What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought this one for "Angry Eyes". Nice to hear in Quad.

LOGMESS.jpg

Hi. All
More Matrix LP`s...
( Sansui. QSD-2001 For Test & Demonstration )-
( ABC. QM Tont Motola/ Guitar..Paris )-
( CBS. SQ 4Channel Sounds Pack 20 )-
( Pioneer. SQ 4Channel Test Record No.1 )-
( EMI. SQ Tomas Luis De Victoria )-
( CBS. SQ John Philip Sousa The Best OF Sousa Marches )-
Bill..

QS3.jpg
QS2.jpg
qs1.jpg
sq4.jpg
sq2.jpg
sq3.jpg
sq1.jpg
march inner.jpg

Last edited:
Hi. fredblue
Here is the CBS pack 20 I hope you can read it ok

Hi Bill, lovely records thank you for the pics.

What are the track listings of the Pack 20 SQ and the Pioneer SQ Test disc please?
SQ1.jpg

And here is the Pioneer disc but they are in Japanese only

DISC1.jpg
DISC2.jpg

May be Lut image.jpg can help us with this he is from Japan . thanks in addvance

Last edited:
Project 3 Permissive "Quad" by Enoch Light

Multiple format madness EV-4 QS and sorry, wrong thread....CD-4 , but 3 of them make a nicer pic.

20151015_174053.jpg20151015_174109.jpg

And some Ovation Demo EV-4 and perhaps QS, can't be 100% certain, they may all be EV-4?

20151015_173839.jpg20151015_173844.jpg20151015_173858.jpg20151015_173907.jpg20151015_173913.jpg20151015_174003.jpg20151015_174013.jpg

Multiple format madness EV-4 QS and sorry, wrong thread....CD-4 , but 3 of them make a nicer pic.

View attachment 22593View attachment 22594

And some Ovation Demo EV-4 and perhaps QS, can't be 100% certain, they may all be EV-4?

View attachment 22595View attachment 22596View attachment 22597View attachment 22598View attachment 22599View attachment 22600View attachment 22601

The Ovation QD/1 Sampler was done in EV Stereo 4, along with some of Ovation's earlier quad LP's. They eventually switched over to QS, and some of those early albums got re-encoded to take advantage of that. The Project 3 "Permissive Polyphonics" album was only missing an SQ release to have been cut with all quad systems of the era.

View attachment 22593View attachment 22594

View attachment 22595View attachment 22596View attachment 22597View attachment 22598View attachment 22599View attachment 22600View attachment 22601

The Ovation QD/1 Sampler was done in EV Stereo 4, along with some of Ovation's earlier quad LP's. They eventually switched over to QS, and some of those early albums got re-encoded to take advantage of that. The Project 3 "Permissive Polyphonics" album was only missing an SQ release to have been cut with all quad systems of the era.

How elusive that Isleys LP is! What a great score--let us know how it sounds!

Thank you :) It is elusive alright!

I've been wanting to hear the Quad of this one for years but never found a conversion out there.. once I got a Surround Master and heard just how good it is at decoding these old SQ records that was it, I was in hook line and sinker.. I've spent the last nigh on 6 months tracking down as many of these SQ Matrix Quad LPs as possible and am just having the biggest blast ever discovering artist upon artist mix after mix, just a total joy.

I certainly will let you know how it sounds asap, though my first opportunity to give it a try through the SQ Vinyl Surround Master will possibly be Saturday or more likely Monday.. which is kinda rough but when you've waited years to hear something what's another day or three? :eek:

Well I couldn't wait..!! :eek:

Very quick first impression (was mega tired but was so excited for me and for the forum to see what all the fuss is about, or not, so I stayed up late and transferred it over and monitored it in while doing so) first off I really got lucky, the record is absolutely pristine, sleeve has edge wear but the vinyl itself has not a mark on it, I doubt it was hardly played if more than once or twice would be about right.

