Allman Brothers "Idlewild South" Deluxe Edition with 5.1 surround coming soon!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still waiting for mine....I've had it ordered for a while via Royal Mail. :)

Just checked my order a little closer. I actually ordered via Amazon US, but chose a 3rd party vendor...Zoverstocks...which is UK. Soooo.....it's been dispatched by Royal Mail and there is no tracking. I chose this route due to the excellent price.

I know...I know...just saying:)...sometimes those...very...very.. "minor" things start a landslide of nitpicks...maybe I should hustle over to that poll and at least start it off on a positive note...without reservations:)

haha - I know. No worries. I only listened to it once....I won't vote yet. It will get a high vote from me, with a "minor" comment. Hee....

I know...I know...just saying:)...sometimes those...very...very.. "minor" things start a landslide of nitpicks...maybe I should hustle over to that poll and at least start it off on a positive note...without reservations:)

Cracking me up dude.....

I suspect the general consensus will be very positive.

Cracking me up dude.....

I suspect the general consensus will be very positive.

I'm sure it will be positive..but for once I would just like some spontaneous joy WITHOUT the "buts"...you know what I mean... without hearing it's too much money...not enough extras..why isn't it a DVD-A..it's not discreet enough...the instruments are in the wrong place...yada yada yada...you know the drill...I know it's unrealistic to expect this type of happiness all the time...but when you consider how lucky we are to be getting these releases from the past...it's a downer for me when I hear the negative stuff...every miniscule glitch turns out to be the grand canyon of mistakes and unless they are corrected the world as we know it will end...again...you know what I'm talking about....OK...my mini rant is over:)...thanks for being there me for bud(y)

Finally got my copy today, just arrived(just minutes ago) and I need to go for a jog with my daughter so listening for later tonight or hopefully tomorrow.
That one took 26 days(who's counting) to arrive but its finally here.

For those trying to rip this disc to FLAC, audiomuxer will do it properly. When you go in to the folder where all the playlist (.mpls) files are, I think there are 6 mpls files in total. Use the first one (12 tracks) to rip the stereo tracks and delete track 12, it's just 30 seconds of silence. Use the last one (11 tracks) to rip the 5.1 from either the DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD streams.

It is slightly wonky authoring, I guess they did this because the track times of the stereo and 5.1 mixes aren't the same. For the most part the 5.1 mixes are anywhere from a few seconds up to half a minute longer than their stereo counterparts. I'm glad they left them like this rather than fading them to match the lengths of the stereo mixes - the 5.1 mix of the alternate version of Midnight Rider runs an extra 30 seconds and comes to a cold finish which is pretty cool. The mix itself is pretty crazy too - almost like a 5.1 version of a '4 corners' quad mix, with lots of isolated instruments coming out of various places. I'm not sure the mix is handled with quite as much finesse as Elliot Scheiner or Steven Wilson might do, but it's great to be getting stuff like this out of left field.

This also may be heresy to say but I much prefer the reined-in studio Allmans over the interminable 30 minute live jam Allmans. I'll be listening to this album a lot more than any of the Fillmore stuff from the two albums that follow this one. I only hope that Universal sees fit to do a similar package with a 5.1 mix etc. for Brothers And Sisters this year...maybe they could take a page out of the Pangeyric playbook and do a BluRay that has new 5.1 and stereo mixes, the original 1973 stereo mix and also the unreleased quadraphonic mix, confirmed to exist in Universal's vaults by Rhino Quadio mastering engineer Bob Vosgien when he visited QQ 5 years ago or so.

Definitely wonky authoring. I guess the idea was to present a clean user interface with the color buttons to switch between mixes on the fly, but since it really only lets you switch between the different 5.1 formats on the fly and you have to start over if you switch between 5.1 and 2.0, it didn't really work that way anyway. Better to just let you choose stereo or 5.1 and have a title for each like most discs do.

