Soft Cell "Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret" - Blu-Ray Audio with Dolby Atmos mix coming 12/1 (SDE #15)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see any mention of the Tainted Love/Where Did Our Love Go 12" single mix. If that is not included, it would be a huge whiff.
Yes - that is a shame - I remember buying that mix back in the day…probably my first venture outside of “classic rock”
Ordered anyway…partially to support SDE…partially completist OCD…partially what the heck…how bad can it be?! 🙃

About two weeks ago, I made a purchase for $23 Euros? for Van Morrison, shipping was $8 Euros?. This is approximately $32.80 USD.
To get Soft Cell it is now $30 USD for the disc and $10 USD shipping. That is quite an increase since Oct. 6. I also noticed that all the recent releases are now increased to this new price. There is discounted shipping, where it is $15 USD for 2 discs.

About two weeks ago, I made a purchase for $23 Euros? for Van Morrison, shipping was $8 Euros?. This is approximately $32.80 USD.
To get Soft Cell it is now $30 USD for the disc and $10 USD shipping. That is quite an increase since Oct. 6. I also noticed that all the recent releases are now increased to this new price. There is discounted shipping, where it is $15 USD for 2 discs.
I put it in the basket to try. The price was £23 as it has always been for my orders and £10 for shipping. When I went to checkout, the disc was $30 and shipping $13. That's the currency difference, I've never seen the price in €. By the way, I did not order it, just a test. ;)

I saw $40 which I thought was steep, but it's because they didn't put the currency so I presumed it would be US$ (as most sites are when they don't identify with 2-3 letters which dollar they're referring to). Turns out it was CA$, add the CA$14 shipping and it came to CA$54; really not much different considering my last pre-order (Duran Duran, £23 plus £8 shipping) showed up on my credit card after conversion as CA$54.58

I saved CA$0.58!

One of my very favorite albums ..... how could I NOT order .......? Disco is alive and well .... well into the NEW MILLENNIUM!
You and me both. I was stunned when that email showed up! I just hope the mix sounds good in 7.1 since I haven't set up Atmos.

I saw $40 which I thought was steep, but it's because they didn't put the currency so I presumed it would be US$ (as most sites are when they don't identify with 2-3 letters which dollar they're referring to). Turns out it was CA$, add the CA$14 shipping and it came to CA$54; really not much different considering my last pre-order (Duran Duran, £23 plus £8 shipping) showed up on my credit card after conversion as CA$54.58

I saved CA$0.58!
How do I get to pay in CA$? Lol, would save me money, because in USD it went up over $7 in 2 weeks!

Got the pre-order email from SDE, couldn't buy it quickly enough ! Synthpop, 80's doesn't begin to describe what a radically different album this was when it came out and there's still nothing like it. I always wince when people say 'Tainted Love was good but isn't that all they did ?'. It's up there with Led Zeppelin 'Oh yes, Stairway to Heaven, but they're a bit heavy for me' and Mike Oldfield 'That Exorcist track. did he do anything after that ?'. This ( for me ) is an album that's listened to start to end. Picking a track out is like just listening to a single track off P.F. The Wall. It's all or nothing :) And I'm ALL in !
The 12" singles were also something to behold. Bedsitter has whole sections chopped out for the 7" mix .
And the Tainted Love / Where Did Our Love Go ( which they wrote neither of, so very little money came in on their epic breakthrough single ) is warped within an inch of it's life on Tainted Dub.

It's a Marmite Band, and love them :)
Discuss and have a listen :)
Jem.

Got the pre-order email from SDE, couldn't buy it quickly enough ! Synthpop, 80's doesn't begin to describe what a radically different album this was when it came out and there's still nothing like it. I always wince when people say 'Tainted Love was good but isn't that all they did ?'. It's up there with Led Zeppelin 'Oh yes, Stairway to Heaven, but they're a bit heavy for me' and Mike Oldfield 'That Exorcist track. did he do anything after that ?'. This ( for me ) is an album that's listened to start to end. Picking a track out is like just listening to a single track off P.F. The Wall. It's all or nothing
Completely agree. I remember the first time I ever actually heard the whole thing after being familiar with The Big Hit and falling in love with it. Not a single dud in the bunch and several that are every bit as good as what wound up on the radio.

Currently listening to the nine minute 12" version of "Say Hello Wave Goodbye" and loving the extra-long instrumental before the vocal finally shows up.

Love the second album too, especially "Heat". Curiously, I never warmed up to "This Last Night in Sodom".

Completely agree. I remember the first time I ever actually heard the whole thing after being familiar with The Big Hit and falling in love with it. Not a single dud in the bunch and several that are every bit as good as what wound up on the radio.

Currently listening to the nine minute 12" version of "Say Hello Wave Goodbye" and loving the extra-long instrumental before the vocal finally shows up.

Love the second album too, especially "Heat". Curiously, I never warmed up to "This Last Night in Sodom".
'This Last Night ....' Bought on the day it came out ( like 'The Art Of ...' with the 12" of Martin (WOW) and the Hendrix Medley ( erm ) , It was a continuation of the dive into articulate darkness. It's not 'easy listening' but rewarding in the journey into the Soft Cell depths, the words, singing and music really grow, to me anyway. NOT pop :). AND it was marked as MONO/STEREO wtf ? Who would not mix tracks into STEREO in 1984 ?? It sure works ... But Cruelty Without Beauty ? I almost missed it ! A proper smilefest from start to finish. Proper grumbly bass too. Maybe the start of an SDE Soft Cell Atmos series. Properly done without compression n ting I would be IN !

Ok, so I don't know much about foreign currency symbols...the prices previously listed were not in Euros, but in Pound Sterling. Big difference! The price conversion to USD now vs. my last order is a few cents more or less depending on the daily exchange rates. Not some drastic change that I thought Euros made it. I apologize for my confusion. Damn British money! On a related note, guess I'll stop complaining and just buy this disc.

I've just been to the Atmos premiere playback session at the Soho Dolby Screening Room, courtesy of Paul from SDE. There was a lottery on the SDE website, and I won a ticket.

Superb mix, very active, ceiling speakers properly engaged with lots of discrete elements (or my perception of ceiling speakers; see below). Get it while you can! Yes, apparently you still can - Paul mentioned in his 'opening speech' that they have some copies available for pre-order via the SDE shop.

This was my first experience of cinematic Atmos playback. I am still trying to wrap my head around how what I heard from the 36 speakers* translates to a living room experience, but this will be fun to listen to at home either way! It takes some training of your ears to fully appreciate discreteness on a 5.x.4 setup. With 36 speakers, it's just a bubble of sound without a clear-cut separation of where the planes of fronts, heights, rears and surrounds begin and end.

* - including 5 subwoofers the size of a washing machine each and 5 fridge-sized front speakers behind the screen taking care of the LCR duties. Cheers to the sound engineer for a quick tour of the setup after the playback session!

This is way outside my comfort zone, I mean 1980s Disco-Pop!! Apart from "Tainted Love" I don't know any of the tracks, but I suspect it will be an excellent mix as Trevor Horn is involved. So duly ordered - it would also irritate me if I saw on the shelf No.14, No.16 and no No.15! :LOL:
Like many here I'm more a fan of seventies (and sixties) music and I hate Disco but. I do not consider Soft Cell to be disco (pop,maybe) at least not disco in the same vein as artists like Boney M or The Village People. I even bought the LP back in the day but must confess that I haven't listened to it in years. I don't have Atmos so I do hope that this will fold down to 4.0 nicely. Very welcome as eighties music is underrepresented on the surround side. No separate 5.1 mix?

Back