty open reel recorder for that specific 'boy and girl soiree!'

DAMN!

See the source image

All I remember from seventh grade, Gene, is I contracted appendicitis from a trip to Toronto Canada, flew over Niagara Falls at night and woke up in a local hospital the next day, appendix removed and was later 'thrown out' of the Sodality because the nun deemed me TOO DISRUPTIVE and she also banned 'boy and girl parties' for which I had recorded hours of current rock 'n roll hits off of American Bandstand on my trusty open reel recorder for that specific 'boy and girl soiree!'

DAMN!

See the source image
I guess in your case that Mother Superior jumped the gun!

Hehe, you didn't broadcast it over the school intercom, did you?

:D

Doug
One of my fondest memories of junior high was the day that the principal came over the intercom at about 2:30 in the afternoon to make some trivial announcement. He forgot to turn off the microphone when he was done so the whole school inadvertently got to listen for ten minutes to a radio broadcast of the MLB World Series.

Back