Porcupine Tree 5.1 remasters - Deadwing / In Absentia - getting nearer?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you click on "Tracks" tab on the link you provided, there is a listing of each disc's contents.

CD 2

1. Collapse Intro [01:45]
2. Drown With Me [05:21]
3. Orchidia [03:27]
4. Chloroform [07:14]
5. Futile [06:06]
6. Meantime [03:17]
7. Blackest Eyes (radio edit) [03:38]
8. Trains (radio edit) [03:52]
9. Strip The Soul (video edit) [03:35]

Blu-ray

1. The Making Of In Absentia (documentary film) [1.49:45]
2. Blackest Eyes (5.1 mix) [04:26]
3. Trains (5.1 mix) [05:57]
4. Lips Of Ashes (5.1 mix) [04:40]
5. The Sound Of Muzak (5.1 mix) [04:59]
6. Gravity Eyelids (5.1 mix) [07:56]
7. Wedding Nails (5.1 mix) [06:33]
8. Prodigal (5.1 mix) [05:33]
9. .3 (5.1 mix) [05:26]
10. The Creator Has A Mastertape (5.1 mix) [05:21]
11. Heartattack In A Layby (5.1 mix) [04:15]
12. Strip The Soul (5.1 mix) [07:22]
13. Collapse The Light Into Earth (5.1 mix) [05:52]
14. Drown With Me (5.1 mix) [05:21]
15. Chloroform (5.1 mix) [07:14]
16. Futile (5.1 mix) [06:03]

Either the description is misleading or the track listing is off.
The set has arrived, on the back of the book it says on the Blu-Ray - In Absentia & 3 bonus tracks in 5.1, so 15 tracks in 5.1

• Wow
Reactions: GOS
Seeing reports at SH.tv that the CD 2 tracks are missing from the Blu-ray. For those who haven't ordered, I'd recommend waiting until this is addressed by the powers-that-be.

Correct! another quality control disaster 😔 who the hell is supposed to be checking these things before they go out? This thing is expensive so should be perfect. Apart from this it’s a lovely set and for me the 5.1 sounds better than the original DVDA.

Correct! another quality control disaster 😔 who the hell is supposed to be checking these things before they go out? This thing is expensive so should be perfect. Apart from this it’s a lovely set and for me the 5.1 sounds better than the original DVDA.

It will do, two channels have been phase corrected. You're right though. The book list all the CD 2 tracks as being on the blu-ray in 24/96. So there's no ambiguity. I for one was sold on that so I think we have cause to ask for replacement.

1582825997555.png

Aside from phase correction, can anyone who’s received their copy comment on the mastering of the new 5.1 mix, or post a wave pic from Audacity? The original 5.1 was mastered pretty hot with some heavy limiting.
I hear you man! This is the question (regardless of what we've heard) that we want to know.... FIRST HAND!! :SG

Aside from phase correction, can anyone who’s received their copy comment on the mastering of the new 5.1 mix, or post a wave pic from Audacity? The original 5.1 was mastered pretty hot with some heavy limiting.

Doesn't sound less hot to my ears. Carefully described as '2003'. Can't tell more until I rip it. SH DR nuts are saying stereo has gone from DR7 to DR11 and it sounds like it.

I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I ripped the 5.1 tracks from the Blu-ray, and it appears to have the same problems as the original DVD-A. The center channel still looks inverted in phase compared to the front L and R channels, and the LFE still seems to be delayed by about 10 msec from the other channels. If I'm correct, someone appears to have really messed up on this one.

I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I ripped the 5.1 tracks from the Blu-ray, and it appears to have the same problems as the original DVD-A. The center channel still looks inverted in phase compared to the front L and R channels, and the LFE still seems to be delayed by about 10 msec from the other channels. If I'm correct, someone appears to have really messed up on this one.
That’s not good news... I think I’ll wait a few more weeks before buying. There’s no point for me in getting this if the 5.1 is still incorrect.

@Plan9 should have a view on whether what is on the disc is what he supplied...

Just received email from Burning Shed:

Hi, Thanks very much for buying this deluxe edition of one of PT’s classic albums from us. We have been made aware of an unfortunate mistake on the Blu-ray disc. It should have included the audio from CD2 in high resolution (24/96) but those tracks/files are not there. Obviously we are eager for you to have a complete Blu-Ray disc but this is going to take a few weeks as a new master and manufacturing will take time. The “good” part is that you don’t have to do anything. We will automatically send a replacement Blu-ray to everyone who has bought this from us. Kscope are sorry for this mishap but please rest assured it will all be ok - you’re in good hands. We will email you again when the discs are about to be shipped. Please note that all replacement discs will be sent by standard mail without tracking. We won’t be sending any discs by courier. Anyone who bought the deluxe edition from other sellers will need to contact Kscope directly about getting a replacement disc. Watch their social media accounts for more information.

Kind regards

Just received email from Burning Shed:

Hi, Thanks very much for buying this deluxe edition of one of PT’s classic albums from us. We have been made aware of an unfortunate mistake on the Blu-ray disc. It should have included the audio from CD2 in high resolution (24/96) but those tracks/files are not there. Obviously we are eager for you to have a complete Blu-Ray disc but this is going to take a few weeks as a new master and manufacturing will take time. The “good” part is that you don’t have to do anything. We will automatically send a replacement Blu-ray to everyone who has bought this from us. Kscope are sorry for this mishap but please rest assured it will all be ok - you’re in good hands. We will email you again when the discs are about to be shipped. Please note that all replacement discs will be sent by standard mail without tracking. We won’t be sending any discs by courier. Anyone who bought the deluxe edition from other sellers will need to contact Kscope directly about getting a replacement disc. Watch their social media accounts for more information.

Kind regards
Good news, but not a word about phase issue on 5.1... Are they going to fix it finally?! :confused:

Back