4 more Quadio titles coming in January 2024! (Titles Announced)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tim's Dozen = released WEA titles + unreleased WEA titles + RCA / UA titles:

Gordon Lightfoot - Cold on the Shoulder​
Modern Jazz Quartet - The Last Concert​
Nilsson/Nilsson Schmilsson​
Seals & Crofts - Summer Breeze​
Carly Simon - Greatest Hits​
James Taylor - Gorilla​
Black Sabbath - Sabotage
Captain Beyond - s/t
Todd Rundgren - Initiation
James Taylor - Sweet Baby James
Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die
Uriah Heep - Return To Fantasy
I'm aware of the discussions that some of these may not exist; keeping the torch lit until it's put out :smokin

Sorry to rain on your parade , Tim , but.....
Just thought you might want to know that Traffic and Captain Beyond's labels are with Universal.
I would love to see any Traffic quad album released , but that decision is not Rhino's to make.
Capricorn is now with Universal , as are Traffic's albums , but I know one of their last album's was not, namely "When The Eagle Flies" which was on Asylum Records. I have a stereo copy which Audio Magazine recommended to play in QS or SQ synthesis.

Also Foraging Rhino has confirmed that James Taylor In The Pocket quad album exists.So there are 3 for James Taylor.

Although the others you listed have been confirmed as not existing in quad by Rhino, I keep hoping that somehow Todd Rundgren Initiation will mysteriously pop up. Wishful thinking on my part .

I remember that Schwann Record and Tape Guide listing of quads in 1975 , all on WEA , approximately 20 titles , and find it incredible that so very few actually exist.
After all it was WEA that provided that information to Schwann , back then ?

I used to love Bette and I have mostly always been able to separate my love for any given music from the artist's personal life/politics/religion/whatever. However, she has become such a creep, lately, I couldn't care less if they ever produce her album in BD.

Doug

Sorry to rain on your parade , Tim , but.....
Just thought you might want to know that Traffic and Captain Beyond's labels are with Universal.
I would love to see any Traffic quad album released , but that decision is not Rhino's to make.
Capricorn is now with Universal , as are Traffic's albums , but I know one of their last album's was not, namely "When The Eagle Flies" which was on Asylum Records. I have a stereo copy which Audio Magazine recommended to play in QS or SQ synthesis.

Also Foraging Rhino has confirmed that James Taylor In The Pocket quad album exists.So there are 3 for James Taylor.

Although the others you listed have been confirmed as not existing in quad by Rhino, I keep hoping that somehow Todd Rundgren Initiation will mysteriously pop up. Wishful thinking on my part .

I remember that Schwann Record and Tape Guide listing of quads in 1975 , all on WEA , approximately 20 titles , and find it incredible that so very few actually exist.
After all it was WEA that provided that information to Schwann , back then ?
All true perhaps; still hoping for licensing magic outside the standard WEA scope as mentioned elsewhere. Just got Todd tickets for May; it’s been since ‘77 Utopia - RA tour.

My discs sound fine to me. I think Rhino did a great job this bundle. I hope they continue to release them.
I really don't have a problem with the shipping other than I was kept out of the loop. Got the discs yesterday. Today I received three emails saying they were shipped with the tracking numbers. So alls well that ends well.

Does anyone else have a Gil Evans - Svengali disc that won't rip? Mine gets read errors from MakeMKV. Haven't had that issue with any of the other Quadios. I'm playing Svengali right now on my Oppo BDP-95 and so far it seems to be playing fine in both Quad and stereo, but I haven't gotten all the way through it yet.

My jewel case for Svengali arrived with a small crack in the front, but nothing major, and the disc appears to be scratch-free. I cleaned it off thoroughly and tried ripping it again, same result. Just curious if anyone else has run into this, with this specific disc or any other Quadio disc.

And by the way, Svengali sounds really good so far in Quad, and the music is much more adventurous than I was expecting... yay.

Last edited:
Does anyone else have a Gil Evans - Svengali disc that won't rip? Mine gets read errors from MKV. Haven't had that issue with any of the other Quadios. I'm playing Svengali right now on my Oppo BDP-95 and so far it seems to be playing fine in both Quad and stereo, but I haven't gotten all the way through it yet.

My jewel case for Svengali arrived with a small crack in the front, but nothing major, and the disc appears to be scratch-free. I cleaned it off thoroughly and tried ripping it again, same result. Just curious if anyone else has run into this, with this specific disc or any other Quadio disc.

And by the way, Svengali sounds really good so far in Quad, and the music is much more adventurous than I was expecting... yay.
I have ripped it through AnyDVD and DVD Audio Extractor and didn't have any issues.

Well alrighty! Received my 4 Quadio's (y) in 3 separate packages. can't wait to listen to them, but first I gotta listen to the Frank Zappa - Halloween DVD-Audio I finally procured and received yesterday after all these years :bowing:, next up WAR>AWB>Randy Newman>Gil Evans...it's a good day to be off :dance<---I'm a dancing fool.

Does anyone else have a Gil Evans - Svengali disc that won't rip? Mine gets read errors from MakeMKV. Haven't had that issue with any of the other Quadios. I'm playing Svengali right now on my Oppo BDP-95 and so far it seems to be playing fine in both Quad and stereo, but I haven't gotten all the way through it yet.

