Blu-Ray Audio tech question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ogrequad

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with some questions about playing Blu-Ray Audio Discs. Even though I am still so angry that I bought the full Quadrophenia box set, under the false pretense that those 8 songs were all that we were getting in surround, I really want to buy the new 5.1 Blu-Ray, as it is a favorite album of mine. I do have a Blu-Ray player that decodes DTS-MA HD and all the other hi-res codecs, but currently I pretty much have it hooked up directly to my TV as a glorified DVD player with no surround system. I do all my dedicated music listening in a separate room, which is where I have my surround system set up. Unfortunately, my system is really old (Yamaha DVD player and receiver) and has no HDMI capability.

So, my main question is: Will I be able to access any form of the surround music on these BDs (particularly Quadrophenia) without HDMI? If so, what are my options and what sort of stream will I be getting? Right now, I don't really have the $$$ to buy a new receiver, so I'm trying to figure out if there is anyway that I can make this work.

My second question is: If I do end up buying a new receiver, does it need to be able to decode DTS-MA HD et. al? Is there anything that I need to know before buying a new receiver that can handle Blu-Ray Audio?

As you may be able to tell from my convoluted post, I am not a "techie" by any stretch, and a lot of the on-line info is pretty vague, focusing more on BD video than audio. To be honest, I'm OK if I'm not able to hear the music in the highest resolution possible (for example, I'm usually fine with the DTS stream on various DVD-A and DVD-V discs, though I'll admit that Dolby Digital is pretty crappy). I just want to be able to hear all these great albums mixed in surround!

Thanks in advance for any info, and sorry for the long-ass post!

You could hook your blu-ray player up to your (old) receiver (for audio) via coax or fibre, assuming your player has the connectors, & keep the connection to your TV via HDMI. Note that it will only play the core (lossy) DTS rather than the full hi-rez DTS-HD MA.

If you get a modern receiver they should all be able to decode the DTS-HD MA being sent from the Blu-ray player via HDMI.

P.S. Love the Plague of the Planet DVD-A & you'll love the Quadrophenia disc.

You could hook your blu-ray player up to your (old) receiver (for audio) via coax or fibre, assuming your player has the connectors, & keep the connection to your TV via HDMI. Note that it will only play the core (lossy) DTS rather than the full hi-rez DTS-HD MA.

If you get a modern receiver they should all be able to decode the DTS-HD MA being sent from the Blu-ray player via HDMI.

P.S. Love the Plague of the Planet DVD-A & you'll love the Quadrophenia disc.

I already tried hooking up my Blu-Ray to my receiver with a fiber optic cable. I tried to play the DSOTM Blu-Ray disc that came with the Immersion set, but my receiver wouldn't register the multi-channel stream. I could click on the 5.1 or Quad options in the BD menu, but I couldn't get the receiver to recognize the MC. Could that have something to do with the fact that the Floyd disc doesn't have a DTS option? Would the lossy DTS stream on the Quadrophenia BD work with a fiber optic connection?

I'm glad you like the Plague DVD-A!! I can't wait to hear our new album in quad...

The Blu-Ray player is a Sharp BD-HP210. Based on what I've read, it's a pretty crappy player, but I got it ridiculously cheap and so far have mainly used it to watch a few BD movies that I own. Like I said, it does have all the hi-res capabilities, so I think it should be able to handle any of the Blu-Ray Audio discs.

Would the lossy DTS stream on the Quadrophenia BD work with a fiber optic connection?

FYI, Quadrophenia is also my favorite and my setup is all HDMI... I own the 5.1 Quadrophenia BluRay and I don't recall what lower rez option is on the bluray...

First: What model receiver do you have?

The fiber optic or coax(RCA single jack) are older digital connections and your receiver should decode the data automatically. You may have a very old receiver which can't decode DTS. Tell us what exact receiver you have and we can get you a band-aid solution until you can get a new receiver which is what you really need. When you get the recevier, get it from here:

techbargains.com

:)

DMJ

I already tried hooking up my Blu-Ray to my receiver with a fiber optic cable. I tried to play the DSOTM Blu-Ray disc that came with the Immersion set, but my receiver wouldn't register the multi-channel stream. I could click on the 5.1 or Quad options in the BD menu, but I couldn't get the receiver to recognize the MC. Could that have something to do with the fact that the Floyd disc doesn't have a DTS option? Would the lossy DTS stream on the Quadrophenia BD work with a fiber optic connection?

I'm glad you like the Plague DVD-A!! I can't wait to hear our new album in quad...

Lossless audio like DTS MA or The PF BD in high res, cannot be listened to via optical or digital coax line. Either HDMI with a compatible AVR or analog with a compatible AVR. The DD and DTS lossy audio can be heard with the digital lines.
The AVR need not decode if the BD player does it. Lossless is : DTS-MA / Dolby HD / DVD audio / and SACD thaqt are MC or hybrid. (single layer) / FLAC files and some others also.
If you need a AVR check here for good price's.
http://www.accessories4less.com/

What about a remanufactured Blu Ray Player with multi channel analog out? Not DVD-A or SACD though, but only $60.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PHILIPS-BDP...?pt=DVD_Players_Recorders&hash=item4aa33615ef

That's an interesting, and cost effective, option! What sort of connection would the MC analog out be? Right now, in my surround set-up, I have my DVD player hooked up to the receiver through six analog connectors (for DVD-A and SACD) and coaxial for DTS and DD streams.

