What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iirc the mix on this one (as decoded through the Surround Master) was good and active but by golly the SQ LP sounded pretty "meh", like it was congested by compression or something!? also the sides way too long so with all the dynamic boom-bang-a-banging at the end of the side everything fell apart when it got to the good bit, the sound wasn't as explosive as i was hoping for! 💣 (and this was on my SL1210 setup for CD-4, all adjusted to handle IGD and all the other stuff for that finickity system not my previous toytown Pro-Ject TT).
fwiw i picked up the Q8 not long after but my Akai went into a coma before i could record the tape into the computer :sleep: maybe one of these days i'll get around to resurrecting it and doing the 1812 (unless DV get there first! not sure if they would tackle it, hasn't it been done to death!?

Thanks for that - I'm not really surprised by your impressions, the CBS/Columbia gold border LPs were rather hit and miss things - there didn't seem to be much consistency in their approach to production. I'm sure you're right that they've tried to cram too much on the disc especially as they seem to have created a longer version of the overture (were did the stuff for military band and choir come from?!). I'd planned to do a direct comparison with the Electrola version under Previn I got a little while ago:

but I suspect I know which will win!

Thanks for that - I'm not really surprised by your impressions, the CBS/Columbia gold border LPs were rather hit and miss things - there didn't seem to be much consistency in their approach to production. I'm sure you're right that they've tried to cram too much on the disc especially as they seem to have created a longer version of the overture (were did the stuff for military band and choir come from?!). I'd planned to do a direct comparison with the Electrola version under Previn I got a little while ago:
View attachment 40103
but I suspect I know which will win!

there can only be one!! :dance

...let the battle commence..!!!
(cue the 1812!!) 🎺 🎻🔨

🤼‍♂️💣🧨🎆🏳

Hi. All

More matrix`s LP`s to my pile.

( Diatone King Records. RM=QS NDS-157 -Diatone 4Channel Test Record RM )-
( TOSHIBA. RM=QS TX4-3009 -4 Channel RM Sound )-
( Teichiku Records. QS MX-4004 -Tokyo Cuban Boys )-
( PYE. QS QA-8-Y -Quadraphonic Popular Hits Concert )-
( Sharp Optonica. QS NAS-237 -Optonica 4channel )-

Hi. All

More matrix`s LP`s to my pile.

( Diatone King Records. RM=QS NDS-157 -Diatone 4Channel Test Record RM )-
( TOSHIBA. RM=QS TX4-3009 -4 Channel RM Sound )-
( Teichiku Records. QS MX-4004 -Tokyo Cuban Boys )-
( PYE. QS QA-8-Y -Quadraphonic Popular Hits Concert )-
( Sharp Optonica. QS NAS-237 -Optonica 4channel )-

View attachment 40193View attachment 40194
View attachment 40195
View attachment 40196
View attachment 40197View attachment 40198View attachment 40199View attachment 40200View attachment 40201View attachment 40202View attachment 40203
The BBQ gettin’ a little hot ‘n spicy 🥵

I do have this record and a couple of other PDU quad pressings. Been awhile since I played it. If I get time this weekend I'll look for it and check out its quaddiness.the music is great.
i was a little afraid to buy it because of the shortened versions of the songs but the original ash ra tempel record is out of my price range so this will due for nowe

Hey Furui I found my copy and im playing it now. Side 1 wasn't very long but the selections flow well
This is an ambient mix not discrete but works well with this type music.
You 'll like it.

Back in October I 'accidentally' bought a CD-4 LP set of Massenet's Thais:
Thais
What I intended to buy (!) was the SQ version, and I finally got around to correcting my mistake this by taking delivery of this box today:

NB
Incidentally, since I've no means of playing discrete records, if anyone in the UK would like that sealed CD-4 set FOC then PM me and I'll stick it in the post to you.

Back in October I 'accidentally' bought a CD-4 LP set of Massenet's Thais:
Thais
What I intended to buy (!) was the SQ version, and I finally got around to correcting my mistake this by taking delivery of this box today:

View attachment 40277

View attachment 40278

View attachment 40279

View attachment 40280

View attachment 40281

NB
Incidentally, since I've no means of playing discrete records, if anyone in the UK would like that sealed CD-4 set FOC then PM me and I'll stick it in the post to you.

i'd gladly demodulate that heaving bosom of CD-4 Quadness for you! :love:

Hi. All

More matrix LP`s to my pile..

( Vanguard. SQ VSQ-30012 -Martin Berinbaum :New Factory Sealed )-
( EMI Angel. SQ SS-45010 -Waldteufel: Waltzes :45rpm: New Factory Sealed )-
(Toho Records. QS AX-2002 -Light Music )-
( Tam. QS MX 0015-16 -L` Heritier Screen Big Hits De Luxe : 2 LP Set )-

Over the past few months I thought I’d acquired pretty much all of the Deutsch Harmonia Mundi SQ titles (excepting the few that aren’t really to my musical taste) so was intrigued to come across this one that I’d never seen before and have just taken delivery of it:

It came from Brazil but I didn’t expect it to actually be to be a Brazilian release!

It seems to have no European equivalent as a quad issue (the only European pressing I could find for this recording is stereo only) and has a number that is completely different to the format of the European DHM releases. I’ve no idea if there were any others in this series made in Brazil. All very interesting.

Hey, Bill,

I'd love to get your thoughts on the fidelity, performance and mix on 45 rpm Waldteufel Waltzes.

I bought a couple in that series when they were new and I had just upgraded to moving coil. I lost interest when CD came out, mainly based on abbreviated 45 albums. But, I love the sound at 45. Now, they're doing them on 2 45 rpm LP's.

Hey, Bill,

I'd love to get your thoughts on the fidelity, performance and mix on 45 rpm Waldteufel Waltzes.

I bought a couple in that series when they were new and I had just upgraded to moving coil. I lost interest when CD came out, mainly based on abbreviated 45 albums. But, I love the sound at 45. Now, they're doing them on 2 45 rpm LP's.

Hi. QuadLinda

I`ll have to get back to you on this request, when I get a load of LPs I give them a thorough cleaning with my Ultrasonic machine then I start and record them to my computer as raw wave files even sealed LP`s
So I will get there very soon.
BBQ...

I see Victor, Polydor, United Artists and Parkway labels, why didn't we get these covers here in North America??? That is just the tip of the, er, iceberg from Japan. For some strange reason, nude white females are very popular for LP cover art in Japan. Not for export of course, which is why the quad titles were mostly of asian music. Just imagine if the US had used nude females on LP jackets, quad would have won the format war. If Chubby Checker had covers like this, he would have been bigger than Elvis.

Back