Well my disc is definitely defective... a bit before the 5-minute mark into the fourth track, Cry Of Hunger, it started skipping. The Oppo was able to move past that and play the remainder of the track, but about 30 seconds of it are lost or glitched. A similar issue also occurred in the next song, Summertime. Happens in the same spots in both stereo and quad, which seems strange, but I don't know anything about authoring or how files are laid out physically on Blu-ray. I'm off to email Rhino to see if they'll send a replacement...

Well my disc is definitely defective... a bit before the 5-minute mark into the fourth track, Cry Of Hunger, it started skipping. The Oppo was able to move past that and play the remainder of the track, but about 30 seconds of it are lost or glitched. A similar issue also occurred in the next song, Summertime. Happens in the same spots in both stereo and quad, which seems strange, but I don't know anything about authoring or how files are laid out physically on Blu-ray. I'm off to email Rhino to see if they'll send a replacement...
I submitted my replacement request through a web form from the "Contact Us" link on the Rhino website. Now I'm wondering if that was the best path to get this resolved promptly, or if there's a specific email address that's better to use -- anyone have direct experience with getting defective items replaced by Rhino, and can offer suggestions?

Got 3/4 of the last batch today, in 2 packages, which means that there will be 3 packages in total (War is missing at the moment). I am quite happy, BUT have a slight criticism: as I'm in Germany, I have to pay customs. I have no problems with that, BUT I also have to pay a fee to the carrier for each package that they handle. This is "only" 6 Euros, BUT -in this case- it's of course 18 Euros, as the fee is for three packages. I really thought that *one* order would be *one* package and though: *one* service fee. I won't complain too much, as I really appreciate the work that Rhino does for music lovers, but this could be handled better (for oversea customers), I think.

Well...I really, really like the AWB Quadio...so much so that I just bought a 2nd copy (I don't copy my discs to other storage systems).

Anyone else bought 2nd copies of favorite Quadios just to have a backup copy?

Kirk Bayne
yes, I did. I bought 2 copies of Black Sabbath and also 10 Years AFter. I'd say, in general, I will consider 2 copies of any Quadio rock type titles.

I submitted my replacement request through a web form from the "Contact Us" link on the Rhino website. Now I'm wondering if that was the best path to get this resolved promptly, or if there's a specific email address that's better to use -- anyone have direct experience with getting defective items replaced by Rhino, and can offer suggestions?
Yeah the “Contact Us” link on the Rhino website worked good for me.
They will ask for a photo or video/audio of the problem. So you might want to have those handy befor you submit your request.
I have ordered all three Quadio bundles. Each bundle l have received has had a defective disc in the batch.
First bundle the J. Geils had a skip on the song “I’ll Be Coming Home”.
Second bundle the Gordon Lightfoot skip on “Care Free Highway”.
Third bundle Randy Newman skip on “Rednecks”.
Each disc has had a visible physical defect on it.
I don’t know who manufactures the discs for Rhino but IMO the quality is just not there.
Rhino has been really good at getting replacement discs out to me in a timely manner though. So thank you Rhino for that.

Yeah the “Contact Us” link on the Rhino website worked good for me.
They will ask for a photo or video/audio of the problem. So you might want to have those handy befor you submit your request.
I have ordered all three Quadio bundles. Each bundle l have received has had a defective disc in the batch.
First bundle the J. Geils had a skip on the song “I’ll Be Coming Home”.
Second bundle the Gordon Lightfoot skip on “Care Free Highway”.
Third bundle Randy Newman skip on “Rednecks”.
Each disc has had a visible physical defect on it.
I don’t know who manufactures the discs for Rhino but IMO the quality is just not there.
Rhino has been really good at getting replacement discs out to me in a timely manner though. So thank you Rhino for that.
Thanks for sharing your experience(s). I heard back from Rhino just a few hours ago, and they did ask for photo or video evidence. There are no visible flaws on the disc, so I suppose I'll send them a video of my TV screen during the skips, and a screenshot of the read error messages when I try to rip it, and a photo of the cracked case for good measure. Hopefully that will suffice, and glad to hear they've been timely with the replacements for you.

They don't ask for return of the defective disc, do they?

Thanks for sharing your experience(s). I heard back from Rhino just a few hours ago, and they did ask for photo or video evidence. There are no visible flaws on the disc, so I suppose I'll send them a video of my TV screen during the skips, and a screenshot of the read error messages when I try to rip it, and a photo of the cracked case for good measure. Hopefully that will suffice, and glad to hear they've been timely with the replacements for you.

They don't ask for return of the defective disc, do they?
That should be plenty of evidence for them.
And no they did not require a return for me.

Got 3/4 of the last batch today, in 2 packages, which means that there will be 3 packages in total (War is missing at the moment). I am quite happy, BUT have a slight criticism: as I'm in Germany, I have to pay customs. I have no problems with that, BUT I also have to pay a fee to the carrier for each package that they handle. This is "only" 6 Euros, BUT -in this case- it's of course 18 Euros, as the fee is for three packages. I really thought that *one* order would be *one* package and though: *one* service fee. I won't complain too much, as I really appreciate the work that Rhino does for music lovers, but this could be handled better (for oversea customers), I think.
The same here in Spain. Tomorrow I should get 3 in 2 differents packages. I had to pay BAT and fee: 10,29€ for the one with 2 blurays and 6,2€ for the package with one. No shipping notice for the remaining one. Shipped with DHL and handled by Correos, Spanish post office.

Back