Yeay great! Or so I thought.. unfortunately Side 1 suffers from numerous over-essed lead vocals (Footsssssstepsss.. you get the picture..!) and is pressed off centre so there's speed wobbles all the way through - annoying and evident throughout but at least there's no piano on this album.. and if this one wasn't as rare as rocking horse sh!t I'd drill a bigger spindle hole to correct it but I'll live with it..

The good news is generally it all sounds wonderful.. I think I've been spoilt (tainted almost) by the stereo which has always sounded very nice if a little bright bordering on the clinical on CD.. this is anything but, it's warm and fuzzy, cymbals are recessed where they are forward in the Stereo mix, this is one you put on and smooch with your gal to late night, it's a smooth number anyway but in Quad it's ultra smooth.. I heard bass notes and low bass drum parts I've never heard before.

I also gave it a very quick flick thru one or two tracks decoded by the Surround Master.. despite those sibilant lead vocals (ultra annoying I don't know if they can be tamed with EQ without ruining everything else!?) absolutely gorgeously those background vocals in Footsteps In The Dark are simply sensational each "ahh-ahh" is beautifully mixed so that the start of their harmony parts appear to come from Front L&R and then wash over you appearing in Rear L&R.. there was another track (I forget now, I'll check it again tomorrow) where a guitar was ping-ponging back and forth from Front and Rear Right.. just superb. Gotta scoot, will report more if I have time over the weekend but so far - mostly - so good.

Butterfly - Barbra Streisand (SQ LP).

Well that's the last Barbra Quad I 'needed' (I doubt I'll bother with the Forum Live as its not supposed to be a particularly engaging Quad mix) and what an eclectic album this is to finish Babs off on! :eek:

When an artist covers Bob Marley, David Bowie, Graham Nash, Bill Withers and Paul Williams on the same album and then wraps it up with "Let The Good Times Roll" you know you're in for a varied record musically if nothing else.. the production values and musicianship from the session men - as is so common with these Columbia/CBS Quads of artists like Andy Williams, Barbra Streisand and Johnny Mathis - is out of this world, with Tom Scott all over the horn and woodwind arrangements and Larry Carlton on guitar.. it's all over the place stylistically but a truly lovely record with a fun factor and an earnest quality at the same time where you feel everybody involved pulled out all the stops to make the best album of kooky covers they could.. very interested to hear how this one plays out in Quad as I've never heard the mixes before.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I got a copy of Johnny Winter - Saints and Sinners off of eBay six months ago to replace a long gone copy.

Tonight I was playing a bunch of my needle drops. This album has great sound - I wonder if we'll ever hear it mastered to SACD? I love the guitar tone he gets in "30 Days" it's a raunchy distorted electric sound with amazing tone.

Bony Moroni he kind of made his own song. Stone County.... This album brings back my childhood when I was running free and running wild!

Last edited:
Fred it looks like you've spent some serious cash on SQ LPs lately.
What did this recent Isleys SQ run you if I may ask?

Fred it looks like you've spent some serious cash on SQ LPs lately.
What did this recent Isleys SQ run you if I may ask?

Yep! ;) I spend serious cash on everything all the time, I've no wife and kids so I blow all my hard-earned on meeeee! :D

Not sure how much, I got it a while back. Hang on I'll check my notes.
Edit: Go For Your Guns SQ was £19.

That's not too bad, other than off center side two issue.

Do you like CD-4 LPs just as much? I tend to like CD-4 so far as playback in stereo goes. They generally sound lovely and with very strong separation, stronger L to R than SQ. But it really comes down to the individual title.

That's not too bad, other than off center side two issue.

Do you like CD-4 LPs just as much? I tend to like CD-4 so far as playback in stereo goes. They generally sound lovely and with very strong separation, stronger L to R than SQ. But it really comes down to the individual title.

Have you tried playing QS records in stereo? With SQ records, sounds that were placed in the rear channels tend to display between the stereo speakers. With QS, the rear sounds tend to come from beyond the stereo speakers, creating a wider image. CD-4 records, played in stereo, simply display the left front and left rear channels on the left, right front and right rear on the right.

Back