What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. All
Came in to day ( Rio Piedras Records, Inc. SQ? Lissette ) I have not tested this one out yet.
Bill..

View attachment 22062
trust me. I've tried to get ALL of the contacts in Puerto Rico to let me know ANY info- I even asked her myself several times on FB , but I gave up since I got no reply...from anyone!!!
From the label, it has a 99% probability of this being SQ.

Lissette is a Cuban singer raised in PR born of Cuban parents who were also singers: "Olga y Tony".... who , obviously got the hell out of Dodge when Fidel raised to power in Cuba....

I wanted a copy, but I'm guessing this is typical ballady scmaltz from the mid 70s ...recorded and mixed terribly (PR recordings from that era were ATROCIOUS-they had great gear, but nobody knew how to use it!!!
I even remember going to WAPA-TV, Channel 4 in San Juan, and interviewing for a Sound engineer job and being shown a 24 track studio with all the bells and whistles...THAT HADN'T BEEN USED IN YEARS!!!!

(shaking my head)

Anyway, I'm almost sure it's SQ...

I have been trying to get some of these tittles at a good fixed price, but they seem to be in the high price rang even the CD Quad versions are the same. They say they have a very good Quad mix.
Bill...

The Ashra Tempels I recently noticed are being reissued in cd on a German label.Some years back I also noticed an lp repressing of Cosmic Jokers which should be still available.

As you surmised the quad is quite good on some of these titles........BBQ .

I'll try an keep an eye out for any used copies.BBQ.

My observations (quad listening pleasure) indications for quad and great prog performances, would be any of the COSMIC COURRIER compilations and most all of ASHRA TEMPEL'S discs.
Such would be my recommendations.

Speaking of "repressings"?

Here's a Bluethumb QS disc reissued (1980), on MCA records

20151008_194344.jpg20151008_194354.jpg20151008_194425.jpg20151008_194458.jpg

MCA RECORDS released/repressed a number of QS discs in late 79 early 80's.I remember seeing BB KING Greatest Hits in ample numbers, in this MCA Records reissue series, previously available on ABC Records.

"Put your hands together" for The O'Jays' Ship Ahoy in glorious Quadraphonic!

Fred, were the many SQ LPs you own pressed in the UK, or were they imported into England back in the day from the US? Most look exactly like the US pressings, and maybe they were pressed there in the UK originally as well, but US copies could be more common today over there now.

Two more recent finds for me, Steely Dan and BOC. Secret Treaties is supposedly a Promo, but stamp is only on the cover so not sure I believe that.
View attachment 22077
View attachment 22078

These are two really nice ones, and not real common in near mint condition. I need them both, just for the mix differences, not to play them in quad. Is the "Can't Buy a Thrill" in good shape?

I'm a big fan of playing SQ and CD-4 in stereo.

Speaking of "repressings"?

Here's a Bluethumb QS disc reissued (1980), on MCA records

View attachment 22083View attachment 22084View attachment 22085View attachment 22086

MCA RECORDS released/repressed a number of QS discs in late 79 early 80's.I remember seeing BB KING Greatest Hits in ample numbers, in this MCA Records reissue series, previously available on ABC Records.

That reminds me, thanks FW!
I've got Dan Hicks' Striking It Rich on CD somewhere (which supposedly has the QS encoding intact?) I must give it a go thru the Surround Master and see how they get along!

That reminds me, thanks FW!
I've got Dan Hicks' Striking It Rich on CD somewhere (which supposedly has the QS encoding intact?) I must give it a go thru the Surround Master and see how they get along!
It was only released in QS IIRC. So all copies are QS encoded.

I love Thomas Dolby's cover of I Scare Myself BTW.. which works really well on the Surround Master...

Fred, were the many SQ LPs you own pressed in the UK, or were they imported into England back in the day from the US? Most look exactly like the US pressings, and maybe they were pressed there in the UK originally as well, but US copies could be more common today over there now.

