ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Newbie questions of the week:

1. When I set my SACD player to PCM the signal to my AVR is PCM 176.4khz. Why such an odd number?
Is this considered Superior to PCM 96khz

2. What does SACD provide that DVD-A didn't?
From what I've heard anyone using bass management/room correction is getting PCM anyway. Why bother with DSD?
Standard DSD64 has a single bit sampled at 2.8224MHz decimated by 16 and low pass filtered gives a PCM signal with a 176.4kHz sample rate. Its not superior its just what comes out of the Digital Signal Processing in your player.

DSD is essentially a cheap way to get a high number of bits by oversampling then decimating and filtering (it uses Delta-Sigma convertors which use less Silicon area on a chip so is cheaper to manufacture), someone had the 'brain-wave' to put the DSD stream onto a disc, and we got SACD. The advantage of SACD is the disc plays directly and there are no compatibility issues with menus etc. as has been found many times with DVD-A where firmware updates were necessary to play some DVD-As. I have my player set-up to convert DSD to PCM.

Standard DSD64 has a single bit sampled at 2.8224MHz decimated by 16 and low pass filtered gives a PCM signal with a 176.4kHz sample rate. Its not superior its just what comes out of the Digital Signal Processing in your player.

DSD is essentially a cheap way to get a high number of bits by oversampling then decimating and filtering (it uses Delta-Sigma convertors which use less Silicon area on a chip so is cheaper to manufacture), someone had the 'brain-wave' to put the DSD stream onto a disc, and we got SACD. The advantage of SACD is the disc plays directly and there are no compatibility issues with menus etc. as has been found many times with DVD-A where firmware updates were necessary to play some DVD-As. I have my player set-up to convert DSD to PCM.
Thanks !

I know many people don't give much thought to Richard's "pet project", but these cats genuinely look like they're enjoying themselves. I honestly think they sound great. The people in attendance must have had a great evening. When you stop to think about it, there tons of talent on that stage.

Still in South America.

Attachments

• 6528EFBB-94D4-4A7A-BC1D-F7297A586918.jpeg
    6528EFBB-94D4-4A7A-BC1D-F7297A586918.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 77EA4B51-A5E1-4CF0-B419-1211128D71E6.jpeg
    77EA4B51-A5E1-4CF0-B419-1211128D71E6.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 115
Gone are the days you could turn on a good diversified Rock, Pop, Jazz, Folk etc. FM radio station (here in the Central CA. valley it was KZAP in the 70's) and learn about new tunes or bands that really opened your hearts and minds.

So I guess now it's one of the services like Pandora, Spotify, YouTube etc. and also hanging out here on the QQ and learning new stuff from the knowledgeable members. But I still miss those old FM radio shows from those days, just something special about them, maybe a great DJ would share knowledge.
Speaking of Pandora, their store of music is limited but their personal customized (up to 100) channel building is pretty good. One of our favorite channels is a stock Pandora channel called: "DINNER JAZZ RADIO"

DF-TNF.jpg

Gone are the days you could turn on a good diversified Rock, Pop, Jazz, Folk etc. FM radio station (here in the Central CA. valley it was KZAP in the 70's) and learn about new tunes or bands that really opened your hearts and minds.

So I guess now it's one of the services like Pandora, Spotify, YouTube etc. and also hanging out here on the QQ and learning new stuff from the knowledgeable members. But I still miss those old FM radio shows from those days, just something special about them, maybe a great DJ would share knowledge.
Speaking of Pandora, their store of music is limited but their personal customized (up to 100) channel building is pretty good. One of our favorite channels is a stock Pandora channel called: "DINNER JAZZ RADIO"

View attachment 46272

I have a friend with a radio show on a local college station who plays a really diverse mix of new and lesser known music. It's really cool and it's turned me on to lots of stuff I never would have heard otherwise. It's available as an iTunes podcast or on his website. I used to do a show at the same station. Not quite as diverse of a mix, but I did play a lot of obscure acts (although there was a good bit of Beatles, Kinks and Who too... ;)) Archived episodes are available here.

OK, so I'm getting confused. Since I've never owned a Quad Reel.....

Are Reel tapes that say 4 channel Stereo considered Quad? If yes, why don't they just say Quadraphonic? Or do they? Ugh...
Terminology is confusssssssssing me.
All reels released from the mid 60's till today are 4 track. Stereo uses two tracks for side one and the other two tracks for side two. Quad uses all four tracks in one direction only so no side two. Tapes released before were usually half track which means just what it says. Two tracks accross the entire width of the tape.

Eh.....

So, does that mean that 4 track stereo is Quad? lol
The way I understand it for stereo, (as in the second diagram- purple section 2nd from right) the tape has a total of four tracks, two in one direction 1 & 3 and two in the other direction 2 & 4 when you run the tape in the opposite direction. Quad uses all tracks running simultaneously in one direction.

Back