Anti-static removal on vinyl LPs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. PUPSTER

💿🐕 Senior Disc Chaser 🎸
QQ Supporter
Have been considering this recently (came up in another thread.)
If it's a problem on stereo LPs; then it should also be an issue with Quad LPs. I guess some locations have more problems with this than others (i.e. - drier climates?) Some swear by this device called a MILTY but there are complaints it's cheaply built.
Here's a video of it in action also Zerostat 3 (a bit of an ad as well, but there are many others on Youtube.)

Any thoughts on this? I have static issues here in California occasionally, and since I'm ramping up my LP playing/converting, I'd like to be informed and ready :)

Any thoughts on this? I have static issues here in California occasionally, and since I'm ramping up my LP playing/converting, I'd like to be informed and ready :)

I have one and I've used it. I can't be sure if it's really doing much or not, because I seem to always find vinyl noisy no matter what I do. I long ago hit the point where 99% of my vinyl playing is for the sake of digitization, where I can (usually, anyway) post-process the noise out of it.

Have been considering this recently (came up in another thread.)
If it's a problem on stereo LPs; then it should also be an issue with Quad LPs. I guess some locations have more problems with this than others (i.e. - drier climates?) Some swear by this device called a MILTY but there are complaints it's cheaply built.
Here's a video of it in action also Zerostat 3 (a bit of an ad as well, but there are many others on Youtube.)

I bought the original Zerostat & still have it somewhere. I also would use a brush called a Static Master that had a slightly radioactive Polonium strip in it to neutralize the static electricity. Like @atrocity said, they never seemed to do much. Best thing to do with the Zerostat was to zap someone in the arm when they weren't expecting it.

Back in the day, Discwasher sold "anti-static" vinyl-and-ricepaper sleeves that I would buy for my most prized records. Whether they actually did anything is anybody's guess.

Amazon still sells them under the Mobile Fidelity name as well as another name that I can't remember at the moment. I don't know if they're really anti-static or not, but they're definitely nice sleeves.

Same for the Audio Technica "Lifesaver" solution that I also used. (I think it was silicone based?)

I recently digitized a record I treated with that 40 or so years ago and it didn't seem to have been hurt by the stuff, for what that's worth.

Amazon still sells them under the Mobile Fidelity name as well as another name that I can't remember at the moment. I don't know if they're really anti-static or not, but they're definitely nice sleeves.

I recently digitized a record I treated with that 40 or so years ago and it didn't seem to have been hurt by the stuff, for what that's worth.
I never used the fancy rice paper record sleeves but I always had a stock of paper/plastic sleeves to replace the stock paper sleeves. But I usually kept them anyway cuz they often quad adverising on them.

I've never had a fancy wet cleaning record machine but I always used Discwasher hand held wet cleaner. And the closest I got to vinyl snake oil was Last Record Preservative. There seemed to be some good science behind it & with out a doubt my records from the oldy days treated with Last still sound the best. I also used Last Stylus Cleaner. Poke around the Last site it has some very interesting stuff.

I also find wet cleaning neutralizes static. I always use a paper sleeve for a cleaned record. Some all-plastic sleeves create static and some (w/polyethylene, according to one supply seller) can cloud the vinyl with a visible pattern and surface noise.
The nuisance of the record getting dust covered immediately upon unsleeving is the worst thing about static. I suppose a Zerostat might help in a dry climate. I never tried zapping a record before taking off the inner sleeve. Maybe that would prevent dust attraction.

I still have my old Watts disc preener, I think it was called, or a clone thereof.
A black fluffy round thing, bu t NOT the one that had the water reservoir inside. I guess the water was supposed to help with static but I didn't use it.
That's it now,
Oh yeah I had the Discwasher stuff for a while after it came out, I liked it at the time. I HAVE washed records before, as well, with distilled water if I had it.
I knew people that used to buy those cylinders that tracked ahead of the stylus and filled with ALCOHOL for criminy's sake, all to get a recording of a very bad LP. lol. Cuts the static, and the top end. :rolleyes:

I have a Zerostat3 and I absolutely find it worthless. Why? Because, you are supposed to pull the trigger at a very precise speed and you are supposed to NOT hear a loud click too early on the device. I simply cannot get the pull correct. Mine sits in a closet...never to be used I guess.

I have a Zerostat3 and I absolutely find it worthless. Why? Because, you are supposed to pull the trigger at a very precise speed and you are supposed to NOT hear a loud click too early on the device. I simply cannot get the pull correct. Mine sits in a closet...never to be used I guess.
But do you notice much problems with static on your LPs (I know you play & convert them a lot); and if so, how do you handle it?
I do have a Discwasher brush and a Spin Clean (haven’t busted out yet- hassle. Not sure how effective the brush is on static.)

*General question for everyone weighing in.

I still have the Discwasher, a Parastat, A Zerostat, and an Autocleanica.

But to get rid of static electricity, you need a humidifier near the turntable.

I still have the Discwasher, a Parastat, A Zerostat, and an Autocleanica.

But to get rid of static electricity, you need a humidifier near the turntable.
Isn’t humidity bad for electronics?
Guess that’s why it’s more of a problem in dryer climates. Might need to dig deeper into the atmospheric science of static charges. Not really trying to make this into a science project though, just figure out how others handle it.
One way I guess to avoid it would be to not work on conversions on days when there is a lot of static around.
Sounds crazy, but has anyone tried dryer sheets?
Found a thread on this:
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/a-used-dryer-sheet-to-remove-static.186039/

Last edited:
Go on e-bay and look up "Carbon Fibre Cleaner" That's right, it's a carbon fiber (grounded) brush. Not only does it remove (read the directions) static electricity it will remove loose dust and hairs.

