What about Hype-stickers?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Sorry mods, I have no clue where to post this....
These Jethro Tull and Marillion releases come in the book sized sets. There is some sort of hype sticker attached to the outer wrap. I'll admit, I cut the sticker off, tape it up with some clear shipping tape and recut the edges and stick it in a little snack sized ziplock baggie. Fine.

Now, lately, with these larger boxsets that are more like the king sized ones, they come with a heavy paper type page that is simply seperate from the box itself. Sometimes, it's sort of stickied to the back of the box. Other times, like with the new Jethro Tull, it's just on the front...same size as the book. I mean, WTF are we supposed to do with these? I'd love to save it, but how? I don't want to fold it in half, that would ruin it.

What you'all do?

The ones we have fit right on top of set/ lid doesn't seem to ruin/exact size inside. But no idea of all of them of course

I had the same problem with several deluxe sets, most notably the McCartney sets.
Probably crazy, but I purchased an oversized photo album to store them in
Am I missing something, are the stickers worth something? Mine go in the bin with the wrapping
I have seen albums sell for more when they are sealed or have the shrink wrap still intact and also have the hype stickers attached.
Probably the pack rat in me, but I've been saving the stickers since the late 70's.
I always trim the shrink film off and tuck them away somewhere.

I've kept most of them too. After I bought In Color at one of the local head shop/jean store/record stores, I saw it at K-Mart with a big hype sticker that proclaimed at the top "Beatles with balls" but I already had a copy so didn't buy it. I started clipping them off the shrink and storing it inside next to the inner sleeve. Nostalgia I guess.

Am I missing something, are the stickers worth something? Mine go in the bin with the wrapping

I surmise that the only way these stickers are 'worth something' is if the entire box set remains unwrapped. It's useless to most of us unwrapped, but still a collector's item.

I surmise that the only way these stickers are 'worth something' is if the entire box set remains unwrapped. It's useless to most of us unwrapped, but still a collector's item.

Im quite sure there is no monetary value. To me its just a 'feel good' story. Opening some overpriced box set or import cd, trimming up the hype sticker and including it somewhere within the box or case. Its pathetically fun for me. 😬

I always got a kick out of the hype stickers for a new album that would try to predict the future. Specifically, when the sticker lists a “hit single” that was far from being a hit.

and that is exactly why its a 'hype' sticker. lol
also ----Ive bought used product on ebay and or discogs and discovered the hype sticker in with the goods.
its good to see someone else as eccentric as me

I had hoped that the recent deluxe All Things Must Pass by George Harrison would have included a replica of the original 'Colorforms type' hype sticker. Maybe one of the LP re-issues did, or maybe that big Gnome Crate Edition?

1683650990427.png

I scoffed at this one from Down in The Groove by Bob Dylan when I first saw it. "1988 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductee".
Oh, that Bob Dylan! :rolleyes:

1683651668746.png

If the inner sleeve is just a regular white, I'll put the sticker there.
Sometimes I put it in a diary.
I don't like to keep them on the sleeve. I want it as clean as possible, and actually dislike signed records.
The autograph usually looks cluttered to me.
But if I got a signed album with Madonna or Dolly Parton, I wouldn't complain. :)

Back