For those trying to rip this disc to FLAC, audiomuxer will do it properly. When you go in to the folder where all the playlist (.mpls) files are, I think there are 6 mpls files in total. Use the first one (12 tracks) to rip the stereo tracks and delete track 12, it's just 30 seconds of silence. Use the last one (11 tracks) to rip the 5.1 from either the DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD streams.

It is slightly wonky authoring, I guess they did this because the track times of the stereo and 5.1 mixes aren't the same. For the most part the 5.1 mixes are anywhere from a few seconds up to half a minute longer than their stereo counterparts. I'm glad they left them like this rather than fading them to match the lengths of the stereo mixes - the 5.1 mix of the alternate version of Midnight Rider runs an extra 30 seconds and comes to a cold finish which is pretty cool. The mix itself is pretty crazy too - almost like a 5.1 version of a '4 corners' quad mix, with lots of isolated instruments coming out of various places. I'm not sure the mix is handled with quite as much finesse as Elliot Scheiner or Steven Wilson might do, but it's great to be getting stuff like this out of left field.

This also may be heresy to say but I much prefer the reined-in studio Allmans over the interminable 30 minute live jam Allmans. I'll be listening to this album a lot more than any of the Fillmore stuff from the two albums that follow this one. I only hope that Universal sees fit to do a similar package with a 5.1 mix etc. for Brothers And Sisters this year...maybe they could take a page out of the Pangeyric playbook and do a BluRay that has new 5.1 and stereo mixes, the original 1973 stereo mix and also the unreleased quadraphonic mix, confirmed to exist in Universal's vaults by Rhino Quadio mastering engineer Bob Vosgien when he visited QQ 5 years ago or so.

"Brothers & Sisters" would most likely not be reissued this year because it was the subject of a big reissue back in 2013, including a 4-disc box set. The same cannot be said however for other ABB albums like their first self-titled album, "Eat a Peach", or any of their albums following "Brothers & Sisters", so it will be interesting to see which album they select next for this super-deluxe reissue series. (My money would most likely be on the first album or "Eat a Peach").
But I completely agree with you in that I find this album to be so much better than both the Fillmore East live album and "Eat a Peach", both in terms of content and surround mix. I can only hope that they continue to use Kevin Reeves for any other ABB surround mixes they embark on in the future. :)

"Brothers & Sisters" would most likely not be reissued this year because it was the subject of a big reissue back in 2013, including a 4-disc box set. The same cannot be said however for other ABB albums like their first self-titled album, "Eat a Peach", or any of their albums following "Brothers & Sisters", so it will be interesting to see which album they select next for this super-deluxe reissue series. (My money would most likely be on the first album or "Eat a Peach").
But I completely agree with you in that I find this album to be so much better than both the Fillmore East live album and "Eat a Peach", both in terms of content and surround mix. I can only hope that they continue to use Kevin Reeves for any other ABB surround mixes they embark on in the future. :)

"Eat a Peach" was released on a multifun sacd.

"Eat a Peach" was released on a multifun sacd.

True, but so was the Fillmore East live album, and that didn't stop anyone from cultivating and releasing the Fillmore East Blu-Ray set with new surround mixes of all of the concerts. "461 Ocean Boulevard" by Eric Clapton was released as a Multichannel SACD as well, and that didn't stop anyone from cultivating and releasing the Give Me Strength box set, complete with the unreleased Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mix of the album. "Tommy" by the Who was also released as a Multichannel SACD last decade, and that didn't stop anyone from cultivating and releasing the recent Tommy box set, complete with a new 5.1 surround mix on Blu-Ray.
The fact remains that "Eat a Peach" has not had a super deluxe reissue similar to the ones released over the last three years for "Brothers & Sisters", "Fillmore East", and "Idlewild South", so a similar super deluxe reissue for that album probably will happen within the next year or so, and when it does, I will hope they have enough sense to let Kevin Reeves create a new surround mix for it, one that could easily replace the current SACD which has a surround mix that I find to be very lacking at times.

Back