Soft Cell "Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret" - Blu-Ray Audio with Dolby Atmos mix coming 12/1 (SDE #15)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talking of 12" singles, I have what I think is all of the Frankie Goes To Hollywood 12". They have all been played precisely once, many years ago on a friend's Rega Planar 3 and MC cartridge, Audiolab 8000PPA phono amp, 8000Q pre amp, four 8000M monoblocs and Monitor Audio Studio 20SE speakers. I have never heard vinyl sound so good before or since, we had a great time that day. Played my Queen 12" singles too, though that collection is incomplete.

I don't see any mention of the Tainted Love/Where Did Our Love Go 12" single mix. If that is not included, it would be a huge whiff.

Agreed! The ~9 min version blending the 2 made the combined song much more interesting. Without this version this release is a very missed opportunity. If it was included, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Now I really have to think hard about it, since the other songs really don't interest me. I bookmarked the deluxe album in my Qobuz library several years ago just for that combined song and not sure I need to have the rest of the album in Atmos. Not compelling.

I do think SDE is doing too much 80's type/new wave/synth pop music. He's seems stuck in a rut. For me, these all tend to sound "the same" or similar enough. And I really don't like that too regular drum machine tick-tick-tick sound. No real drummer/drumming sounds that way and unless the song is compelling in other ways, I find that synth drum sound gets irritating to listen to after awhile.

Last edited:
I concur it is a missed opportunity. The Tainted Love video would have been nice as well.

I also concur that the series has gotten into a little of what I'll call a "new wave rut." I like a limited amount of synth pop but where is the rock?
Man it's *just* starting to look like we might get out of the "rock rut", don't jinx it.

I for one welcome eighties surround music. I do love seventies music too, but we have already a lot out there and a lot still coming: Quadio, Dutton, Japanese SACDs…
oh absolutely!! 💘

it's logical since Quad was in it's heyday in the 70's there'd be a sizeable amount of vintage 70's Quad mixes for labels to draw upon for Surround reissues etc of course but i agree with you, there's another 40+ years of wonderful music that's not from the 70's that would lend itself beautifully to Surround Sound as well!!

bring on the 80's, 90's and 00's in 5.1 and beyond!! 🥰

A pass for me, especially after sampling the entire album on Apple Music. Tainted Love towers above the other tracks IMHO, and not including the Tainted Love / Where Did Our Love Go EP tracks is a serious miss. There's plenty of other 80's synth pop I'd rather listen to than this, even in Atmos.

This is way outside my comfort zone, I mean 1980s Disco-Pop!! Apart from "Tainted Love" I don't know any of the tracks, but I suspect it will be an excellent mix as Trevor Horn is involved. So duly ordered - it would also irritate me if I saw on the shelf No.14, No.16 and no No.15! :LOL:
I'm very happy about this, "Say Hello, Wave Goodbye" is a favorite of mine. Soft Cell aren't for everyone, but I'm neither a synth pop nor a synth disco fan, but Soft Cell (and Marc Almond's Marc And The Mambas) have a sharp flair for drama that most synth pop bands lacked. Tim Bowness and Steven Wilson's No Man project strikes me as having a fair bit of influence from Soft Cell and Marc And The Mambas' less dancey material.

Great, super fun album!! With fond memories attached 😊 … Pre-ordered!

I do seem to recall this one being an oft-requested album to be released in a multi-channel format...

Side note: “Youth” is my favorite song from this album. If you don’t like “Tainted Love,” give that a chance.

Last edited:
Agreed! The ~9 min version blending the 2 made the combined song much more interesting. Without this version this release is a very missed opportunity. If it was included, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Now I really have to think hard about it, since the other songs really don't interest me. I bookmarked the deluxe album in my Qobuz library several years ago just for that combined song and not sure I need to have the rest of the album in Atmos. Not compelling.

I do think SDE is doing too much 80's type/new wave/synth pop music. He's seems stuck in a rut. For me, these all tend to sound "the same" or similar enough. And I really don't like that too regular drum machine tick-tick-tick sound. No real drummer/drumming sounds that way and unless the song is compelling in other ways, I find that synth drum sound gets irritating to listen to after awhile.
yes, the 9 min version is great and a big lost opportunity. I remember local radio at the time of release (early 1982 in Tasmania) playing that version instead of the 7 inch single.

Back