Santana "Welcome" 7-inch Sony Japan MultiCh SACD coming November 29th, 2023

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered ... I'll be sneaking to open this one before Christmas.
I finally got my order through my granddaughter showed me that when I put my E/mail
address on the second time there was a little space that should not be in it
A BLODDY LITTLE SPACE
What's with these computers are they meant to be smarter than us?

I have never had problems with CDJapan and I like their range of shipping carrier options. For this round I'm using DHL delivery to Paris. I pre-paid the French TVA/VAT where the shipping component is assessed 20% as well. I added another item from my wish list to economize on the adjusted shipping cost.

CDJapan_Santana_livraison_à_Paris.png

Was Lotus ever issued as a quad release? I suppose it being a live recording might make it less likely, but I always thought it was one of Santana’s better mid-70s albums.

Yes, Lotus was a quad release, or at least it was SQ encoded (sorry if my terminology is off here). In fact, the 2CD reissue from the 90s is also SQ encoded, so if you run that through a decoder you get quadraphonic sound.

Better still is a 3xSACD from Sony Japan in the same 7" mini LP series as the upcoming Welcome reissue. It was actually the first Santana reissue from Sony Japan to feature a vintage multichannel mix and came out in 2016(?). I think it's sold out but offered from proxy sellers on the CDJapa site.
It has an entire concert in excellent quadraphonic sound, but it's mostly ambience in the rears. Still sounds fabulous. I am torn on whether I like it as much as the original triple album/2CD overall, as the bonus material, while all very interesting, changes the flow of the album. I can see why they cut the tracks that they did leave out originally, but it's good to have. Lots of Leon Thomas action on those tracks.

Ordered Welcome, LDS, Super Session, and I added Birds of Fire because why not. Not sure how much longer it will be in print for.

$184 CAD out the door with DHL. Not bad considering these are premium packages.

So, regarding BOF, the only thing I need to do is swap the fronts, right? Guess that will give me good incentive to set up SACD ripping on my new Oppo 103.

Nice price per item. The import tax and related fees always ruins the price in Europe...

I have to look into that BoF issue. Did not recognize anything when I listened to it the first time last week, but if the channels are only swapped and not out of phase I guess I can live with it.

Nice price per item. The import tax and related fees always ruins the price in Europe...

I have to look into that BoF issue. Did not recognize anything when I listened to it the first time last week, but if the channels are only swapped and not out of phase I guess I can live with it.
Panning effects criss cross rather than rotate around the room. Swapping the left and right of either the front or back fixes it. I'm not sure but I think is is the back channels that should be swapped to keep the general placement of the stereo release.

Panning effects criss cross rather than rotate around the room.
I just read through the whole discussion in the poll thread. Still interesting that left/right placement of the instruments seems to be consistent between front and rear on the SACD. Will give it another careful listen soon.

But I think I am going off-topic here. Back to Santana now 😊

Thanks for the heads up. I placed my order. Looking forward to this one. Great album!

Has anyone heard of a US online store will be carrying these recent SACDs?

I know just before the pandemic hit, they were available in the US. The Jeff Beck title and the first two Santana albums from Japan. So I would expect them be be in stock here at some point. I mean unless the world has changed now for good.

Has anyone heard of a US online store will be carrying these recent SACDs?

I know just before the pandemic hit, they were available in the US. The Jeff Beck title and the first two Santana albums from Japan. So I would expect them be be in stock here at some point. I mean unless the world has changed now for good.
I have a suspicion that some of these titles would be available in ImportCDs sometime because of the old shipping method opening back up. I don't have any proof of this, though.

Yeah hoping for Between Nothingness and Eternity will also be released soon. Next year hopefully Borboletta and Get Your Wings.

I have a suspicion that some of these titles would be available in ImportCDs sometime because of the old shipping method opening back up. I don't have any proof of this, though.
Doubt it is related to shipping, as they have Santana (debut) and Abraxas still in stock at ImportsCDs. These are from the height of the Pandemic in 2020. No other Santana 7" SACD's listed ... maybe it is that these didn't sell out, so they didn't want to hold inventory of future releases... just speculating. Search results for All Products : "santana sacd"

Back