Where are these classic concert DVDs?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dprokopy said:
A whole series of all of the "Unplugged" performances would be great. Many have come out individually (I see the Springsteen "Plugged" performance is coming out rather shortly), but it'd be nice to have the whole series redone, with 5.1 sound (these things lend themselves perfectly for that) and possibly bonus performances throughout. Another one I'd personally love to see is the R.E.M. one.

Here is an interesting link from MusicTap about Page & Plant Unledded.
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2004/10/01/164510.php

Great article with kevin Shirley! Not having full documentation leading to a more aggressive 5.1 remix is a blessing.

As to the inevitable hi-rez versions of the studio albums, the longer Kevin waits the better they will turn out to be.

The Zeppelin DVD is remarkable all the way through, considering what he had to work with. Tragedy is not having more to choose from in terms of audio/video/film souce material to pick from.

The Page & Plant Unledded DVD is now available at Best Buy for $11.99. I am looking at my sealed copy as I type this.

The King Crimson Frejus/Live in Japan concerts (on one DVD) have been out since late August, apparently. I got mine from the DGM webite a few weeks ago...it's called 'Neal and Jack and Me - Live 1982 - 1984. Curiosuly, the later concert is in 2.0, while the older one is in 5.1.

http://www.disciplineglobalmobile.com/shop/

As to the inevitable hi-rez versions of the studio albums, the longer Kevin waits the better they will turn out to be.

Not necessarily, since it will be possible to apply 'hi rez' compression and limiting, and thus make it possible to 'maximize' a remaster in the hi-rez domain so they sound as loud and crappy as too many other modern remasters/new releases do.

Sorry, can't help it, but I gotta gloat :rolleyes:

... I somehow got the "Live in Japan" Laserdisc with 2 extra tracks not included on the DVD version (that I know of)
"Discipline" (B bruford fumbles an entrance must be the reason why RF left it out)
"Waiting man" (this one looks fine to me)
I saw them on June 29th 1984 in Philly on this tour and they just blew me away- maybe why I now play the Stick and bass...TONY!!!...:smokin

Here's my wish list:

The Who Rocks America
No Moon, but an excellent show anyway.

David Lee Roth
Pure wacky genius with this big budget video.

Elton Live in Australia
I had the LD and now have the bootleg DVD. It’s a great show, but the PQ needs an extreme remastering over-haul.

Captain Beyond
Live video from back in the day is up on youtube! This will become available on DVD if there is a god.

Lenny Kravitz: Alive From Planet Earth
It’s a shame this isn’t out on DVD. It so eclipses the DVD that is available.

Can we include The Beatles - Let It Be to the list? I mean, it's sorta live....

It's also sorta dead, but let's not go there....:D

Unfortunately, someone(probably Paulie)doesn't want it out...and given what it is, I don't blame him.

I also confess to not understanding why anyone would want to watch it twice, unless it were remastered for true 5.1, which would be fun for the music. But it's really a bummer of a film, and proved beyond doubt why they had to break up and go their own ways.

ED :)

It's also sorta dead, but let's not go there....:D

Unfortunately, someone(probably Paulie)doesn't want it out...and given what it is, I don't blame him.

I also confess to not understanding why anyone would want to watch it twice, unless it were remastered for true 5.1, which would be fun for the music. But it's really a bummer of a film, and proved beyond doubt why they had to break up and go their own ways.

ED :)

I would do with it what I did with Help! and just reauthour the music tracks onto a DVD. That way you can listen to just the songs without having to flip through the movie. It was a bit of a challenge as some of the songs didn't begin on a chapter start but I think it was worth the fiddling to be able to do this.

It's time to revive this thread.

TOM WAITS-BIG TIME

-Had a Vhs and beta hifi of this and I became an instant fan after viewing this film (dolby surround).At the time of it's release Rolling Stone proclaimed it was the best concert film of any they'd seen to date!! It was released in theatres around 88/89.I had my doubts not being a fan at the time, and of course you have to get used to Tom's gravelly voice, but after a couple of listens/views I was hooked.

And since that time I have collected everything WAIT'S ever recorded and I am not at all disappointed! He has to be America's greatest poet and musician( in my opinion).He counts as his fans:Rod Stewart, Keith Richards and Neil Young and is often referred to as the "musician musicians listen to".If you have not seen BIG TIME you must! But I digress, as we still wait for this jewel to be issued.

Anyway it's long overdue for this fan.It was on the Island/Arts label years back.And I for one think it's about time it was released on Blu-Ray or dvd.

thankyou

I'll take TOM WAITS in any suround format.

I was really hoping his DOOM TOUR would've been available in DVD or BLU-RAY? Damn it anyway!

Oh well, some day

RE:TOM WAITS

I should also mention that Tom Waits is a unique actor.I think his latest appearance is on 7 Psychopaths, and has a typical Tom bit on Heath Ledger's last film as the Devil.

But some of the best sounding/visual work he has done besides BIG TIME has to be his music video releases of which I've only seen three to be honest, but they are all a must see for anyone who likes music video. Recommended are:"I DON'T WANT TO GROW UP","DOWNTOWN TRAIN","SON OF RAINDOGS"and "IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD". (whoops saw 4).

This of course leads me to additionally request a DVD or BLU-RAY of TOM WAITS-VIDEO HITS.

I'm sure there's video on the net for all to check out.

Well enough of my Tom Waits rant for now.

derek

Another excellent performance surround release from the VHS/BETA release years.

THE POGUES-ST.PATRICK'S NIGHT

Begs for reissue on DVD or Blu-ray........has Joe Strummer performing with them as a special guest and another late artist besides Joe, Kristy MacColl.

Maybe one day.

Another excellent performance surround release from the VHS/BETA release years.

THE POGUES-ST.PATRICK'S NIGHT

Begs for reissue on DVD or Blu-ray........has Joe Strummer performing with them as a special guest and another late artist besides Joe, Kristy MacColl.

Maybe one day.

BETA?

oh man..you are killing me...like a bad acid trip...giving me major flashbacks...I paid $600 for my Beta machine..had a wired remote(about 6 feet of cord)..oh boy...that thing was like a tank....and when the technology crashed and burned...it wasn't as pretty as the scene in Top Gun...Sony had a great chance and blew it...

Not to worry I no longer own either.

Sorry to know you paid so much ($600) that's steep! For both my old vhs/beta hifi units the prices were well under $300 ea.

But boy do I ever miss some of the Artists Concerts which are not available in DVD-BLURAY!! Damn shame really.

Back