What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been Busy :)

YEAY!! :upthumb Congrats!! :wave

Condition of the sleeves on many of your new acquisitions looks phenomenal, I wish I could get that lucky! :p

Speaking of lucky, that Poco "Seven" SQ is excellent right from the get go!

"Driving Wheel" is a great little rocker and the Quad is textbook.. it starts off with a vocal left, then a vocal right, then another vocal dead centre, then all 3 vocalists in unison across the front soundstage.. just beautiful.. this would check your channel assignment and phase too because without it correctly setup you would not get the full effect imho.. oh and then the harmonies kick in the rears and its an all round assault.. the band just KICK A$$ on this one, gorgeous! I REALLY hope AF get around to releasing this one in Surround SACD).

The last couple of tracks on the Edgar Winter - Jasmine Nightdreams will really test your SQ decoding abilities (and serve as a handy channel check!!) Many, many round the room pans (and many that go rear right, front right, front left, rear left and then back again to front left, front right, rear right and then back round again, rear right, front right, front left, rear left to almost dizzying effect...!!) I absolutely love it!!

Whats the "Environments" disc? Never seen that before!

Hi. quicksrt
I cant verify if there where a post here on QQ about this matter, but the 3 lp set I have is a Japanese version and it is defiantly Quad SQ, may be Quad Linda can shine some light on the matter.
Bill..

I have a copy of Lotus on LP somewhere (from my pre-Quad days, it would be highly unlikely to be an SQ labelled pressing) which I now annoyingly cannot lay my hands on since the move. It'll turn up eventually no doubt and will check it out thru the Surround Master when I do.

Ok, if you could do one more thing. Tell us exactly the matrix numbers on this album, SQ pressed in the UK. Just so we can make sure it is not from US plates, but in fact cut from masters in the UK. This way we can be certain that the 4-chan tapes were in the UK for this album.

I wonder if there was a Q8 issued in England of this title as well that you know of?

Just a little research I am doing.... wondering where those quad master tapes might now be located.

Sure thing :) Will report back later today with pics.

Looks like it's just the U.S pressing?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks like it's just the U.S pressing?

Oh, I didn't read first, never mind my comments below. Thank you.

Ok, photos are really nice, and they indeed show us what I wanted to know. But the cover and vinyl/labels look like US materials? Is this a UK cover and LP, or US made? You had stated UK issue earlier if I recall correctly.

Ok, photos are really nice, and they indeed show us what I wanted to know. But the cover and vinyl/labels look like US materials? Is this a UK cover and LP, or US made? You had stated UK issue earlier if I recall correctly.

Oh no I said UK bought not UK issue, I've no idea where it was pressed originally or if it was an import back in the day. Are the stampers the same as yours?

I have a copy of Lotus on LP somewhere (from my pre-Quad days, it would be highly unlikely to be an SQ labelled pressing) which I now annoyingly cannot lay my hands on since the move. It'll turn up eventually no doubt and will check it out thru the Surround Master when I do.

Yes, claims were made that all copies were SQ. I think it was made on that other forum. I don't believe it, but ya know how it goes. It was three LPs which would have been six LPs to press. I wonder if there are Japanese copies of Lotus without SQ logos on them?

My Dutch pressing was punchier imo which made me think not SQ.

Oh no I said UK bought not UK issue, I've no idea where it was pressed originally or if it was an import back in the day. Are the stampers the same as yours?

This was my original question: "Fred, were the many SQ LPs you own pressed in the UK, or were they imported into England back in the day from the US? Most look exactly like the US pressings, and maybe they were pressed there in the UK originally as well, but US copies could be more common today over there now."

I wanted to know what got pressed and issued over there from CBS? If this infor is too long ago and nobody knows anymore, then that is that. But I already know quad collectors must scour the earth to collect.

This was my original question: "Fred, were the many SQ LPs you own pressed in the UK, or were they imported into England back in the day from the US? Most look exactly like the US pressings, and maybe they were pressed there in the UK originally as well, but US copies could be more common today over there now."

I wanted to know what got pressed and issued over there from CBS? If this infor is too long ago and nobody knows anymore, then that is that. But I already know quad collectors must scour the earth to collect.

Oh God knows..!! :yikes

Sorry, I got completely the wrong end of the stick of what you were asking, I imagine almost all of them were pressed in the U.S apart from those that say on the label etc etc they were made in Israel, Spain, Japan and Australia.

I can't remember any of the Sony label ones saying they were Made in England but I will go through everything with a fine tooth comb and post little collage pics of each countries releases on here soon.

You know, I've only been collecting these SQ LPs since June of this year, so it's all very very new to me...
I can tell you that comparing the two copies of BT Express - Energy To Burn SQ they are identical save for a red "CBS" sticker over the Columbia logo of the U.S one but the discs are identical so I think they were just imported and then the UK record company put the stickers over them but I don't know it's just a hunch.. either way I will post side by side comparison pics here and you can separate the wheat from the chaff :)

Has it been proven by independent sources, and various parties that all LP copies of Lotus are the SQ mix? And that the CD is as well?

I had the Holland pressing, and then later got a Japanese pressing with the SQ quad logos, and swore that they sounded different mix wise, but never decoded either.

