What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here's what's stamped in the runout of Side 1 of the Dutch SQ of Santana's "Amigos"..
on one part of the runout it has "Q-86005-1A-1" stamped and round the label a bit it has "QAL 33576-1D" hand etched

Ihu2vIz.jpg

DnGTO2z.jpg

while the Israeli-pressed for Israel SQ LP has "QAL 33576-1B" hand etched in the runout of Side 1;

RvqGnYb.jpg

what does it all mean? I've no idea.. but isn't it all good clean fun!
(unlike my records which are really dusty! phew! time for a spring clean! :D

how and which ones FW?
the couple of late era Single Inventory CBS SQ LPs I have, both Classical, CBS Masterworks imprint (Stravinsky Pulcinella Suite - 1978) and (Britten In Memoriam - 1977) both say "Printed In Holland" on the reverse of their sleeves.. does that answer the question? :yikes

Well any British CBS pressings that were single inventory in the last years of quad production would be quite telling me thinks. (The 77 78 editions on Masterworks )

If you have none but Dutch editions.....then the answer would be they were all pressed in Holland for the British market and imported in.

I have Thijs Van Leer's 77 and this particular copy was imported from the U.S.......not sure if it was also pressed in Canada.

And I have the broadway edition of Annie and this particular copy was indeed pressed in Canada . From this I can assume both imports and local quad pressings occurred, but that's not really a surprise for this Country.

My lone CBS (Britain) disc would suggest it used a U.S. metal stamper , but the paper label has no indication that it's Dutch or a Dutch pressing.....but that's really not definitive . I would assume it was pressed in Britain but who knows...could be
Holland ?

Strange but....you can't really tell with those early CBS pressings.

Those last editions should be more definitive I think. It would seem all your late editions are Dutch....but imported into

Britian .

This may be what they did all along.....for pressing....for British CBS quads . (and stereo ?) That of course does not include the very initial SQ releases that were American discs with stickers to cover up Columbia.

Oh I forgot to mention,

My lone copy of CBS British quad is Mahavishnu Orchestra-Birds of Fire......in a stereo sleeve with a nice little gold "Q " in the upper left corner...covering the stereo indication.

Freddums..old buddy and quad sleuth...you may have a couple of like pressings, same time period that is......and if I'm correct...the pressings suggest a American stamper was used ?

Maybe check it out....I find that they used the U.S. stampers means they did not muck about with SQ encoded Reels ! I wonder why , unless it was for a guaranteed product type of thing--quality control.:D(y)

Maybe check it out....I find that they used the U.S. stampers means they did not muck about with SQ encoded Reels ! I wonder why , unless it was for a guaranteed product type of thing--quality control.:D(y)

i believe the lp's were shipped over without covers where cbs used the uk covers and added the gold stickers on the cover and label

Yes Bill, I think you're right - it's probably the one I use most for general performance checks. Certainly of more general day-to-day use than the equipment calibration discs such as the CBS one in my avatar. Only really having a need for SQ, I didn't realise it came in those different flavours! What was "Project 3" though? I always thought is was a rather strange name for a quad product but I have also recently seen that there was a Project 3 stereo test disc - equally incongruous!
Project was a label, started by Enoch Light, and featured many of his cronies. Their records, both stereo and quad, were very high quality recordings, sort of a successor to Command Records' super stereo efforts. Project 3 was probably the only company that offered quad releases in all three major systems; QS, SQ, and CD-4.

Project was a label, started by Enoch Light, and featured many of his cronies. Their records, both stereo and quad, were very high quality recordings, sort of a successor to Command Records' super stereo efforts. Project 3 was probably the only company that offered quad releases in all three major systems; QS, SQ, and CD-4.

Some of their earlier releases also used the Electrovoice Stereo-4 matrix, stylized as the "new stereo". Interestingly it seems they had settled on SQ as their system of choice by the time quad died out.

It's called "Project 3" because it was Enoch Light's third label, which he founded after selling Command Records to ABC. Command released the experimental stereo LP "Persuasive Percussion" under Light's supervision in the late '50s.

A lot of the Project 3 arrangements are dated to say the least (in a similar way to Hugo Montenegro's quad releases), but the mixes are mostly very aggressive and their are some real gems in their catalog IMO. My favorite is "Tony Mottola & The Quad Guitars", which sort of plays as a 1970s version of an LAGQ album.

If you're getting into vintage quad, you're probably going to run into a Project 3 LP/Tape eventually. I'm sure most collectors here have quite a few of them. Their system evaluation LP, offered in all quad vinyl and tape formats (the QS one seems to be much rarer than the SQ or CD-4), is absolutely one of the best out there.

