Holy Cow Oppo BDP-103

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still puzzled what the ripped jeans are supposed to mean...is it that you've been kneeling a lot lately?

See the source image

Quite simply: Clothes don't make the man .... conversely, Man makes the clothes and the ripped jeans was simply an indicator which if you've ever followed fashion command hundreds of dollars [I've seen them go for $600] in boutique shops. I'll stick to my LEVIS for $40~65....fact is, I just bought two pairs for under $26 at a recent sale!

While you think I waste money on USELESS Tweaks ..... I counter that within a very high end audio system, the tweaks do work ... something that would not be as apparent in a lesser system [READ: HIGH END Separate Components versus Receivers ...... I have BOTH so I can make that comparison].

Quite simply: Clothes don't make the man .... conversely, Man makes the clothes and the ripped jeans was simply an indicator which if you've ever followed fashion command hundreds of dollars [I've seen them go for $600] in boutique shops. I'll stick to my LEVIS for $40~65....fact is, I just bought two pairs for under $26 at a recent sale!

While you think I waste money on USELESS Tweaks ..... I counter that within a very high end audio system, the tweaks do work ... something that would not be as apparent in a lesser system [READ: HIGH END Separate Components versus Receivers ...... I have BOTH so I can make that comparison].
I wear jeans like that all the time and I don't pay hundreds of dollars for them, and I wore them even before they were fashionable. I just can't afford new jeans when all my money goes on equipment!!

I wear jeans like that all the time and I don't pay hundreds of dollars for them, and I wore them even before they were fashionable. I just can't afford new jeans when all my money goes on equipment!!

All my jeans are pretty much intact but I was pretty aghast when I received one of those BLOOMINGDALE circulars and saw Ripped/tattered jeans going for $600!!!!!!!

And I did buy some LEVIS recently for $26 a pair and bought 2.........and why not, at THAT spectacular price?

I hear ya. Years ago I came in from outside being busy & saw my 2 teen age daughters sitting on the couch watching MTV. One asked "Dad, where did you get those ripped out jeans?"
Reply:" Hard work. Where did you get yours?"
Reply: "The Gap".

Have played a homemade Lonnie Mack 80+ minute CD on a Panasonic Blu Ray player, two different Kenwood model CD players, two different Pioneer Elite model SACD players and my "new" oppo BDP-83. CD quality near the OD isn't the greatest and the oppo does the best job of reading the tail end of the last track, by far.

The black also absorbs stray sound waves and energy vibrations. Like black holes, due to quantum mumblemumble. Stray waves and energy vibrations can cause all sorts of hash in your ears, which you should clear out with candling every month.
I've heard that as well. Makes sense.;)

Ralph, I know you like your tweaks. Its part of the enjoyment of the hobby for you, and over time, I've come to respect that.

But seriously, you cant really compare the performance difference between separates and AVRs to the use of magic stones and cable trestles. One has a foundation in engineering, science, and measured performance while the other does not.

I have always thought that was one of the biggest snow jobs in audio - that you wont hear the difference something makes unless the rest of the system is of high enough quality to resolve it. The fact is, if this were true, the high end system should have already had that addressed in the first place. If (enter your favorite mega buck high end brand here) truly felt that stones, rocks, or disks, $500 power leads, or special bases actually improved their product, they would just include them from the start, or at least recommend that these items are required for optimal performance. The closest anybody comes to that is a possible recommendation for using an alternate power supply. Maybe even those components that tout anti-vibration chassis. To a degree, even those improvements can be measured and quantified, its true effect on audibility though.... that's the debatable part.

Another that is just as bad is: the accuracy and resolving quality of the system is so good it will uncover the warts in recorded media such that it will be unlistenable on such a high performance system, and in fact, will sound better (because the warts are concealed) on a lessor system. Here is the news. If the source is trash, it will sound like trash regardless of the system used to reproduce it. It dosent sound worse because one system lets the trash be reproduced more faithfully.

Face it Ralph. You just like the tweak aspect of the hobby. No crime. I kind of enjoy hearing about it for the entertainment aspect.

