Steven Wilson XTC - The Big Express (Steven Wilson Surround mixes coming in September!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep definitely Colin's Scrawl defacing the postcard.

What would really love is the 1st Two albums with a Barry Andrews signature.

What do people do with these signed postcards? I have a couple of photo album with all the postcards I have acquired over the years one with signed ones one with unsigned.
I'm keeping them safe and then intend to save up to frame it. I collect this kind of stuff from my favorite artists. But it's a little bit too pricey for me right now to do a proper framing. Just an idea since you asked what do others do.

Good news / bad news on my Amazon order.
Has not shipped, now only available from Oxfordshire UK, delivery several weeks out.
But saved some money off list price if they honor the low price guarantee- 44% off list.

Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 11.50.17 AM.png

Good news / bad news on my Amazon order.
Has not shipped, now only available from Oxfordshire UK, delivery several weeks out.
But saved some money off list price if they honor the low price guarantee- 44% off list.

View attachment 96754
Actually, there are a dozen or so other options if you go to the "New & Used (12) from $22.57" link directly under the part of the page you posted -- it'll be the rectangular box on the right hand side. A vendor called Green Orbit claims they'll deliver to me by the middle of next week for $37.88 shipped -- so, not much savings, but it'll be worth it if they actually do deliver that quickly. In any case, I'll take the shot.

But, yeah, I cancelled my Amazon pre-order -- to get to the release date and have absolutely nothing happen (whether an actual shipment or even an updated shipping or delivery date) is highly annoying. I don't have any faith in them fulfilling the pre-order in any timely fashion, especially since there's no longer even an option to order from Amazon US directly. I wouldn't have bothered with Amazon to begin with, except I have $150 or so in Amazon credit to use up.

I was most happily surprised to see The Big Express show up in my mailbox in Massachusetts today. Yesterday it was sitting in a sorting station in Flushing, New York and New York City was literally underwater.
Absolutely insane. I’m currently in Connecticut visiting my relatives for the weekend and we saw what New York has been enduring on the news. We got here Friday and it rained literally all day and night into Saturday afternoon. Apparently it’s been a record high for rain this year.

I had this on order from Amazon Canada since it’s announcement, priced $53 cdn then I looked at Amazon.ca on release day and the price was something like $35. I canceled the original order and was going to order it at this new price but only then noticed the seller was not Amazon but a reseller in the uk. So now I was unable to reorder from Amazon.ca at the original price (with the hope that it would come down in price) as the resellers were all that was offered now. I’m reluctant to order from them as it’s coming from the uk. So now I don’t have it on order anywhere.
Anyone else in Canada know what the best deal is for buying here? Help and advice would be appreciated!

Received this today. Crazy. I had never heard this album before having jumped on board the XTC train with Skylarking back when it was originally released.
Hearing this for the first time ever and in surround and mixed by Steven Wilson, I'm just blown away.
I'm feeling really lucky discovering this album now, so late in my listening life. I'm truly excited listening to this disc. I love it. (But I wouldn't want to marry it) Sorry for the Pee Wee reference. I'm just really having fun with this album, and that's the whole point of this website. 🥃 🥃 :SB

I had this on order from Amazon Canada since it’s announcement, priced $53 cdn then I looked at Amazon.ca on release day and the price was something like $35. I canceled the original order and was going to order it at this new price but only then noticed the seller was not Amazon but a reseller in the uk. So now I was unable to reorder from Amazon.ca at the original price (with the hope that it would come down in price) as the resellers were all that was offered now. I’m reluctant to order from them as it’s coming from the uk. So now I don’t have it on order anywhere.
Anyone else in Canada know what the best deal is for buying here? Help and advice would be appreciated!
I ordered when the Zon.ca price went down to $36 including shipping. It has not shipped yet and the tracking says “arriving Oct 25 - Nov 15”.
Fortunately I’m in no rush for it. Just want to keep my XTC surround collection complete - but not with higher prices. They’ve been very reasonable before now.

I'm still waiting for my copy from jpc.
(The last time I posted this for another title, it arrived the same day so I'm hoping this works again!)

Received mine today from Burning Shed, signed postcard and all. I only had a chance to skip briefly through the 5.1 mix but...

WOW!!!! Now THIS is a surround mix!! After the semi-disappointment of Who's Next, Steven Wilson redeems himself completely in my eyes and ears with this. I can't give a rating yet, but my first impressions were extremely favorable. It was open, revealing, punchy and intimate all at the same time, and with plenty (and I mean *plenty*) rear channel action. Some people will say gimmicky, I say "made for surround". This is how I like it!

This album always had a problematic mix, and the awful 2001 CD remaster did it no favors. The new 5.1. mix completely transforms the album, and I would guess the 2.0 and Atmos mixes are as good.

Received mine today from Burning Shed, signed postcard and all. I only had a chance to skip briefly through the 5.1 mix but...

WOW!!!! Now THIS is a surround mix!! After the semi-disappointment of Who's Next, Steven Wilson redeems himself completely in my eyes and ears with this. I can't give a rating yet, but my first impressions were extremely favorable. It was open, revealing, punchy and intimate all at the same time, and with plenty (and I mean *plenty*) rear channel action. Some people will say gimmicky, I say "made for surround". This is how I like it!

This album always had a problematic mix, and the awful 2001 CD remaster did it no favors. The new 5.1. mix completely transforms the album, and I would guess the 2.0 and Atmos mixes are as good.
I hope to get my copy from Burning Shed tomorrow so I can listen by the weekend. If not, Tuesday is the next chance. Norwegian Post only delivers to mailboxes every other day.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Your experience sounds like mine. Stereo is simply not enough for some music. It's as if it had been trapped in stereo for all these years and suddenly burst out in Atmos!

Back