WHO’S NEXT/LIFEHOUSE Box set coming in September 2023 (STEVEN WILSON DOLBY ATMOS & 5.1 MIXES CONFIRMED!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I'm dreaming but this is a magnificent opportunity to reintroduce those Bluray 'Pure Audio' discs and start with this one! There are obviously 100s more recent atmos/5.1 mixes that also could be issued on those 'Pure Audio' Blurays.
I no longer buy these expensive boxes due to finances. The only ones that I will continue to buy are Jimi Hendrix and Jethro Tull within reason of course.

....or maybe not. The Super Deluxe White Album has long been out of print and is commanding hefty prices for new and used versions

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news...-album-50th-anniversary-super-deluxe-edition/
I'm glad I got this when there was a deal. I only paid 70€ for it (and a bit over 50 for Let It Be a few days ago - Sgt. Pepper is the one I've missed).
This is ridiculous, hard pass for me, like all these ridiculously big and expensive boxsets of albums that I love:
  • Rush - A Farewell To Kings
  • Rush - Moving Pictures
  • Rush - Signals
  • Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
A comment I read on Facebook sums it up well (pun intended): The Who Sell Out
I don't find this comparison fitting. Those boxes had very little bonus material. This one has a ton, and quite a few of it is either entirely unreleased or hard to get. Still too expensive for me at the moment, and where would I put it? (But no, I wouldn't only be interested in the Blu-Ray; the whole Lifehouse concept fascinates me and a standalone BD would lose all that.)
This is a great point Clint that's been made time and time again. The longer these guys wait, the less of a market they will have. The kids today don't want to listen to 50 year old stuff (did we?), and not only that, they don't buy anything, not even the stuff they love. They only stream it.

Only old farts like us will even pay attention to a box like this, and at our age, we're pretty much retired and on limited incomes.

This stuff should have all come out in the '90s and early '00s
:whistle:

Last edited:
The way to not pay for it yourself is to ask for it for Christmas and that’s what i’ll do.
I wouldn't count on Santa coming through. I was thoroughly disillusioned with him when he didn't deliver what I asked for when I was four years old, although maybe I should have just settled for one thing instead of the two I asked for (the dissolution of the state and free access to the means of production).

Can I please ask that we refrain from the "I'm not buying this; it's too expensive; I just want the Blu-Ray" comments in this thread?
I am well aware that not everyone can afford a box set as costly as this one.
However this is one of the most important albums of the last 50+ years that so many of us have wanted in surround sound for a very long time, and now it's finally happening.
Not only that but with Steven Wilson remixing this one, it pretty much means this will be the definitive way to hear the album from here on out.
Plus there's 14 additional tracks also remixed in surround sound as well. Even if @PaulatSDE had managed to get an SDE single-disc Blu-Ray released, it would likely only contain the proper album and none of these additional tracks, so it's really like we're getting 2+ albums worth of material in surround sound on this disc.
Also there's no vinyl at all in this set and with the huge amount of CDs included and the amount of content on each disc, it certainly looks like this set was put together by people who really wanted to provide us with the maximum amount of content available. No skimping on content for this set. Compare the price of this set to the more skimpy sets from RUSH and Pink Floyd and you can at least say that this one is more deserving of this high price tag than any of those others.
Finally, a Blu-Ray in a costly box set is better than no Blu-Ray at all (still pissed at the Beatles for the Revolver set...)
So buy it or don't buy it, and if you don't buy it, you can probably stream the Atmos mix on Atmos streaming providers.
Just cool it on all the negative comments, thanks!

:)
Not sure if the issue is that people are speaking their minds, or that it's that people are speaking their minds in this particular thread...?

...if the issue is that this thread is not the place for such comments then I guess fair enough...?...but if we're being told that we shouldn't voice our opinions on this topic on the forum, then that's something very different?

Not sure if this thread has been home to similar types of conversation in the past and at this length, or whether it's been stipulated as a thread purely for detailing upcoming releases...

...all of it seems a little ambiguous.

I'm assuming the best of intentions on the part of rtbluray but with the ambiguity of it all it did come off a bit like we're being told not to speak our minds on the topic.

That having been said, I'll limit my comments on the subject to an acknowledgment of what seems like a (potentially growing) groundswell of negative opinion on the increasing cost of these sets and the sentiment that I'm just glad that it's not an album I actually want.

...and, I'll post this link to the thread for this release, where people (I'm assuming?) are free to post their lamentations on the growing cost of these box sets: WHO"S NEXT/LIFEHOUSE Box set coming in September 2023 (STEVEN WILSON DOLBY ATMOS & 5.1 MIXES CONFIRMED!!)