As LMQ said:
Indeed I think he's hit the nail on the head. Keep the 103 for upstairs use. Find a 105 for your man cave! Speaking of which, I just don't remember, have you ever posted pics of your set up in "Show Us Your Gear" thread or elsewhere?
So just looking around mostly on flea-bay, I notice 93's and 95's for sale as well. looks like they are quite similar to the 103 and 105's, but older models. Some of them are listed at very high prices as well but the addition of those models allows me to expand my search (for a second player) a bit more.
Reading up on the 95 and 105 I was amazed to find that they include separate 2.0 output jacks, both XLR balanced and RCA, fed from their own DAC's. With the 103 I would need a Y adaptor cable to feed the front outputs to my preamplifier and surround decoder. I could even connect the balanced outputs directly to my Gemini Circle Surround decoder, the unbalanced to my stereo preamplifier (very cool).

Alas, by the time it gets to the bottom of the planet and NZ Customs/Government's palms have been well-greased, it ends up being in the thousands. I could get one new here for a couple of grand but I think I'll just stick with the ol' Sony for the time being. I got some steering work on a 40 year old Ford that's got my attention at the moment!
Good morning, there's an Oppo 103 on Trade Me right now in excellent cond, selling from Nelson for $450 start price

So just looking around mostly on flea-bay, I notice 93's and 95's for sale as well. looks like they are quite similar to the 103 and 105's, but older models. Some of them are listed at very high prices as well but the addition of those models allows me to expand my search (for a second player) a bit more.
Reading up on the 95 and 105 I was amazed to find that they include separate 2.0 output jacks, both XLR balanced and RCA, fed from their own DAC's. With the 103 I would need a Y adaptor cable to feed the front outputs to my preamplifier and surround decoder. I could even connect the balanced outputs directly to my Gemini Circle Surround decoder, the unbalanced to my stereo preamplifier (very cool).
Yeah I was pretty impressed at the effort put into high quality analog on the 105's. Whether I could tell the difference between a 103 or 105 analog output is good question but I had confidence that the 105 was the highest quality I could afford. The 95's & 205's also have excellent analog engineering for their generation. The 205's were just coming out when I bought my refurb 105. I was not tempted to go for the 205 as I have no plans for 4k. My projector is a very satisfactory 1080P model I would have to change that as well if I got a 205. And the newer 203/205 doesn't have the streaming services bult in which is pretty essential if you have a projector, not smart TV, that also doesn't have that. So overall the Oppo 105 is really the sweet spot for me, very happy with it.

I use the 2 x HDMI outs on my 103 and let my receiver do the decoding. At this point in time with low physical disc usage, the 103 handles multiple hard drives with hundreds of folders and various partitions with no issues at all. Other players I have done this with, including my Sony X800 have limits as to the numbers of partitions and folders and drives. Currently I have 6 x 4TB = 24TB drives attached to it. I have run into no constraints with this on the 103. And I know others think this is a non-elegant solution and would like cross-referencing and little icons on all the folders/files (ie a nice GUI) but I have no issue with that. Keeping track of where everything is keeps my 67 year old brain active.

I should also note that at one point I had 8 x 4TB = 32TB's of drive attached to it also with no issue.

And since I posted this the transport in the 103 no longer works. I can't be bothered sending it for repair or opening it myself so now the X800 will be my disc player. The Oppo is only doing the server thing now. I'm quite okay with that.

I now have the streaming set up but can only see the folders on the C drive, I have several other drives that hold the bulk of the music files and they are what I want to share. File sharing seamed much easier with Windows 7 than with Windows 10. I've tried setting permission for the drive and folders to be shared but don't see them in the Oppo.
I have all my drives directly attached to the 103 via the USB ports on it.

And since I posted this the transport in the 103 no longer works. I can't be bothered sending it for repair or opening it myself so now the X800 will be my disc player. The Oppo is only doing the server thing now. I'm quite okay with that.
This is what I am expecting (from my 105D) at some point, the disc spinner will just refuse to work. And I'll keep it going for the server and good surround decoding. I'm using the analog outs to an AVR and am happy with the sq. My Denon beast of AVR was $40 on Craig's List last year. I'm sticking with this gear for a while.

Back