The Official QQ NFL Tailgate Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being a fan of the pathetic Jets (They fooled me badly by winning Super Bowl III the first year I started watching them), I got tired of watching Brady and the Patriots always taking the division title. Fortunately, I also route for the G-Men if the Jets aren't in it, and they were one of the few teams to foil the Pats in Super Bowls.

However, I've always pulled for Brady in his later years. Why? Because he's bloody OLD, that's why!

Speaking of retiring, the term GOAT is a misnomer & should be retired effective immediately. It implies that never, ever will the goals exceed those achieved by someone else. But go back a few gens to Namath, Montana , & even the Chiefs Len Dawson. If the term GOAT was in use back then it would probably be applied to them. And what has happened since those days?

I'm gonna paraphrase Bart Simpson & say, "The greatest of all time--- so far."

Doesn't it seem strange that our generation has been blessed to witness the careers of Barry Bonds (who got caught) Brady, Jordan, and Gretzky? Dare I say that the rules of these sports morphed along the way to enable these careers? NHL: If you slammed into Gordy Howe, he'd turn around and bust your jaw. If you laid a hand on Gretzky, you got a free 2 minute rest...in the penalty box. NFL: If someone did to Brady's jaw what Ben Davidson did to Joe Namath's, he'd end up coaching a Pop Warner team the next weekend.

Doesn't it seem strange that our generation has been blessed to witness the careers of Barry Bonds (who got caught) Brady, Jordan, and Gretzky? Dare I say that the rules of these sports morphed along the way to enable these careers? NHL: If you slammed into Gordy Howe, he'd turn around and bust your jaw. If you laid a hand on Gretzky, you got a free 2 minute rest...in the penalty box. NFL: If someone did to Brady's jaw what Ben Davidson did to Joe Namath's, he'd end up coaching a Pop Warner team the next weekend.
Exactly the way I feel. 100% correct.
I'd say Brady is the leading candidate for GOAT, but there are several others for whom a good argument could be made when their careers are put in context of the era in which they played. Likewise, if you put Brady's career in context you can see several reasons why Brady (and a lot of other QBs of late) was really able to run up the stats (in addition to being an awesome talent).

here is another GOAT to consider -
Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, "Spare Tire" Dixon

My last comment about Brady: I watched the Bucs-Jets game this year. The Jets were up 24-10 with under six minutes to go in the third quarter. I was really enjoying what the Jets were doing to Brady and the Bucs to that point, but I knew it was just a matter of time before:

1. Brady started making plays.
2. Jet players, having had their way to this point, would suddenly become intimidated by the GOAT.
3. Intimidated Jet coaches would choke and make logic defying decisions, like calling a quarterback sneak on 4th and 2.

Of course, the Bucs went on to score 18 unanswered points with Brady throwing a 30+ yard TD pass with 15 seconds left in the game. All this in spite of Antoinio Brown's late-3rd quarter striptease and dance in the end zone as he exited the building.

Brady owned the Jets. Only Rex found a way to beat him in the playoffs...once. Now the Jets can finally move on to new ownership: Josh Allen. :eek:

My last comment about Brady: I watched the Bucs-Jets game this year. The Jets were up 24-10 with under six minutes to go in the third quarter. I was really enjoying what the Jets were doing to Brady and the Bucs to that point, but I knew it was just a matter of time before:

1. Brady started making plays.
2. Jet players, having had their way to this point, would suddenly become intimidated by the GOAT.
3. Intimidated Jet coaches would choke and make logic defying decisions, like calling a quarterback sneak on 4th and 2.

Of course, the Bucs went on to score 18 unanswered points with Brady throwing a 30+ yard TD pass with 15 seconds left in the game. All this in spite of Antoinio Brown's late-3rd quarter striptease and dance in the end zone as he exited the building.

Brady owned the Jets. Only Rex found a way to beat him in the playoffs...once. Now the Jets can finally move on to new ownership: Josh Allen. :eek:
As a fellow AFC east resident, for what its worth, Brady owned the Bills as well for over a decade. He isnt going to be missed by me, but you have to hand it to him, he was/is the best.

Rex couldn't conjure up that magic when he was coaching here.

The Antonio Brown striptease was the most watched highlight from that game. Good riddance to him too.

