Beatles Revolver Box Set (Dolby Atmos Mix available for streaming; No Blu-Ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did indeed think about that song, but doesn't it only exist in mono (?) What does "the book" say about it boxhead?
If they could split it up into tracks, that song would make a neat surround sound extravaganza, and a nice memorial to Denis O'Dell.
"The Book" has a bit to say on this track. Credit where it's due, the book is called "The Beatles Recording Reference Manual" by Jerry Hammack. I think there are four volumes but to date I have only volumes 1-3. Luckily volume 3 (1966-1967) covers You Know My Name as recording on this track commenced in May 1967. It didn't conclude until Nov 1969 when it was shortened from 6:08 to 4:19 and mixed to mono and appeared as the B Side to the Let It Be single.

As mentioned elsewhere, it appeared in stereo (for the first time) on Anthology two. That version runs 5:43, so it's pretty much the original running length but for some reason has the ending cut short.

There were 6 separate session used during the recordings, and much of the song was done in parts - see the right side of the chart below. There were also multiple bouncedowns, but listening to the A2 version they clearly still have access to the pre-bouncedown tapes. Here's the chart.

1660094891849.png

"The Book" has a bit to say on this track. Credit where it's due, the book is called "The Beatles Recording Reference Manual" by Jerry Hammack. I think there are four volumes but to date I have only volumes 1-3. Luckily volume 3 (1966-1967) covers You Know My Name as recording on this track commenced in May 1967. It didn't conclude until Nov 1969 when it was shortened from 6:08 to 4:19 and mixed to mono and appeared as the B Side to the Let It Be single.

As mentioned elsewhere, it appeared in stereo (for the first time) on Anthology two. That version runs 5:43, so it's pretty much the original running length but for some reason has the ending cut short.

There were 6 separate session used during the recordings, and much of the song was done in parts - see the right side of the chart below. There were also multiple bouncedowns, but listening to the A2 version they clearly still have access to the pre-bouncedown tapes. Here's the chart.

View attachment 82160
Thanks, boxhead. Wow, that's a lot of work for that novelty song!

According to Business Insider, it actually is The Beatles at 183 million units based on 'total certified album units sold"...whatever that is. I suspect that there are all sorts of ways to measure "sales" especially now with streaming.

[EDIT: The Business Insider article only covers US sales. According to Wikipedia (oh boy), the worldwide Total Certified Units are 290 million with claimed sales of 500 to 600 million. Drake has Total Certified Units of 404 million with claimed sales of 170 million. Why The Beatles' claimed sales are higher than their certified sales yet Drake's are the other way around is beyond me. Doh!]

https://www.businessinsider.com/best-selling-music-artists-of-all-time-2016-9
The only thing for certain is that I seem to be very happy to give them my money whenever a new incarnation of their material appears.
That’s great, but I wasn’t commenting on the “biggest seller” notion.

I was commenting on the notion all of the albums will be in re-printed on a regular basis - again, I wouldn’t make this assumption.

I left out Strawberry and Penny...thinking that they are on Sgt. Pepper's anniversary set in 5.1...but we are talking about a full blown ATMOS treatment so should be included. (So perhaps the album could be called Fizzywiggs' Fab Four Favs. :sneaky: )

Ok sure 👌 I like that name. Insert the ready made "Strawberry Fields Forever " and "Penny Lane".

But lets also include "Blue Jay Way" ....the 3rd track missing ! and fwiw @zapple noticed it, probably E'cause those Chicagoans live closer ta me den doese New Joisyans. 😆😂

Ok sure 👌 I like that name. Insert the ready made "Strawberry Fields Forever " and "Penny Lane".

But lets also include "Blue Jay Way" ....the 3rd track missing ! and fwiw @zapple noticed it, probably E'cause those Chicagoans live closer ta me den doese New Joisyans. 😆😂
OK, I edited the original post. It now includes Strawberry, Penny...and that nice Hayward / Lodge album. :sneaky:

OOOh right ! Hayward/Lodge !!🤣

Thar's the missin' link👍

But I don't want em to steal me thunder.....kinda like........" Fizzy's Fav Fab Four"

"Jay's Jive Jabs O' Jems"...jus don't do it...4 me .🤗

Variety are the source for all the other articles and they’ve had one on one interviews with Giles in the past so it’s as good as announced at this point.