Ah yeah - The 4.0 and 5.1 on the Pink Floyd Immersion blu-ray discs of Dark side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here are Linear PCM only for surround.

The 5.1 DTS should work over fibre.

P.S. Looking forward to the new album in "Quadro Surround Quad".

That's an interesting, and cost effective, option! What sort of connection would the MC analog out be? Right now, in my surround set-up, I have my DVD player hooked up to the receiver through six analog connectors (for DVD-A and SACD) and coaxial for DTS and DD streams.

Same as that.. Six (or 8 if its 7.1) analog outs. I have a Oppo blu-ray player hooked up that way.

P.S. If your player can decode DTS then you can output that via analog outs also...

First: What model receiver do you have?

The fiber optic or coax(RCA single jack) are older digital connections and your receiver should decode the data automatically. You may have a very old receiver which can't decode DTS. Tell us what exact receiver you have and we can get you a band-aid solution until you can get a new receiver which is what you really need. When you get the recevier, get it from here:

techbargains.com

:)

DMJ

I'm almost embarrassed to say it, but my receiver is a Yamaha HTR-5730. Again, I bought it on the cheap when I just started getting into multi-channel. It's served me well so far, but as we all know, technology has a way of making us all feel obsolete very quickly!

Though it is an older receiver, I know for a fact that it decodes DTS, as I have many DTS surround discs that I listen to quite regularly.

A "band-aid solution" is exactly what I need right now! Thanks for any help.

Ah yeah - The 4.0 and 5.1 on the Pink Floyd Immersion blu-ray discs of Dark side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here are Linear PCM only for surround.

That's great news. Like I said, until I get a better receiver with full HDMI capabilities, I'm OK with listening to Quadrophenia in lossy DTS.

A "band-aid solution" is exactly what I need right now! Thanks for any help.

Ok, I googled your receiver. You should be fine with DTS and Dolby Digital.

We need to verify that the BluRay disc will output DTS(if it has it) via the toslink digital port(fiber optic). Most newer BluRay players have committed to HDMI and some
only pass stereo through the legacy ports.

Lets take stock:

Your Receiver can handle DTS and should decode it automatically as long as you have selected the correct digital input. - Check
Your BluRay has toslink(fiber) out so your physical connection is solid. - Check

You need to verify if your BluRay player will output the DTS 5.1 through its older toslink connection.

Do you have a DVD player you can use if your BluRay player won't output properly?

Almost all DVD players of the last few years have toslink and can decode DTS & Dolby Digital. Test DTS through your receiver with an old DVD player first!

And: We still need to find out what low rez 5.1 options are on the Quadrophenia disc.

Do you have any other DVD-V music discs like Tull's Thick As A Brick? You can use that to test your setup.

P.S. Looking forward to the new album in "Quadro Surround Quad".

LK, what's that? P.S. Looking forward to the new album in
"Quadro Surround Quad".

If you added a switchbox you could run both the Phillips Blu Ray and your older DVD-A/SACD player through the analog inputs. Also, there is nothing wrong with that receiver. I prefer the analog inputs on mine to the HDMI input. The switchbox to get is a Zektor HDS 4.1 - this one is a screaming deal - you'd just have to pick up the AC Adapter - I could get the specs off mine if you thought about going that way. Folks on this forum sell those every once and awhile too. With all the parts they are generally $75-$100ish used. Nobody makes a 5.1 analog switch anymore as far as I know.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZEKTOR-HDS4...pt=US_Splitters_Combiners&hash=item20e85f4c2a

Ok, I googled your receiver. You should be fine with DTS and Dolby Digital.

And: We still need to find out what low rez 5.1 options are on the Quadrophenia disc.
It has DTS HD-MA, so it will have core DTS.

I note your comments about outputting stereo only.. That may also depend on set-up/settings in the player...

If I've read it correct - looking at the manual for the Sharp BD-HP210U it should output DTS core over Digitial out (Fibre):
Capture.JPG

P.S. Set it to Bitstream rather than PCM also....

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread! You guys have been a real help, honestly. It looks like I should be able to listen to the Quadrophenia lossy DTS stream through my current set-up, plus I have a few lower budget options if, for some reason, things don't work out that way. I know that I'll eventually want to upgrade my receiver if I keep buying Blu-Ray Audio discs, but I think I can now go ahead and buy the standalone Quadrophenia disc when it comes out on Tuesday!

One last longer term option... Instead of saving up for a new receiver, you could save up for an Oppo and play everything (Blu Ray, DVD-A, SACD) through the analog inputs to your current receiver. You'd just need to run an HDMI connection from the Oppo to the TV for video only.

Back