Edit: Not sure if the thread was merged, or if I clicked through? I thought this post was going to be posted to the "Digital Surround Music Release Lists (2009 - )"

...either way: it ended up here, but I thought I was writing about posts to the 2009 Surround Music Release List thread; hope that clarifies things.

Last edited:
Can I please ask that we refrain from the "I'm not buying this; it's too expensive; I just want the Blu-Ray" comments in this thread?
I am well aware that not everyone can afford a box set as costly as this one.
However this is one of the most important albums of the last 50+ years that so many of us have wanted in surround sound for a very long time, and now it's finally happening.
It is what it is. My concern: I went to the Bull Moose site early this morning and it says that the set is no longer available.

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/36430016/the-who-whos-next-50th-anniversary-deluxe-box-set-10cd-blu

• Haha
Reactions: GOS
I wouldn't count on Santa coming through. I was thoroughly disillusioned with him when he didn't deliver what I asked for when I was four years old, although maybe I should have just settled for one thing instead of the two I asked for (the dissolution of the state and free access to the means of production).
I asked for a bike and Santa pulled through!

Not sure if the issue is that people are speaking their minds, or that it's that people are speaking their minds in this particular thread...?

...if the issue is that this thread is not the place for such comments then I guess fair enough...?...but if we're being told that we shouldn't voice our opinions on this topic on the forum, then that's something very different?

Not sure if this thread has been home to similar types of conversation in the past and at this length, or whether it's been stipulated as a thread purely for detailing upcoming releases...

...all of it seems a little ambiguous.

I'm assuming the best of intentions on the part of rtbluray but with the ambiguity of it all it did come off a bit like we're being told not to speak our minds on the topic.

That having been said, I'll limit my comments on the subject to an acknowledgment of what seems like a (potentially growing) groundswell of negative opinion on the increasing cost of these sets and the sentiment that I'm just glad that it's not an album I actually want.

...and, I'll post this link to the thread for this release, where people (I'm assuming?) are free to post their lamentations on the growing cost of these box sets: WHO"S NEXT/LIFEHOUSE Box set coming in September 2023 (STEVEN WILSON DOLBY ATMOS & 5.1 MIXES CONFIRMED!!)
The line just before the part you took the time to put in bold clearly says "in this thread". How much clearer could he have been?

amazon ASIN: B0CB91MQBY

Doesn't work. Any ideas? I've never had so much trouble trying to spend money. :ROFLMAO:

Screenshot 2023-07-19 at 8.35.42 AM.png

The Who is one of the few bands whose bonus tracks are nearly as good as the material that actually made the album. I have a lot of this stuff on various compilations released over the years, but now to have some of it in surround is a big plus. I'm sure this will be available somewhere for less than $300, but it'll still be pricey. But since this is one of my all time favorite records, I'll be getting it.

The dollars and cents(sense?) aspect of this release has already gotten extensive discussion in just a few short days. What I find compelling about this box set are the 22 songs in total(i.e., not just the core album tracks)that receive new mixes in stereo, 5.1 and Dolby Atmos; the previously hard to get Lifehouse demos; and the two live concert recordings. As fans of “Live At Leeds” know, The Who are a powerhouse live act. If these two concerts recordings that include the Ox and Moonie are anywhere close to being in the same league as LAL then they will also garner their share of listening time. Like many others on the forum, I will be on the lookout for better pricing from other outlets.

As fans of “Live At Leeds” know, The Who are a powerhouse live act. If these two concerts recordings that include the Ox and Moonie are anywhere close to being in the same league as LAL then they will also garner their share of listening time.

Indeed. In their prime, The Who was a live band without equal. A force of nature. I am as excited for the San Francisco performance as I am for the surround mixes. It's a holy grail that Who fans have been wanting for a long time. (Most of the London performance has been previously released....and it's awesome. The version of "Young Man Blues" is better than the one on Live at Leeds).

I can certainly understand why some people are put off by the $300 price tag. I love Pink Floyd as much as I love The Who and I did not shell out the cash for the 50th anniversary Dark Side of the Moon box set. But I am more than happy to shell out the money for this one as Townshend is giving us a treasure trove of vault material that I am very eager to hear. Had the Floyd done that, they would have gotten my money too.

Looks like Amazon is $299 but it is NOT a preorder so that's the price plus applicable tax. This is more of an Alice Cooper welcome to my nightmare moment for me.

On the bright side, just ordered a Pink Floyd SACD 5.1 DSOTM, used, for $24.50.

Back