George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" (5.1 & Dolby Atmos remixes coming soon!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@timbre4 I can NOT switch audio streams with the audio button on my 103. But I CAN cursor over to which ever stream I want, with the album playing and pick any other. No lockup.
When I try selecting a different stream with the audio button, I get "operation blocked by disc".

@timbre4 I can NOT switch audio streams with the audio button on my 103. But I CAN cursor over to which ever stream I want, with the album playing and pick any other. No lockup.
When I try selecting a different stream with the audio button, I get "operation blocked by disc".

Good. No audio button usage. Probably an OPPO service for the BDP-103 is in my future to put this right. The BDP-93 in the quad system is an OPPO refurb from 2020 and its like a new beast. It played ATMP with no hesitation. Got the replacement remote for $13 Shipped.

I would assume you're not getting a different mix or master. I also don't think you'd be one to exaggerate, so if you're really hearing a "muted mess" I think something must be going wrong, somewhere in the signal chain from server to your ears.
I can tell you that Tidal made a mess of Tiny Music, for me. 2 muffled tracks, then a clear, loud one, a few muffled tracks, a loud one, and so forth.
Switching over to Apple it just sounds awesome, on my system. Better than I've ever heard on CD or the radio and nice and surroundy.
Btw, two other people in and passing through my household both gave similar feedback. Tidal sounds muffled and Apple sounds fine. That's still anecdotal, but it ain't just me!

Why you're hearing the album muffled, even on Apple, I just don't know. First guess is bandwidth? Maybe the various services have a way of throttling, lowering quality, if a certain bandwidth isn't detected?
We've learned from immersiveaudioalbum.com (IAA) downloads that there are umpteen ways to package Atmos, with varying degrees of compression.

I will be comparing ATMP from my BD to the version on Apple. I can tell you there, that I hear no substantial difference between, say, AFtP on BD and (at the time) on Tidal. Minor differences in definition, but the streaming Atmos was honestly enjoyable for me. Not a muffled mess.

Are there Atmos tracks on Apple that sound fine to you?
Cheers mate

This is odd as heck about how different our experiences are on the same thing. (I have not tried Tidal yet tho.)

"First guess is bandwidth?"

Yes that would be a great guess, but it is the same tracks consistently, over and over, and a split-second change to another track all is fine.

"Are there Atmos tracks on Apple that sounds fine to you?"

Yes, there are many,IE . There is a Sheryl crow that is stellar as heck. Kraftwerk is stellar, most of Harrisons "All things must pass" is quite good.cept for the last 4 tracks

IE: Johnnies birthday has absolutely NO sound, the other 3 are extremely messed, distant, and muffled. Plug me in has almost zero sound.

Reboots, unplug box/eqpt and reboot, still the same issues on the same tracks over and over.

i am a wee baffled here.

Cheers mate

This is odd as heck about how different our experiences are on the same thing. (I have not tried Tidal yet tho.)

"First guess is bandwidth?"

Yes that would be a great guess, but it is the same tracks consistently, over and over, and a split-second change to another track all is fine.

"Are there Atmos tracks on Apple that sounds fine to you?"

Yes, there are many,IE . There is a Sheryl crow that is stellar as heck. Kraftwerk is stellar, most of Harrisons "All things must pass" is quite good.cept for the last 4 tracks

IE: Johnnies birthday has absolutely NO sound, the other 3 are extremely messed, distant, and muffled. Plug me in has almost zero sound.

Reboots, unplug box/eqpt and reboot, still the same issues on the same tracks over and over.

i am a wee baffled here.
the final Apple Jam tracks (out of the blue to Thanks for Pepperoni are 2 channel only, the rears are just ambient. they were recorded only on 2 tracks.

I don't think 7.1 will give you anything significantly different from 5.1 in this disc. As I said above, I've not noticed any rear activity apart from the most minimal reverb. Turning the rears up +12dB leaves them still almost imperceptible.

I find this surprising, because the Atmos 7.1 tracks I've seen previously have made clear use of all 7 speakers. This is like playing a 5.1 track with the surround rears disabled instead of using PLIIx.

