What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sealed copy of Patmos - A Message to mankind, not sure what format this is (if at all) <$10. Anyone listened to this?
patmos1.jpg
patmos2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi. furui_suterioo

My hunch it would be QS matrix if it was SQ matrix it would say it some ware on the cover or the LP..
BBQ....

Listening to it now.. I think youre right, it sounds better in QS. Interesting record, singing accompanied by an electronic harpsichord, voices and sound effects coming from all around with ambience/echo, very much like Superstar except its about Revelation

My recollection is that if SQ were used, there would be a licensing fee which would allow and perhaps require an SQ logo.

QS had a licensing payment to Sansui ONLY IF the logo or QS name were used. Otherwise, there would be no licensing fee at all.

If it says nothing or something like "compatible quadraphonic" it is almost certain to be QS or RM.

Hi. furui_suterioo

My hunch it would be QS matrix if it was SQ matrix it would say it some ware on the cover or the LP..
BBQ....

I'm a big fan of the music of Korngold, but don't know his music for Much Ado About Nothing so am looking forward to listening to this still sealed disc that arrived today:

But like most of these Candide / Vox releases it carries a blurb with some questionable claims:

I'm really not sure what "improved full fidelity" stereo playback means but I can't see how it could arise from QS encoding (QS didn't have the good stereo performance of SQ and I think most stereo only listeners would have been seriously underwhelmed by QS discs)!

I'm really not sure what "improved full fidelity" stereo playback means but I can't see how it could arise from QS encoding (QS didn't have the good stereo performance of SQ and I think most stereo only listeners would have been seriously underwhelmed by QS discs)!
Being an SQ fan for a long time, it seems that QS is better at decoding and gives a better separation than SQ , at least with the AA scripts...regarding the "full fidelity" my best guess is that , like SQ, there is no frequency cutoff (like with CD-4) so you get the full freq spectrum (>20K)...

I'm waiting for a candide/vox to come in the mail, it is "supposedly" dbx encoded but is says "recorded with dolby s/n stretcher" on the back of the cover so I dont see how it could be dbx encoded. paid $15 including shipping, there is another one on ebay which also has a dbx sticker and they want $80 for it

Attachments

• candide1.jpg
    candide1.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 161
  • candide2.jpg
    candide2.jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 163
I'm waiting for a candide/vox to come in the mail, it is "supposedly" dbx encoded but is says "recorded with dolby s/n stretcher" on the back of the cover so I dont see how it could be dbx encoded. paid $15 including shipping, there is another one on ebay which also has a dbx sticker and they want $80 for it

It IS dbx encoded. Those round stickers were used on early dbx encoded LP's. It is certainly legitimate. Later stickers look similar, but the circle is on a "medallion" shaped sticker. IF you do not have a dbx decoder, it will sound pretty lacking in low end and sound unbalanced, though listenable.

Trust me, the LP IS dbx encoded, but only the copies with the dbx sticker. All others would be normal LP's, not dbx encoded.

Dolby n/r refers to the original recording n/r used. dbx LPs' source recordings could be recorded with or without any noise reduction, even digital recordings. It need to be encoded to be decoded w/dbx. dbx was often used as n/r for master tapes, but that is a bit different format, albeit similar.

Last edited:
It IS dbx encoded. Those round stickers were used on early dbx encoded LP's. It is certainly legitimate. Later stickers look similar, but the circle is on a "medallion" shaped sticker. IF you do not have a dbx decoder, it will sound pretty lacking in low end and sound unbalanced, though listenable.

Trust me, the LP IS dbx encoded.
coool, I do have a dbx model 128 and one other dbx record, Crusaders - Ongaku Kai Live. I've read about Dolby and DBX being incompatible, interesting that this record mentions both names, is "s/n stretcher" compatible with DBX?

coool, I do have a dbx model 128 and one other dbx record, Crusaders - Ongaku Kai Live. I've read about Dolby and DBX being incompatible, interesting that this record mentions both names, is "s/n stretcher" compatible with DBX?

Ongaku Kai (Live in Japan) - Crusaders is the best sounding dbx LP I've ever heard. I have a few dozen dbx LP's. I bought the CD and it sounds poor by comparison, even though it is originally a digital recording!!

I've never seen a dbx LP that has a different cover from its' non-dbx encoded equivalent. The dbx sticker, LP label on each side of discs and deadwax matrix #'s are the only differnt markings from a conventional non-encoded LP.

The blurb on the back of those candide/vox LP's refers to how they were recorded. dbx records are encoded in the same way your recording cassette or reel deck would encode those tapes IF you run them through your dbx 128 during the recording off those tapes. Think of LP's like prerecorded tapes that only say Dolby n/r if that physical tape was encoded during dubbing or recording. Prior to the cutting head/lathe, the LP is encoded using somthing equivalent to your dbx 128.