It is funny they think all the albums prior to Peppers were done on two track though.

😃
It won't be the first time a journalist stated incorrect information in an article. Then it gets tagged as a reference in Wikipedia and is claimed to be fact. Our QQ people here wouldn't make a mistake like that.

Just so it's truly a high resolution multichannel remix delivered on a physical medium. It is a travesty that the Atmos mix of Sgt Pepper resides only in the low bandwidth streaming domain.
I like to think that the Beatles are such that they will eventually release the Atmos mix on physical media. I also have faith that they will eventually do an Atmos mix of the White Album too.

Hmmm. Box set. That probably means a good SACD or DVD, along with another disc full of “cutting room floor” material” and a booklet that will require it to be shelved separately from all the other material.

I guess that appeals to some folks. I’d definitely go for a surround mix of tha album, but all the other stuff is a waste, at least to me.

CD1: 2022 Stereo Mix by Giles Martin & Sam Okell
01. Taxman
02. Eleanorr Rigby
03. I'm Only Sleeping
04. Love You To
05. Here, There And Everywhere
06. Yellow Submarine
07. She Said She Said
08. Good Day Sunshine
09. And Your Bird Can Sing
10. For No One
11. Doctor Robert
12. I Want To Tell You
13. Got To Get You Into My Life
14. Tomorrow Never Knows
CD2: Sessions
01. Tomorrow Never Knows (Take 1)
02. Tomorrow Never Knows (Mono Mix RM 11)
03. Got To Get You Into My Life (First Version/ Take 5)
04. Got To Get You Into My Life (2nd Version/ Unnumbered Mix)
05. Got To Get You Into My Life (2nd Version)
06. Love You To (Take 1)
07. Love You To (Unnumbered Rehearsal)
08. Love You To (Take 7)
09. Paperback Writer (Takes 1 & 2/Backing Track)
10. Rain (Take 5)
11. Rain (Take 5/Slowed Down)
12. Doctor Robert (Take 7)
13. And Your Bird Can Sing (First Version/Take 2)
14. And Your Bird Can Sing (First Version/ Take 2/ Giggling)
CD3: Sessions
01. And Your Bird Can Sing (2nd Version/Take 5)
02. Taxman (Take 11)
03. I'm Only Sleeping (Rehearsal Frank Kapelgment)
04. I'm Only Sleeping (Take 2)
05. I'm Only Sleeping (Take 5)
06. I'm Only Sleeping (Mono Mix RM11)
07. Eleanor Rigby (Speech Before Take 2)
08. Eleanor Rigby (Take 2)
09. For No One (Take 10/Backing Track)
10. Yellow Submarine (Songwriting Work Tape/ Part 1)
11. Yellow Submarine (Songwriting Work Tape/ Part 1)
12. Yellow Submarine (Take 4 Before Sound Effects)
13. Yellow Submarine (Highlighted Sound Effects)
14. I Want To Tell You (Speech & Take 4)
15. Here, There And Everywhere (Take 6)
16. She Said She Said (John's Demo)
17. She Said She Said (Take 1/Backing Track)
CD4: 2022 Mono Transfer of original tape
CD5: Bonus EP
01. Paperback Writer (2022 Stereo)
02. Rain (2022 Stereo)
03. Paperback Writer (Mono)
04. Rain (Mono)

No surround. They can keep it.

What a letdown.
reading that the set won’t include a Blu Ray with the Atmos mix and is will be streaming only. For the love of god what the literal hell are we doing here. if true this may be the most dissapointing news of the year.
I didn't see anything in the linked articles where an Atmos (or even a 5.1) remix was being planned for streaming or a physical release. Only some speculation from Giles on how the technology is progressing. Did I miss something?

Wow, I had assumed (rarely a good thing) that it would follow the formula of all the other box sets. This is quite the let down. That new stereo mix would have to be transcending to make it worth buying for that. As for the outtakes and alternate versions, well I think I got my fill of those on the Anthology sets. I can't remember the last time I listened to any of those (although I did watch the entire doc on DVD within the last few year). I guess it depends on the price, which wasn't a factor for me with the other releases that included a surround mix.

Back