So have you heard about the class action lawsuit thats out there to get the Giants and Jets to change their names because neither actually plays in NY??? Really??? Is this where we've come to?

So have you heard about the class action lawsuit thats out there to get the Giants and Jets to change their names because neither actually plays in NY??? Really??? Is this where we've come to?

What a waste of legal / court resources. The only class action suits against those teams should be for subjecting the fan bases to extended agony resulting from lousy management. :ROFLMAO:

I still refer to the Dodgers as "Brooklyn" from time to time. And the Raiders will always be "Oakland" to me. I associate those names with the teams no matter where they may play.

I wonder how Lions fans will feel if Stafford wins the Super Bowl. @cbmmm3 ?

What a waste of legal / court resources. The only class action suits against those teams should be for subjecting the fan bases to extended agony resulting from lousy management. :ROFLMAO:

I still refer to the Dodgers as "Brooklyn" from time to time. And the Raiders will always be "Oakland" to me. I associate those names with the teams no matter where they may play.

I wonder how Lions fans will feel if Stafford wins the Super Bowl. @cbmmm3 ?

Us Lions fans are living our fantasy of winning a Superbowl vicariously through Matthew Stafford. He was adored and respected in Detroit. I cant say we really trained him in how to win. But we sure did train him on how to persevere and overcome. The Rams actually have two home cites cheering for them...LA and Detroit.

Speaking of retiring, the term GOAT is a misnomer & should be retired effective immediately. It implies that never, ever will the goals exceed those achieved by someone else. But go back a few gens to Namath, Montana , & even the Chiefs Len Dawson. If the term GOAT was in use back then it would probably be applied to them. And what has happened since those days?

I'm gonna paraphrase Bart Simpson & say, "The greatest of all time--- so far."
I agree! Calling someone the GOAT is relative. How do you compare era's?
With rule changes, etc., it almost becomes meaningless. It's such a different game than yrs. ago..
So who was the original GOAT? ..1st time I ever heard the term was for Jerry Rice.
But some people think that wr Don Hudson who played for Green Bay in the 1940s was among the greatest ever. (..back then there was no term GOAT in sports, a GOAT was an animal that grazed & ate grass☺️).
There were some years Hudson had more catches than whole teams had. I think his best year was '42 when he had like 74 catches..
But that's hardly worth mentioning in today's NFL!
One other thing, players of yesteryear didn't seem to get hurt as much as today's players.
What's the motto..... 'Availability is the greatest ability'....
It's all relative...

Last edited:
I was the GOAT at least one time: Bowling league…I needed to make an easy spare for my team to win the game, but that darn gutter got in the way! In retrospect, is was worth the “choke” because it aggravated my annoying coworker and teammate immensely. :ROFLMAO::p:devilish:

I was the GOAT at least one time: Bowling league…I needed to make an easy spare for my team to win the game, but that darn gutter got in the way! In retrospect, is was worth the “choke” because it aggravated my annoying coworker and teammate immensely. :ROFLMAO::p:devilish:
You should lay off the White Russians as too many disrupt the Lane/Gutter continuum.

Thoughts on last night's Super Bowl?

I thought it was a good, close game; but the refs had too much input into the outcome. First, they blew the call when that Bengals WR grabbed Jalen Ramsey's face mask, spun him around a bit, and scored the long TD. Then that penalty on the Bengals LB (#55) towards the end of the game at the goal line was one of the softest holding calls I've seen. Their calls certainly weren't consistent. Perhaps they have too much discretion, which is trending towards another 'sport'. ⛸⛸⛸🥇🥈🥉

Thoughts on last night's Super Bowl?

I thought it was a good, close game; but the refs had too much input into the outcome. First, they blew the call when that Bengals WR grabbed Jalen Ramsey's face mask, spun him around a bit, and scored the long TD. Then that penalty on the Bengals LB (#55) towards the end of the game at the goal line was one of the softest holding calls I've seen. Their calls certainly weren't consistent. Perhaps they have too much discretion, which is trending towards another 'sport'. ⛸⛸⛸🥇🥈🥉

I did not watch a single second of it. I finally DL'ed Ted Lasso & watched a bunch of the first season. You know, the show about real football:ROFLMAO:

Back