The source may have been recorded as Dolby A, B, or C n/r or dbx n/r. The master tape would then need to be decoded by whichever n/r was used in recording and then transferred to disc or tape and encoded with whatever n/r the consumer LP or tape chooses to encoded with. Usually, LP's do not encode for antyhing other than dbx or Dolby B (very few.) Yes, Quad LP's are encoded or modulated for 4 channels in two walls of a record groove.

Being an SQ fan for a long time, it seems that QS is better at decoding and gives a better separation than SQ , at least with the AA scripts...regarding the "full fidelity" my best guess is that , like SQ, there is no frequency cutoff (like with CD-4) so you get the full freq spectrum (>20K)...

QS has good diagonal channel separation but poor adjacent channel separation. As a result the front image is narrowed and compromises stereo playback. SQ was designed to optimise front channel separation (at the expense of front – rear separation) and as such is almost fully stereo compatible. Conversely QS has good mono compatibility but SQ is poor in this regard. Neither SQ nor QS formats have significant deviations from conventional stereo LPs in terms of frequency response (but they certainly aren’t any better).

Just came in earlier today - Been after this one for a while:

message_SQ.jpg

The O'Jays collection is complete! (yes, I know Family Reunion has the stereo jacket but it is the SQ LP inside). Now what I'd really like is SACD reissues to pair with each of them :)

ojays_sqs.jpg

Last edited:
Just came in earlier today - Been after this one for a while:

View attachment 40944

The O'Jays collection is complete (yes, I know Family Reunion has the stereo jacket but it is the SQ LP inside)! Now what I'd really like is SACD reissues to pair with each of them :)

View attachment 40946

Congrats and pats on the back, no Backstabbing! :ROFLMAO:

The O'Jays MITM was the first SQ LP i bought! i was so impressed just running it thru PLII, it convinced me to get a Surround Master to do it justice - and by lummee it did! 🤩

"..shoo-bee-doo-bee-doo
shoo-bee-doo-bee-doo
shoo-pa-do-da-da
doop-a-doop-a-doo!
weeeeeee've got a message in our muuuuusic,
there's a message in our song,
so open your hears
and listen here!"

:phones

(if DV do any of these on MC SACD i'll spontaneously combust!!!)

Hi. All
More matrix LP`s I went a little crazy buying these it was a Australian On eBay selling these records individually and had a make a offer on each one so I put a silly price on each one & he accepted that price and he combined the lot for a cheaper postage so here they are....
BBQ..

( Candide Vox. QS QCE 31102 -Pierne Piano Concerto in C minor Lalo Piano Concerto in F minor )-
( Candide Vox. QS QCE 31090 -Mihaly Mosonyi Piano Concerto Ferdinand Hiller Piano Concerto, Op. 113 )-
( Turnabout Vox. QS QTV-S 34589 -Ravel Piano in G Piano Concerto in D For The Left Hand )-
( Turnabout Vox. QS QTV-S 34665 -Mrs. Amy Beach Cuncerto for Piano and Orchestra Daniel Gregory Mason Prelude & Fuge for Piano and Orchestra )-
( Turnabout Vox. QS QTV-S 34662 -Mendekssohn Concerto in D minor for Violin, Strings Orchestra )-
( Turnabout Vox. QS QTV-S 34587 -Faure Ballade - Fantaisie - Pelleas et Malisande )-
( Turnabout Vox. QS QTV-S 34683 -Aaron Coplandiano Concerto Samuel Barberano Concerto )-
( Turnabout Vox. QS QTV-S 34708 -Liszt Transcriptions For Piano & Orchestra )-
( EMI World Record Club. SQ QR 05537 -Rachmanov Rapsody on a Theme of Paganibi )-
( EMI World Record Club. SQ QR 05866 -Weber Invitation To The Dance )-

Last edited:
I'm beginning to think that if you've been searching for and touching quadraphonic albums long enough, that you actually develop the ability to sense them (as though they're calling to you from all four corners).

I recently doubled back on Bach: The Six Brandenburg Concertos (Columbia Masterworks M2 31398) while flipping through records, for no explicable reason. It was the stereo album cover, and I found that one record was missing, but that the record that remained was the quadraphonic version in a nice condition Columbia SQ sleeve. Talk about random luck. It's happened once before, but that time I found a Columbia SQ sleeve (only) in a Henry Mancini album I was interested in anyway.

During the same record pick, I came across another Vox Box (QSVBX 5147 Mendelssohn: All the String Symphonies). The interesting thing with this one, is that the catalog number on the cover includes "Q", which tipped me off, but that only disc 3 is explicitly labelled as "Quadraphonic Stereo Compatible" in the typical Turnabout/Vox fashion. The other two records include "Q" in the label number, but that's it. And, the numbers in the run out groove don't include "Q". Anyone know if this is a labeling gaff, or did this set ever come out in plain stereo? The copyright is 1978, but the booklet is missing, so I don't see the standard Turnabout/Vox QS paragraph.

Vox Box QSVBX 5147 Mendelssohn box.jpg Vox Box QSVBX 5147 Mendelssohn records.jpg

Back