That's a very good question! :upthumb

I'll try to answer as comprehensively as possible :eek:

- All the gold bordered SQ LPs (with the exception of Percy Faith's Clair and Kristofferson's Border Lord from U.S.) were from UK and European sellers,

- Most of the Philadelphia International SQ LPs were from UK and Europe with the exception of War Of The Gods, O'Jays Live and Ship Ahoy,

- Isleys Live It Up was from U.S., Harvest For The World from Europe and 3 + 3 Japanese SQ from Australia,

- MFSB - Philadelphia Freedom from Germany, El Sonido De Filadelfia from Spain,

- E,W&F Head To The Sky UK sleeve with SQ sticker on front cover from UK seller (disc has gold labels and presume is U.S pressing but not sure), Spirit (presumed U.S pressing) from UK seller and That's The Way Of The World (also presumed U.S. pressing) from Europe,

- Janis Ian / Aftertones from Europe,

- Loggins & Messina - Full Sail UK, Native Sons U.S.,

- Mountain - Avalanche from Europe,

- New Riders Purple Sage / Adventures Panama Red from UK,

- Poco / Crazy Eyes from Europe, Seven & Cantanamos from U.S.,

- Charlie Rich - Behind Closed Doors U.S, Special Love Songs U.K.,

- Santana / Welcome & Love Devotion Surrender from UK,

- Weather Report - Mysterious Traveller and Tale Spinnin' both from Europe,

- Larry Coryell w/Eleventh House Euro pressing from Germany,

- A number of U.S Columbia titles were UK imports with some labelled and stickered "CBS" etc,
including; BJ's Turnstiles, Santana's Greatest, Neil Diamond - Serenade, Paul Simon - There Goes Rhymin & Still Crazy.., Garfunkel's Angel Clare, Johnnie Taylor's Eargasm, BT Express - Energy To Burn,

- Several Israeli SQ pressings (with different sleeve art and vinyl labels from the U.S pressings) almost all from Israeli sellers; including.. Santana - Amigos & Festival, Chicago IX, Jeff Beck - Wired,

..the rest are U.S from U.S sellers with a few possible exceptions I can't recall off the top of my head but will double check tomorrow.

Of the 10 QS LPs I have so far 7 were from sellers in Europe and the U.K.,
with Gato Barbieri, Laura Coming Apart and Can't Buy A Thrill from the U.S.

It was only released in QS IIRC. So all copies are QS encoded.

I love Thomas Dolby's cover of I Scare Myself BTW.. which works really well on the Surround Master...

Thanks for the confirmation on the Dan Hicks, LK :upthumb

Wasn't there some Thomas Dolby stuff that was Surround (like Pro Logic or Q Sound or something) encoded? Rings a distant bell..

That's a very good question! :upthumb

- Loggins & Messina - Full Sail UK,

Ok, if you could do one more thing. Tell us exactly the matrix numbers on this album, SQ pressed in the UK. Just so we can make sure it is not from US plates, but in fact cut from masters in the UK. This way we can be certain that the 4-chan tapes were in the UK for this album.

I wonder if there was a Q8 issued in England of this title as well that you know of?

Just a little research I am doing.... wondering where those quad master tapes might now be located.

Last edited:
Has it been proven by independent sources, and various parties that all LP copies of Lotus are the SQ mix? And that the CD is as well?

I had the Holland pressing, and then later got a Japanese pressing with the SQ quad logos, and swore that they sounded different mix wise, but never decoded either.

Hi. quicksrt
I cant verify if there where a post here on QQ about this matter, but the 3 lp set I have is a Japanese version and it is defiantly Quad SQ, may be Quad Linda can shine some light on the matter.
Bill..

Has it been proven by independent sources, and various parties that all LP copies of Lotus are the SQ mix? And that the CD is as well?

I had the Holland pressing, and then later got a Japanese pressing with the SQ quad logos, and swore that they sounded different mix wise, but never decoded either.

Back