Blu-Ray Audio tech question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One last longer term option... Instead of saving up for a new receiver, you could save up for an Oppo and play everything (Blu Ray, DVD-A, SACD) through the analog inputs to your current receiver. You'd just need to run an HDMI connection from the Oppo to the TV for video only.

Yeah - That's what I do with my ancient (2003) receiver & my Oppo.

One last longer term option... Instead of saving up for a new receiver, you could save up for an Oppo and play everything (Blu Ray, DVD-A, SACD) through the analog inputs to your current receiver. You'd just need to run an HDMI connection from the Oppo to the TV for video only.

Yeah, that's definitely my long term plan...I have priced out several Oppos over the past couple of years, but it just hasn't fit into my budget. Plus, since my DVD player handles DVD-A and SACD, I've been OK until these Blu-Ray Audio discs started coming out. Now, I think I'll have to consider an Oppo more seriously. Unfortunately, I'm spending all my money on the new 5.1 discs (Tull, Yes, etc) that have been released recently!

Yeah, that's definitely my long term plan...I have priced out several Oppos over the past couple of years, but it just hasn't fit into my budget. Plus, since my DVD player handles DVD-A and SACD, I've been OK until these Blu-Ray Audio discs started coming out. Now, I think I'll have to consider an Oppo more seriously. Unfortunately, I'm spending all my money on the new 5.1 discs (Tull, Yes, etc) that have been released recently!

Keep checking in at Oppo site-they do re-furbs all the time at good discounts. Also, over at the avs forum you'll find some good deals on previously owned units. LIke a 93 that the owner just wants a 103 or higher. Sadly flea bay has no good deals. They are popular with many especially on flea bay.
I ran analog many years after HDMI was standard. Oppo has a very good dac in the 103 and especially the 95 and 105 (if your anal about it).I put a nuforce dac in my 95 way back when-big improvement, Oppo says the 103 is the same as the nuforce dac.
In fact-I still will use it with my Onkyo with both HDMI and 7.1 analog in ports.(With the 103 now)

here you go!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oppo-BDP-83...?pt=DVD_Players_Recorders&hash=item3391303170

The 83 was the 1st and still hold it's own. Some here still use the 83.

So, I got my copy of the Quadrophenia Blu-Ray and the good news is that it successfully played the DTS 5.1 mix (no HD-MA, of course) through the fiber optic connection. Woo hoo!!

The bad news, though, is that I must have got one of the defective discs that some people are talking about, as the disc pauses and starts up again several times throughout the first two tracks. After that, it played fine, but it's frustrating trying to listen to "The Real Me" and having it stop every minute or so! My dilemma now is whether to return the disc and hope for a better copy or to just live with the stutter...Typically, I would return the bugger right away, but knowing my luck I'd get a replacement with an even worse defect!

Anyway, thanks again for all the help. It's nice to know that I have a way to listen to these Blu-Ray audio 5.1 discs without having to drop a lot of cash into a system upgrade.

"My dilemma now is whether to return the disc and hope for a better copy or to just live with the stutter..."

Heh-heh! Not the kind of stutter that Roger Daltrey meant when he sang about it in The Punk and the Godfather. Did you end up doing anything about your copy of Quadrophenia?
I bought a copy in the Bullmoose Mill Creek store a few weeks back and it looks pretty good. My player won't recognize it and eventually ejects it, but the player at Bullmoose started
it up fine when I went back to have them check if it was the disc or my equipment. I've got no firmware upgrades I can make, so I think I'm looking at another Blu-ray player that is
more capable, and a modern universal player (likely Oppo).

The 83 SE has the nuforce dac installed. analog out is changed by it. We have several members who still use the 83 SE.

I am also one of the lucky campers who still run my Oppo BDP83 SE Nuforce Edition. I have absolutely no plans for upgrading since this is serving me excellent for all my needs...

Note that the Nuforce DAC is only valid for the dedicated analogue 2 channel out. The analogue 5.1 output is the same as the plain SE model (which in turn is better than the basic 83BDP version...)

Back