Ive seen people swear up and down on that other forum and this one that there was only the quad master and that the holland copy and the CD were all made off the same quad master as the Japanese LP. I hope so cause the one I got is the Holland copy. I may run it through the surround master. I havent upgraded my SQ chip yet.

YEAY!! :upthumb Congrats!! :wave

Condition of the sleeves on many of your new acquisitions looks phenomenal, I wish I could get that lucky! :p

Speaking of lucky, that Poco "Seven" SQ is excellent right from the get go!

"Driving Wheel" is a great little rocker and the Quad is textbook.. it starts off with a vocal left, then a vocal right, then another vocal dead centre, then all 3 vocalists in unison across the front soundstage.. just beautiful.. this would check your channel assignment and phase too because without it correctly setup you would not get the full effect imho.. oh and then the harmonies kick in the rears and its an all round assault.. the band just KICK A$$ on this one, gorgeous! I REALLY hope AF get around to releasing this one in Surround SACD).

The last couple of tracks on the Edgar Winter - Jasmine Nightdreams will really test your SQ decoding abilities (and serve as a handy channel check!!) Many, many round the room pans (and many that go rear right, front right, front left, rear left and then back again to front left, front right, rear right and then back round again, rear right, front right, front left, rear left to almost dizzying effect...!!) I absolutely love it!!

Whats the "Environments" disc? Never seen that before!

Glad you noticed the immaculate sleeves. The ones with perfect sleeves are from a lot I bought (the ones I just posted in the CD-4 section are from that lot too). They literally look like someone took the plastic off them and then stored them in an airtight chamber for 40 years. Lol. Yay, I love crazy panning. Some of the Santana tunes with fast roundy round panning almost make me sick lol.

Enviroments discs were nature "mood" records mostly with different nature sounds (with notible acception of the Be-In festival sounds 1969, which im desperately trying to find the quad vesrion of). The original SR pressings are all in EV type matrix. The later Atlantic pressings are not quad.

Just before I say "Nite nite y'all" and go bye bye's, this is another instance where I'm glad I didn't 'judge the book by its cover', so to speak.. several of these old SQ LPs I've got since I started 'my SQ Quaddyssey' (TM..! ;) ) have come in the most abysmal shape, well the sleeve at any rate with ringwear and seam splits and stains and all sorts of crap I would never normally live with... but but but the disc inside can be a different story and this old SQ is no exception, it's in great condition and most importantly of all it sounds wonderful..!

Save some light ticks at the beginning of "Diamond Eyes" (bit of a shame, it's a rather nice track but I'll get around to de-clicking it eventually, they're not intrusive enough to matter right now) this is really a delight..

Chainsaw at the end is an absolute riot in Quad with all manner of weird sounds ping ponging about all over the place..! Love it love it love it..!! :banana:

parting thought; maybe AF could negotiate with Johnny Winter's Estate, Edgar Winter and Rick Derringer to get all their Blue Sky Quads out on Surround SACD? So far everyone I've heard has been phenomenally good. Goodnight Quaddies! :upthumb

Has it been proven by independent sources, and various parties that all LP copies of Lotus are the SQ mix? And that the CD is as well?

I had the Holland pressing, and then later got a Japanese pressing with the SQ quad logos, and swore that they sounded different mix wise, but never decoded either.

Here is a screenshot ffrom wikipedia lol. Probably edited by the person who said it in all the forums. Almost uses thier language verbatim. No sources.

ForumRunner_20151013_090305.jpg

But none of that matters cause I listened to the first side last night and it is SQ. I'll see if I have time to make a scope video tonight.

Just before I say "Nite nite y'all" and go bye bye's, this is another instance where I'm glad I didn't 'judge the book by its cover', so to speak.. several of these old SQ LPs I've got since I started 'my SQ Quaddyssey' (TM..! ;) ) have come in the most abysmal shape, well the sleeve at any rate with ringwear and seam splits and stains and all sorts of crap I would never normally live with... but but but the disc inside can be a different story and this old SQ is no exception, it's in great condition and most importantly of all it sounds wonderful..!

Save some light ticks at the beginning of "Diamond Eyes" (bit of a shame, it's a rather nice track but I'll get around to de-clicking it eventually, they're not intrusive enough to matter right now) this is really a delight..

Chainsaw at the end is an absolute riot in Quad with all manner of weird sounds ping ponging about all over the place..! Love it love it love it..!! :banana:

parting thought; maybe AF could negotiate with Johnny Winter's Estate, Edgar Winter and Rick Derringer to get all their Blue Sky Quads out on Surround SACD? So far everyone I've heard has been phenomenally good. Goodnight Quaddies! :upthumb
That is a good one. I have the SQ and Q8 but never was able to decode the SQ properly. Diamond eyes and Chainsaw are also two of my favorite songs but my favorite is Modern Love. It's too short though. Fades out much too quick, just when they really start to get into it. The Q8 really knocks my socks off on that song.

Careful Phillip! You may turn FredBlue into a tracker! Then we won't have any hope of finding any quad online. At least not til he finds it first. I admit to being fascinated by the differences in LP decoding and 8-track discrete quad. They are not always the same mix and the tape sometimes holds up better than a matrix or CD4 disc.

Back