Why is everyone so jazzed about ATMOS?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look like sound control panels.

I bought some other things from a seller on reverb and had a really good experience, these things he also had for sale, but I had no room for them.
Primacoustic Radiator Open Grid Diffuser
SKU #L79601000000000

Still surpised by this known picture about why the Top Speakers are not aimed to his MLP but just pointing downwards.

Yes, I know that speakers could be of wide dispersion. And that would be the Atmos recomendation as to build the studio for Steven Wilson.

Also, if pointing directly to the central position, we would lose quickly height imaging if moving outside the sweet spot, I guess.

Also, this is how most of in-ceiling speakers are mounted. Some with aimable tweeters like mine. So, Steven should test listen how his mix sound for a usual in-ceiling setup?

Just thoughts.
totally with you there...shouldn't the ceiling speakers be angled..just a little bit?

IMHO yes they should. Mine are, and certainly all the Dolby diagrams, etc. (except for up firing speakers) are that way.

Also, I have to take exception with:

‘Why can’t I hear stuff coming from above?’ I said, ‘Because you’re listening on headphones; it’s just not physically possible.’ I think he’d been led to believe that it was. Once we got through that and he had a more realistic expectation, he loved it.”​

[emphasis mine]

Certainly it is possible with well done virtualization (e.g. smyth realiser A16). I guess I can't speak for Apple "spatial audio" as I've never heard it.

It sounds like they are hinting about the problems with Apple Spatial Audio without coming right out and saying "it sounds bad" or at least "it sounds different than the Atmos mix", as has been discussed in other threads here and articles from other pros.

IMHO yes they should. Mine are, and certainly all the Dolby diagrams, etc. (except for up firing speakers) are that way.
The Dolby diagrams specify an angle for placement purposes only, not dispersion angles for the drivers. Dispersion angles aren't addressed at all.

Upfiring speakers are angled (at 15 degrees I think). The angle allows them to reflect at an angle off the ceiling and into the listening area.

That being said, I also think they would be better angled as well.

From a Dolby Site (how to set up your studio for Atmos):

1648524600454.png

https://professional.dolby.com/gaming/how-to-set-up-your-studio-for-dolby-atmos/#gref

". All speakers should be angled toward the mix position where possible. This is in both the horizontal and vertical planes. Where this is not possible, the mix position must be well within the dispersion angle of the speaker. "

The Dolby diagrams specify an angle for placement purposes only, not dispersion angles for the drivers. Dispersion angles aren't addressed at all.
I was wrong about the bolded part. Or at least I should have said, the diagrams don't specify dispersion angles. And I never did see that passage before. It all makes good sense though.

Still surpised by this known picture about why the Top Speakers are not aimed to his MLP but just pointing downwards.

Yes, I know that speakers could be of wide dispersion. And that would be the Atmos recomendation as to build the studio for Steven Wilson.

Also, if pointing directly to the central position, we would lose quickly height imaging if moving outside the sweet spot, I guess.

Also, this is how most of in-ceiling speakers are mounted. Some with aimable tweeters like mine. So, Steven should test listen how his mix sound for a usual in-ceiling setup?

Just thoughts.

Steven's overhead loudspeaker choice is a quad of 2-way Genelec active monitors. These Genelecs are not coaxial loudspeakers like Kef's Uni-Q designs with uniform horizontal and vertical dispersion. The tweeter is offset from the mid-woofer and actually fires out of a waveguide which controls and better matches the tweeter's dispersion to that of the mid-woofer. The pic also suggests that the front and rear pairs of overhead loudspeakers are offset towards the rear of the room vs his MLP at the mix-desk. So as much as Steven "knows Atmos", these are not set up properly for listening at the mix desk.

My active studio monitor based 5.1.4 Atmos surround set-up isn't perfect either. At 5' away from the MLP, my ATC SCM20 ASL Pro surrounds are closer than ideal vs the 9' listening distance to my identical front LCR trio. When I originally built this room 25 years ago, it was intended for two channel listening and sized accordingly. For multi-channel it would ideally have been several feet longer and a few feet wider. However my front and rear Atmos ATC SCM12i Pro overhead pairs are set up pretty much ideally for a single row of seating according to Dolby's Atmos placement recommendations and all loudspeakers are toed/angled in such that their primary acoustic listening axis is directed toward the MLP and adjacent seating.
IMG_0619.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

Last edited:
and all loudspeakers are toed/angled in such that their primary acoustic listening axis is directed toward the MLP and adjacent seating.

I understand from this sentence (and looking at the pictures) that your speakers are pointing something in between the MLP and the "speaker side" adjacent seating. But NOT in the "crossed eye" style some recommend to "enlarge" a little the sweet spot. Am I right?

I understand from this sentence (and looking at the pictures) that your speakers are pointing something in between the MLP and the "speaker side" adjacent seating. But NOT in the "crossed eye" style some recommend to "enlarge" a little the sweet spot. Am I right?
With the ATC monitors in my properly treated room, I don't find that there is any benefit to the exaggerated toe-in trick you describe @AYanguas. I toe-in so that the pair of laser level/pointers I use for final set-up optimization converge a couple feet beyond the central listener's head.

As a (mostly) solo music listener (whether that be stereo or multi-channel), all loudspeaker placement was optimized to provide the absolute best sub/sat integration, imaging, and soundstage at the MLP. On the occasions that I have fellow sound enthusiasts over to listen, I'll be the gracious host and offer them the catbird seat.

When I have the motorized acoustically transparent screen and projector deployed to watch movies, I don't concern myself with the fact that the occupants of the seats to either side of me are not offering as perfect a soundstage and image. Though to be frank my system in that properly treated room sounds pretty great for any seat.
IMG_0295.JPG

Six overhead for Atmos is for 9.1.6. I have my A16 "room" set for that so hear that for Tidal Atmos tracks.

1648573084693.png

The Blue speakers are the overheads.

Back