I'd be really nice if D-V could look into their catalog- I'm not sure who owns the tapes or what state they are in today.

Last edited:
Some of their earlier releases also used the Electrovoice Stereo-4 matrix, stylized as the "new stereo". Interestingly it seems they had settled on SQ as thir system of choice by the time quad died out.

It's called "Project 3" because it was Enoch Light's third label, which he founded after selling Command Records, which released the early stereo recording "Persuasive Percussion", to ABC.

A lot of the Project 3 arrangements are dated to say the least (in a similar way to Hugo Montenegro's quad releases), but the mixes are mostly very aggressive and their are some real gems in their catalog IMO. My favorite is "Tony Mottola & The Quad Guitars", which sort of plays as a 1970s version of an LAGQ album.

If you're getting into vintage quad, you're probably going to run into a Project 3 LP/Tape eventually. I'm sure most collectors here have quite a few of them. Their system evaluation LP, offered in all quad vinyl and tape formats (the QS one seems to be much rarer than the SQ or CD-4), is absolutely one of the best out there.

I'd be really nice if D-V could look into their catalog- I'm not sure who owns the tapes or what state they are in today.
Very true that the earliest Project 3 quad LP's used the EV Stereo-4 system, which was the first active matrix system on the market. That system decodes nicely on QS systems.

Project 3 was, indeed, Light's third label, with Grand Award and Command being the first two. Light had more control at Project 3, and with him being the innovator he was, gave him the impetus and ability to offer some impressive quad albums. Interestingly enough, after Light sold Command to ABC, some of the Command albums released under Light's watch, were remixed in QS by ABC, and re-released. Their gatefold covers featured a Sansui QS encoder prominently in the photo inside. At the time, the term "QS" still was relatively unheard. When I first encountered one of their albums, which I snapped up, I was told it was encoded in the "Sansui System". Project 3 used QS more prominently, but offered some records in all three formats. Their CD-4 pressings were among the best US CD-4 pressings out there. Their last few quad LP's were, indeed, offered only in SQ, but by that time the handwriting was on the wall. Quad was on its way out.

I have Enoch's "Permissive Polyphonics " in 2 matrices and CD-4.

EV-4 , QS , and CD-4. Don't know if it was ever encoded for SQ .(probably not, though one can wonder )

It is interesting the comittal to quad formats by such a small label as Project 3 . Released a large number of discs in 4 quad formats for vinyl. (plus QR and Q8).

EV-4 , QS , and CD-4. Don't know if it was ever encoded for SQ .(probably not, though one can wonder )

It is interesting the comittal to quad formats by such a small label as Project 3 . Released a large number of discs in 4 quad formats for vinyl. (plus QR and Q8).

I've got Permissive Polyphonics in CD-4 and EV. I think the QS/RM version was Japan only, Mark Anderson's Surround Discography shows King 4R-4 as the catalog #. No SQ version but a bunch of tracks made it to the SQ Popular Science LP, including the crazy (but admittedly rather catchy) synth-laden cover of "Marrakesh Express".

I think the EV version is actually a different mix though- the synth flying around in the beginning of "Marrakesh" seems to decode differently than the SQ or CD-4. I also wonder if the QS is really a different encode/mix and not just the EV repackaged.

I just ordered a copy of the QS Popular Science LP, so ideally I'd like to compare the QS encode of that track from the Japan LP to the Popular Science QS, and compare both with the EV to get the full story.

Confused yet? :mad:@:

It's called "Project 3" because it was Enoch Light's third label, which he founded after selling Command Records, which released the early stereo recording "Persuasive Percussion", to ABC.

I'd no idea that was the case - you learn something new everyday - thanks!

Interestingly enough, after Light sold Command to ABC, some of the Command albums released under Light's watch, were remixed in QS by ABC, and re-released. Their gatefold covers featured a Sansui QS encoder prominently in the photo inside.

I have the QS "Persuasive Percussion" along with a couple other LPs from that early ABC Command Quad series. That album is a stereo showcase and the quad is kind of so-so (like many ABC mixes)...not sure if this is due to lack of multis/elements or unadventurous mixing.

This box set just received in sealed condition -

A PL.jpg

B PL.jpg

the original quad recording dates back to 1977 but this has to be a later re-issue as on this example EMI were not exactly shouting about it being in Quad – there’s no SQ logo anywhere – I had to hunt to confirm it was what I’d paid for (!) the only tell-tale is the tiny “quadro” under the record number. Since the box has a printed bar code (and the HMV price label is bar coded) I guess this version must be from the mid eighties. There’s a handwritten sticker on the front which had someone’s name and the date 27/1/90 but I’m not sure what that refers to - was it perhaps reserved for that person but never collected?