But do you notice much problems with static on your LPs (I know you play & convert them a lot); and if so, how do you handle it?
I do have a Discwasher brush and a Spin Clean (haven’t busted out yet- hassle. Not sure how effective the brush is on static.)

*General question for everyone weighing in.
I have tons of trouble with static in the winter months. Literally, when I lift the vinyl, I can hear the crackling and it tries to pull the mat up with it. Summer months, no static at all. It's super hard to deal with for me. I don't have the answer. OK, I do have the answer. If I use my wet wash system, that takes care of static, at least for that 1 time.

Some people I know use anti static spray on their carpets around the area where the table is, I'm told it works but never tried it myself. As mentioned by others a good wet vac sustem has
made static a none issue for me.

I'm deliberately going to throw a wet blanket on putting an anti-static liquid on LPs.

If you're tempted, don't! I did back in the mid, late 70's, early 80's using a product named Permastat. I applied it according to directions, giving the LP a light spritz from the bottle and spreading/smoothing it around the surface with a very soft brush provided in the kit.

Here's the aftermath: your stylus will now pickup gobs of gunk, dust and possibly even solvent loosened particles of vinyl which collect around the stylus tip, eventually causing distortion. So the tip needs cleaning after every play. Think about it - you put on this liquid which collects crud which is being dragged through the grooves, akin to scraping the delicate grooves from friction. It negates static but that stylus buildup can't be good for the health and longevity of the grooves. It creates a micro-sticky residue.

That's not all. I used it on a number of stereo and CD-4 LPs, including some audiophile pressings by Mofi, Sheffield Labs. And within a few years, some of them started to play with more not less noise. Fast forward some and I started noticing the vinyl had tiny pits in the grooves. Literally, the Permastat was either eating into the vinyl or bacteria/fungus growing in the microscopic layer in the grooves was. At no time were the LP's stored in a humid basement, attic etc. I have stored my LPs correctly, in temp controlled audio/video rooms in only 2 houses. The pitting got worse with time, rendering them nearly unlistenable with noise, distortion. Literally, every stereo & CD-4 LP I used Permastat on were ruined, pits getting larger over years, clearly visible and very noisy playback. I have hundreds of stereo & quad LPs in my collection which I didn't use Permastat on; still in great shape and near-new & great playback, even after ~40 yrs! And all those I used Permastat on were trashed & unlistenable.

I've managed to replace most of my prized ruined ones off Ebay; bought 3 used Sheffield Labs and was very lucky they were in fantastic shape, near-new playback. I even managed to find decent, if not great, CD4 replacements that are at least playable. But I haven't been so fortunate trying to replace ~4 CD4 titles over the past 10 yrs and I've tried several used ones off Ebay; every one was so bad/worn/abused they're barely listenable; probably played with an cheap TT & elliptical stylus or stored in basements or attics. I may try one more time to replace these but not hopeful. I think I'm SOL.

Lesson is - please be careful. Don't blanket believe marketing BS on record antistatic/preservative products.

You may find you made a mistake and regret it like me. These are organic polymers, surfactants and/or lubricants. Would you put a synthetic lubricant like WD40 on your records? Based on my experience, the only liquids that belong on vinyl are record cleaners and water!

If you want an antistat, get one of the ion "guns" like a Milty Zerostat. I have a Zerostat also from the 70's, I think it might have been sold by Discwasher back then but same gun. That works and won't damage your records. All these liquids are a crapshoot since 1) the companies never tell you the ingredients and 2) you'd have to have some basic knowledge of what the ingredients did based after looking up the specific of polymer/surfactant/lubricant components. I was in the water treatment industry for 37 yrs so did have a working knowledge of what the specific polymers were for. Add to that, did the company just do a literature search, buy the chemical(s) and blend them? Have they done long-term (10-20-30 yrs) testing & storage to back-up their claim that their product doesn't harm or degrade the vinyl? I doubt it! At best, maybe the company may do months or a year with the treated vinyl in storage with random inspections and playback to ensure the integrity of the vinyl before marketing it. Do you want to put trust or blind faith putting unknown chemicals with unknown long-term effects on a collection of sometimes irreplaceable records from the quad era? I did and it was big mistake.

And take a read on these links. I know I'll NEVER use an antistatic liquid/record preservative again, regardless of the company or their claims.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/removing-permastat-from-albums.96827/
https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?48973-Permastat-WTF
https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/113007-record-cleaningantistatic-aerosol-spray-1970s/
I know some swear by these products and say they haven't harmed the records but some have seen the long-term effects and want to remove it.

Last edited:
Go on e-bay and look up "Carbon Fibre Cleaner" That's right, it's a carbon fiber (grounded) brush. Not only does it remove (read the directions) static electricity it will remove loose dust and hairs.
I will look into this a little further, looks interesting (I'm not into putting any liquids on the LPs other than what maybe Spin Clean provides but not even sure about the Discwasher liquid, as I do believe any kind of liquid could possibly leave fine residue and build up over time)
We should chat about Elmer Keith sometime, I'd bet you've heard of him?
Here's one I found that looks interesting:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audioquest...874661?hash=item3d42cf1ce5:g:xDQAAOSw5j9Zgm0h

Back