What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t buy LPs from eBay very often but this still sealed box set was super cheap and arrived in perfect condition in just two days:

BGR1.JPG

More QS Matrx for my pile..

( Toshiba. EMI QS LF-91006 -Yomi-Kyo Pops III )-
( Vangaurd. QS 4R-5003 -Tchaikovsky Symphony No.4 In F Minor )-
( Ex Libris. QS EL 16669 -Sonaten Fur. Orgel :2 LP set )-
( AB Europafilm. QS EFG-LM-7369 -Lars Samuelson Dance-Party )-
( King. QS 455 -Japanese Light Music :7" ep )-
( Project3. QS 4R-21 -Golden Movie Hit/ Enoch Light & The Light BRIGADE )-
( King. QS 4K-5 -V.A. Singing )-
IMG_4179.JPG
IMG_4180.jpg
IMG_4182.JPG
IMG_4182A.JPG
IMG_4182b.jpg
IMG_4227.jpg
IMG_4227A.jpg
IMG_4227B.jpg
IMG_4236.jpg
IMG_4238.jpg

Last edited:
Since Fizzy mentioned the Pye label QS discs a few weeks back I've been looking for interesting releases from them and have just taken delivery of this one (although it turns out to have been a licenced re-issue of a French disc):

P1010671.JPG

P1010675.JPG

There don't seem to have ben many Quad era recordings of the Vaughn Williams symphonies, which is a shame, but I got hold of this one recently:

P1010676.JPG

The remainder of this week's deliveries are all still sealed copies - including two opera box sets:
Andriana Lecouvreur:

P1010693.JPG

Macbeth:

P1010768.JPG

P1010772.JPG

and finally this rather strikingly packaged Tchaikovsky 4 from Leonard Bernstein to complement BBQ's Stokowski version:

P1010775.JPG

Last edited:
I started the week by getting this still sealed opera by Puccini. One of those later CBS one's where they'd stopped mentioning on the artwork that it was quad! “Edgar” is not a work that seems to be recorded much, and I’ve never seen it performed. I’m probably about to find out why (!)…

PEDG1.JPG

and also.....

The other acquisitions were of rather more mainstream repertoire, namely-
Handel Organ Concertos
It’s another of those EMI releases with a multitude of identities across the packaging and the discs (this one has the marks of EMI/HMV (both in English & German)/ Electrola/Musica Prae Classica & Pathe Marconi):

HKO1.JPG

HKO2.JPG

HKO3.JPG

Haydn String Quartets:
HSQT1.JPG

HSQT2.JPG

HSQT3.JPG

HSQT4.JPG

and also....

Last edited:
Now here’s an interesting one I’ve just received:

BMTD1.JPG

This box set of a live recording of Bruckner’s Mass & Te Deum was made, according to the accompanying booklet, as follows-

BMTD2.JPG

The German text reads “This record album contains the live recording of the concert of the 5th December 1976 in the Tonhalle Zurich. The Zurich Tonhalle Society attaches great importance to the fact that the recording was made after two orchestral rehearsals” Not quite sure if they are pointing this out because they feel that after two rehearsals this is a really fine performance or because they are apologising that since there were only two rehearsals this is not a good performance!!

BMTD3.JPG

What is even stranger is that although the recording was made by Swiss company Phonoag AG, the box, the booklet and the records themselves carry no record company branding whatsoever!

Although it does not say so anywhere, I can only assume that this was a private / non-commercial recording (maybe by the Tonhalle Society?). This would seem to tie in with the inscription on the label that shows that this was a pressing limited to 1,000 discs-

BMTD4.JPG

However it came to be made, it's good to have another live concert quad recording in the collection and it doesn't look as though these discs have ever been played.

Great haul as usual there Bill! I wish I could read Japanese because I'm completely baffled by the diagrams accompanying that QX disc. In particular it seems to show a rather strange speaker layout
IMG_4332.JPG

and I've no idea what sort of decoder would provide you with those five outputs. Its all Greek to me!

Great haul as usual there Bill! I wish I could read Japanese because I'm completely baffled by the diagrams accompanying that QX disc. In particular it seems to show a rather strange speaker layout
View attachment 38209
and I've no idea what sort of decoder would provide you with those five outputs. Its all Greek to me!

Hi. Soundfield

I to would like to be able to read Japanese as well, there has not been any English technical information released out side of Japan on these Matrix systems QX -QR -RM there`s a couple more I cant think of hand, but I think for sure that the RM Matrix is QS but for the rest of the matrix they must have a similar formula to QS and that's why QS hard ware does a better job of decoding, than there own original hard ware even though it might not be a correct decode.
We can only speculate what this diamond shape system is but..
The SM and my QS units do a grate job of decoding these systems...

Last edited:
We can only speculate what this diamond system is but..

In trying to find out more I stumbled across this posing here on QQ from Mark Anderson from a few years back which shows a QX decoder:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/japanese-qx-matrix.17512/post-236305
it would seem that QX was basically just a variant of the Hafler-Dynaco diamond system. Doesn't look like anyone other than Denon showed any interest. Amazing that there are LPs surviving from such a rare, short-lived format (and you must have them all!)

Was it his anniversary that flushed them out? - I keep coming across Bernstein recordings I hadn't managed to get before, and last week the postman brought me this little pile -
Starting with that Nielsen Symphony No.2 that coincidentally Sjcorne unearthed a couple of weeks back:
BNS21.JPG

BNS22.JPG

BNS23.JPG

plus his version of The Planets that I've long wanted to hear in quad:
BHP1.JPG

BHP2.JPG

BHP3.JPG

and this Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No.1 which I've not seen on sale anywhere before in this still sealed mint condition:
BTC1.JPG

BTC2.JPG

Hi. Soundfield

I to would like to be able to read Japanese as well, there has not been any English technical information released out side of Japan on these Matrix systems QX -QR -RM there`s a couple more I cant think of hand, but I think for sure that the RM Matrix is QS but for the rest of the matrix they must have a similar formula to QS and that's why QS hard ware does a better job of decoding, than there own original hard ware even though it might not be a correct decode.
We can only speculate what this diamond shape system is but..

I found this, maybe could be of use. I haven't tried it yet. For iPhones.

TRANSLATE.jpg

Was it his anniversary that flushed them out? - I keep coming across Bernstein recordings I hadn't managed to get before, and last week the postman brought me this little pile -
Starting with that Nielsen Symphony No.2 that coincidentally Sjcorne unearthed a couple of weeks back:
View attachment 38266
View attachment 38267
View attachment 38268
plus his version of The Planets that I've long wanted to hear in quad:
View attachment 38269
View attachment 38270
View attachment 38271
and this Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No.1 which I've not seen on sale anywhere before in this still sealed mint condition:
View attachment 38272
View attachment 38273

Larry Keyes does Lenny B! (i spy The Planets & that Tchaikovsky were both mixed in Quad by my hero Larry Keyes, the Nielsen Quad mix appears to be uncredited).. i bet the mix of The Planets on that SQ LP knocks the Sony SACD surround shambles into a cocked hat! :p

...plus his version of The Planets that I've long wanted to hear in quad:

Be sure to let us know how this sounds! It's said to be one of CBS' classical "surround spectaculars" with an aggressive quad mix, like the Bartok Concerto. The Q8 popped up last month, but unfortunately I missed it. Maybe someone else here got it?

Hopefully it's on Dutton's radar...

Back