I'm going to somewhat retract this. It's not as clear-cut as that. I think it's true that the rears have little activity, and are mainly reverb most of the time, but they do get some use, and there are certainly steering choices between sides and rears. Piano and synths in My Sweet Lord for example are directed to the rears (but low in the mix - prominent things tend not to go to the rears).

But it's notable that the mix very much seems to favour "Ls+Rs" being a stereo pair, and they get far more of the main mix, rather than spreading the surround content more equally across "Ls+Lrs+Rrs+Rs" as is more common.

Same thing I experienced. Extremely hard to see what menu item you have highlighted!
I find that ALL of the Beatle related Blu-Rays are not only hard to navigate, but when they are loaded, automatically start in the Stereo mode. Then you fumble with the controls to get back to the menu and try to figure out how to get to the audio option that you want. The ATMP menu selector is like a color blind test if you ask me... My 2¢

Yes that was previously posted…not sure if it was a joke or not….but with the reviews being so good about the BR how could they get the LP’s so wrong…just do one for the BR, CD & LP’s…shouldn’t be that difficult or time consuming
Good grief, no. I sure hope the vinyl (which I haven’t gotten yet) doesn’t have the same unneeded peak limited mastering as on the CDs & BD stereo versions. At least give people one good option for the new stereo mix.

Thank my sweet lord they took a very different “do no harm” mastering (and mix) approach for the Atmos mix.

Here is a POSITIVE REVIEW of both the LP’s & SDE

So I’m starting to think that review by Bobby Whitlock who was in GH’s band for the album is POLITICALLY motivated because he was hoping to be more involved with the 50th Anniversary Ed and some of his previous YouTube Videos were taken down

PS: Seems like his latest review is also now taken down

Last edited:
FedEx says that my set was delivered to my front porch this afternoon. Well, nothing came and I was home all afternoon with the front door open. My neighbors don't have it. One of them says that they sometimes get delivery notifications from FedEx but the package doesn't actually arrive until the next day. I have notified FedEx. Anyone else ever have an issue like this with FedEx?

@marcb , perhaps this is 'Beatles Revenge' for saying that I didn't care for the original stereo mixes of SPLHCB and TWA. :sneaky:

FedEx says that my set was delivered to my front porch this afternoon. Well, nothing came and I was home all afternoon with the front door open. My neighbors don't have it. One of them says that they sometimes get delivery notifications from FedEx but the package doesn't actually arrive until the next day. I have notified FedEx. Anyone else ever have an issue like this with FedEx?

@marcb , perhaps this is 'Beatles Revenge' for saying that I didn't care for the original stereo mixes of SPLHCB and TWA. :sneaky:

See the source image

Or, Maybe the dog CHEWED IT!

See the source image

So I’m starting to think that review by Bobby Whitlock who was in GH’s band for the album is POLITICALLY motivated because he was hoping to be more involved with the 50th Anniversary Ed and some of his previous YouTube Videos were taken down

PS: Seems like his latest review is also now taken down
I found his very severe criticisms of how the vinyl sounded rather bizarre for two reasons: the fact that he's 73, and that he's played in loud bands most of his life (and was still touring in 2015). Shirley, his hearing now is severely degraded and his evaluation must be taken with a grain of salt.

I found his very severe criticisms of how the vinyl sounded rather bizarre for two reasons: the fact that he's 73, and that he's played in loud bands most of his life (and was still touring in 2015). Shirley, his hearing now is severely degraded and his evaluation must be taken with a grain of salt.
Even though you can compare several releases.
One will be different than the other.
I think he is traditional and stays with the original is the best for him.

if Bobby W. took down that 'Joke' video ...GOOD! I thought it was mean and ungrateful given they sent him files and then the full on vinyl. Had that happened to me, even if I didn't like it, I'd just say 'it's not for me' or something like that and move on. While there was more bass it did not sound radically different except for George being more up front, and if you have a Bass control knob, turn it down and it sounds remarkably like the original.

Back