Beatles Revolver Box Set (Dolby Atmos Mix available for streaming; No Blu-Ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I signed up for Apple Music tonight just to check out the "Revolver" Atmos mix, and I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong. I have a Samsung Android phone, and in the audio settings, there is a switch for Dolby Atmos which I've turned on. In the Apple Music app, I changed its settings to play Dolby Atmos instead of stereo when available. And when I stream the tracks from "Revolver" I see the words "Dolby Atmos" on the screen under the song title. And yet, it sound no different than stereo to me in my headphones. I've tried two different headphones to see if it would make a difference, and it doesn't. When I switch the Apple Music setting for Atmos from on to off and back again, I hear no difference. Is it just me? I doing something wrong?
Hi @jdmack I have a Samsung Android phone also. For me, I switch the "Dolby Atmos" on in settings, near where Dark Mode and such are. If you hold on "Dolby Atmos" there are movie, music, and voice presets.
In addition, there's the setting in the Apple music app to turn "spatial audio" on. Inside "audio quality" are other settings though I'm not sure they apply.
I hear a difference regardless of the headphones I use. Certainly some mixes will have more of a difference than others. I just listened to some of Revolver to test and mostly I hear a much wider stereo field, more bass, and more volume - not more immersive really exactly. I would say it sounds better, but the difference isn't major.
I'm not saying atmos isn't for headphones, but for me speakers are the only way.

Don’t listen to the Atmos mix of Revolver after listening to a Steven Wilson Atmos mix (I listened to the Atmos mix of The Harmony Codex earlier today). The Revolver Atmos mix will make you wonder if your equipment is decoding properly. That is to say, it’s a non-event. It makes me glad it wasn’t included in the box. It makes me wonder if that’s why they didn’t include it.
Could not disagree more! I feel it is a tremendous Atmos mix. But it of course is a subjective take for all of us!

That has been my guess all along. The mix, using new tech to pull apart the audio, isn’t ready to be put under a microscope.
I totally agree. My theory is that the software is not capturing all the natural overtones of the voices so they sound - not just different - but rather "dead" and a bit out of tune. I hardly recognize John's voice on Now and Then and to me, the Love Me Do, compared to the original, is not near as enjoyable (putting it nicely).

I signed up for Apple Music tonight just to check out the "Revolver" Atmos mix, and I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong. I have a Samsung Android phone, and in the audio settings, there is a switch for Dolby Atmos which I've turned on. In the Apple Music app, I changed its settings to play Dolby Atmos instead of stereo when available. And when I stream the tracks from "Revolver" I see the words "Dolby Atmos" on the screen under the song title. And yet, it sound no different than stereo to me in my headphones. I've tried two different headphones to see if it would make a difference, and it doesn't. When I switch the Apple Music setting for Atmos from on to off and back again, I hear no difference. Is it just me? I doing something wrong?
I know an old thread...
Yes, you can easily be doing something wrong. For example, you must also have Dolby enabled headphones to experience an Atmos mix binaurally (which means more dimensionally with no inter-channel crosstalk). In real time Atmos will feed you a 2-channel, stereo mixdown of Atmos mix to non-Dolby headsets.

Back