Roger Waters The Wall Live - Official Release

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the double bluray today and found out some interesting issues, as this is my first atmos experience and my equipment is not fully compatible. I started with my configuration by default, that's my oppo 93 using analog outputs. I was surprised to see that the only audio options are lpcm stereo and atmos 7.1 @48k. The oppo interprets this as Dolby true HD, but using the analogs I was having almost no sound on the rears.
I switched to the Hdmi output and let my receiver do the downmix to 5.1, audio on the rears is much better now, but I still wonder if I'm listening to the mix in the right way...
Why the hell didn't they include a regular 5.1 mix???

Jokes apart, I can hardly listen in the mix the sound effects (children playing mainly) during The Happiest Days of our Lives and I clearly remember having them all around in the concert, amazing surround experience then. Those with the proper Atmos setup, are the children sounds clearly there?

Other than a decent surround mix of The Wall album, I don't think I can bring myself to support this title any more.
The original, the movie, Live in Berlin, Anybody Out There CD...
Enough, Roger! Do. Something. Else.

Other than a decent surround mix of The Wall album, I don't think I can bring myself to support this title any more.

There comes a point in many artists' lives and careers where the genius of the past crushes the genius of the future, to the point where the present becomes nothing but a rehash of the past, and this is simply what has happened to Roger Waters.
I must say from a brief sample I heard of the CD soundtrack this morning on Spotify, I am not impressed. I'm sure the Blu-Ray will be better, but for right now, I'm jamming to R40 (from RUSH). :)

And during all these Pink Floyd related projects..he scolds the press about having the audacity to link him to Pink Floyd...as he lip syncs his way to the bank...I've been "over" this guy for a long time...

There comes a point in many artists' lives and careers where the genius of the past crushes the genius of the future, to the point where the present becomes nothing but a rehash of the past, and this is simply what has happened to Roger Waters.
I must say from a brief sample I heard of the CD soundtrack this morning on Spotify, I am not impressed. I'm sure the Blu-Ray will be better, but for right now, I'm jamming to R40 (from RUSH). :)

He was great "back in the day"....he was the right person at the right time with the right band..almost perfect symmetry...he's like some athlete that is way beyond his prime but yet see's himself as still being great...reminds me of this song

[video=youtube;6vQpW9XRiyM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vQpW9XRiyM[/video]

The mix could be braver, but what I can tell you is that it does sound pretty good on the Blu-ray (still wondering why it's not 96/24 though)

Listening closely now, apart from some sound effects, i think all the guitars and synths on the surrounds are also present on the fronts, so it's kind of a double stereo. Sounds good, but it is what it is

I thought the surround mix sounded superb. It's not really that adventurous but then I don't always expect that with live shows. The sound is spread nicely across all speakers and what I really enjoy is the width of the sound field and the sounds that spread between the front and rear speakers (sides).

I thought the surround mix sounded superb. It's not really that adventurous but then I don't always expect that with live shows. The sound is spread nicely across all speakers and what I really enjoy is the width of the sound field and the sounds that spread between the front and rear speakers (sides).

I never expect, but always hope:)

I never expect, but always hope:)

Yeah, but for me there is a big difference between a live mix which is front heavy and pretty much just has crowd noise and a bit of echo/reverb in the rears and one that may not be fully discrete but sounds open and carefully mixed for it's purpose.

For me, a live surround mix can be discrete until the point where it takes me out of the "live" experience, then as a listener and mixing engineer, I tend to want to push more elements back towards the front again. But FX are key. The right amounts of reverb, delay, and compression are important for any mix, but they are especially key for live mixes, as the reverbs and delays help to give you the sense of being in a large space while compression can help to add a lot of needed energy to the mix.

That's why I'm especially looking forward to not only this live disc (when it arrives now in the middle of December for me) but also R40 (which should arrive any minute now!) :)

I think good examples of live mixes that masterfully use discreteness, while still feeling like a live show, are the Porcupine Tree vids. Arriving Somewhere and Anesthetize are both great.
I remember being simply blown AWAY by one of them.

I think good examples of live mixes that masterfully use discreteness, while still feeling like a live show, are the Porcupine Tree vids. Arriving Somewhere and Anesthetize are both great.
I remember being simply blown AWAY by one of them.

Both of those are stellar, but to me, "Anesthetize" is the far-and-away winner, probably because it's Blu-Ray. That helps.
(Steven Wilson's solo concert film "Get All You Deserve" is also stellar.) :)

Back