Oppo 103 help please

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried theRCA hookups. Nothing. I switched the settings nothing. I’ve bypassed the rec to the tv nothing. Haven’t even heard the test sound from this.

I have removed a disc from the player and then did a factory reset. I can get video. Just no audio. If I take the hdmi out of the receiver and plug it into the tv I still get no sound from the oppo. Oppo is saying do an firmware update but I haven’t jump at that. Thought I heard somewhere I may lose some sacd capability.

I have removed a disc from the player and then did a factory reset. I can get video. Just no audio. If I take the hdmi out of the receiver and plug it into the tv I still get no sound from the oppo. Oppo is saying do an firmware update but I haven’t jump at that. Thought I heard somewhere I may lose some sacd capability.
AFAIK, I'm on the latest 103 firmware (BDP10X-83-1226). It plays SACDs just fine.

If you tried an analog RCA connection to your TV and got nothing, its looking more and more like the Oppo is fried. I dont know of any SACD capability you will loose by doing a firmware update. I also dont think you have anything to loose. If you sent it to Oppo for repair, they are probably going to flash the firmware anyway.

Did you get any kind of warranty when you bought it?

If you don't have a warranty and decide to get it fixed on your own, then go to the Oppo site to the 103, find the service connection, it will tell you at some point what the cost will be. You will send it to California on your dime, the good folks at OT will fix it, update the firmware, and send it back to you via 3 day shipping with no further charges.
I had my old Oppo DV-970HD repaired by them.

I did hdmi cable oppo to tv still no sound. No Warrenty
By all means try the firmware update. I suppose there is a possibility that the firmware is corrupt and that is causing the problem.

Also, im not clear if you said you did this... get a set of RCA cables and connect the front R/L pair to an analog input for the AVR and try to play a cd.

OK good. you're getting analog out. if you are saying you're getting sound out of the receiver without the oppo connected to it, its playing from the return channel on the HDMI line

Yes sound when I plug two red and white rca cables to oppo and up to the tv I get sound both from tv and rec. oddly enough but glad I’m hearing sound. When I disconnect the red and white and go with just the hdmi to rec nothing.

Yes sound when I plug two red and white rca cables to oppo and up to the tv I get sound both from tv and rec. oddly enough but glad I’m hearing sound. When I disconnect the red and white and go with just the hdmi to rec nothing.
Sad to say, but if we are convinced you've tried all possible setup options and still get nothing, its likely something up with the audio side of the HDMI board in the player. Boondocks has the same components as you are using. if you set yours like his and got nowhere, there is not much else to conclude.

Still try the firmware update. you never know.

As you can get stereo out of the analogue connections I'd try a factory reset, then the firmware update. If that doesn't solve it send it to Oppo to repair, something internal that creates the HDMI data stream from the data off the disc has gone wrong.

A lot of if's at play here! Before sending the thing in for repairs, I'd go back through every possible configuration possibility, on both the player and the AVR. Double, triple, quadruple check. It could be just one setting in either device. Could be the cable too. The physical layer is quite often the cause with computer networking problems, after all.

A lot of if's at play here! Before sending the thing in for repairs, I'd go back through every possible configuration possibility, on both the player and the AVR. Double, triple, quadruple check. It could be just one setting in either device. Could be the cable too. The physical layer is quite often the cause with computer networking problems, after all.

Mike is correct here regarding the cable. But i think the OP has swapped the HDMI cable out. If not you should, preferably with something you know works to pass audio

Back