I've found earlier versions of the box artwork where the SQ logo WAS proudly displayed -

s-l1600.jpg

How times changed!

Permissive Polyphonics, like Spaced Out before it, were not released in SQ. Both were released in QS and EV, as well as CD-4. Enoch Light developed the label to spotlight innovations in sound, and quad was part of it. He was also great at arranging for quad, too.

I've got Permissive Polyphonics in CD-4 and EV. I think the QS/RM version was Japan only, Mark Anderson's Surround Discography shows King 4R-4 as the catalog #. No SQ version but a bunch of tracks made it to the SQ Popular Science LP, including the crazy (but admittedly rather catchy) synth-laden cover of "Marrakesh Express".

I think the EV version is actually a different mix though- the synth flying around in the beginning of "Marrakesh" seems to decode differently than the SQ or CD-4. I also wonder if the QS is really a different encode/mix and not just the EV repackaged.

I just ordered a copy of the QS Popular Science LP, so ideally I'd like to compare the QS encode of that track from the Japan LP to the Popular Science QS, and compare both with the EV to get the full story.

Confused yet? :mad:@:

I dunno , SJ

Looks QS to me . Also the EV-4 disc has different vinyl run out # indications as opposed to the QS version, so they are indeed different pressings.
I think Enoch was too much of a " true " promoter of quad to fake a matrix.

If this was Ovation's ...I might believe it. Larry Clifton had Project 3 well vetted but he mentioned Ovation EV-4 were a bit of a puzzle .
And fwiw both Quad Inc and the Quad Discography have " most" but not all of the quads listed. You only have to check some the the prior posts on this very thread to observe this.

20180212_182611.jpg

Oh I forgot to mention,

My lone copy of CBS British quad is Mahavishnu Orchestra-Birds of Fire......in a stereo sleeve with a nice little gold "Q " in the upper left corner...covering the stereo indication.

Freddums..old buddy and quad sleuth...you may have a couple of like pressings, same time period that is......and if I'm correct...the pressings suggest a American stamper was used ?

Pic of the Brit ? disc I have.
I was back then....looking for more of these , but unfortunately never came across others .Actually sold or traded my Canadian pressing after getting this . Dumb huh ! :rolleyes:

20180212_182727.jpg20180212_182734.jpg20180212_182935.jpg20180212_182804.jpg

Pic of the Brit ? disc I have.
I was back then....looking for more of these , but unfortunately never came across others .Actually sold or traded my Canadian pressing after getting this . Dumb huh ! :rolleyes:

View attachment 32162View attachment 32163View attachment 32164View attachment 32165

FizzyWiggs, I have a couple labels like this one. The reason I felt they were Canadian pressings for the foreign market was the writing at the bottom of the label. Thee is no mention of U.S.A. or Holland manufacture. I strongly feel that they are Canadian pressings that had possible overlap in the American market, as well as for restickering for foreign markets. I rely heavily on the quad discography and did a searrch of Holland pressings and only cane up with less than 10. I can see missing a few, but not almost all of the popular titles that could have potentially been pressed in th EU. If therre is a way to know for sure, I really want to know. I hope Mark stumbles on this topic and comments.

FizzyWiggs, I have a couple labels like this one. The reason I felt they were Canadian pressings for the foreign market was the writing at the bottom of the label. Thee is no mention of U.S.A. or Holland manufacture. I strongly feel that they are Canadian pressings that had possible overlap in the American market, as well as for restickering for foreign markets. I rely heavily on the quad discography and did a searrch of Holland pressings and only cane up with less than 10. I can see missing a few, but not almost all of the popular titles that could have potentially been pressed in th EU. If therre is a way to know for sure, I really want to know. I hope Mark stumbles on this topic and comments.

Interesting theory I would suppose .

The major reason I think that there were pressings in Britain ....is because they had such well established and excellent pressing plants....such as DECCA , EMI , PYE....and likely others (who'd I miss ?)

Could they be Canadian--possible , could they be Dutch--possible.....but only CBS records would know for certain. All we can do is speculate and give our educated guess .:rolleyes:

Hi. All

I have a strange one here Philips LP called power sonic4 it has a reference to Australia in the text anybody knows what this is
View attachment 32174

Cool find Bill !! :D :upthumb

A mystery "matrix " from Philips , yet .

Well we know they made Quad recordings in the 70's ....but UNRELEASED (for the most part , except Asian market---and now down under). Oh my , isn't the world wide web fun for us quaddies ? :D

Who knows what's yet to be discovered.

Back