Beatles Revolver Box Set (Dolby Atmos Mix available for streaming; No Blu-Ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading the interview I still don't understand why they didn't include the surround mix in the box set or 'at least' a high-resolution audio. I didn't buy the box because this wasn't included. Huge marketing mistake and a disappointment from all surround/Beatles music fans. I have all the other Beatles boxes.

After reading the interview I still don't understand why they didn't include the surround mix in the box set or 'at least' a high-resolution audio. I didn't buy the box because this wasn't included. Huge marketing mistake and a disappointment from all surround/Beatles music fans. I have all the other Beatles boxes.
I wondered the exact same thing. Especially after the author went gaga over the surround mix of Tomorrow Never Knows.

From that article:
“When I do a stereo Beatles mix, like Revolver, it'll be mixed at 24/96. Abbey Road mastering engineer Miles Showell runs the mix at 24/48, so everything is half-speed.”

Huh? 😂
If you halve the sample rate and don't resample, you get half speed playback. Then, if you run the cutting lathe at 16-2/3 rpm, you can master at half speed direct from the digital file. Makes perfect sense.

From that article:
“When I do a stereo Beatles mix, like Revolver, it'll be mixed at 24/96. Abbey Road mastering engineer Miles Showell runs the mix at 24/48, so everything is half-speed.”

Huh? 😂
From what I remember reading the article a few days ago, he is talking about how the vinyl is prepared. Unless you are asking about the 24/48, then I have no idea.

If you halve the sample rate and don't resample, you get half speed playback. Then, if you run the cutting lathe at 16-2/3 rpm, you can master at half speed direct from the digital file. Makes perfect sense.

If you playback at half speed you’re literally halving the samples per second, but you haven’t actually halved the sample rate. You can remove as many samples as you want, it won’t affect the playback speed. Miles would never describe what he does in this manner. I know what Giles meant, I was just poking fun at the way he said it.

If you playback at half speed you’re literally halving the samples per second, but you haven’t actually halved the sample rate.
As far as the DAC is concerned, your 96kHz file is now being sampled 48kHz, even though the number of total samples in the file is the same.

same here. Using De-mix since the recording was not made during the 8, 16 or 24 track era, and lack of 5.1 or Atmos on BluRay was enough for me to pass on it.

I too did not spring for the box set, just the Revolver CD. The new stereo CD played through the Surround Master is a blast. I've heard the Atmos mix several times and most of the tracks are unimpressive compared to upmixing from the new stereo with the SM.

Don’t listen to the Atmos mix of Revolver after listening to a Steven Wilson Atmos mix (I listened to the Atmos mix of The Harmony Codex earlier today). The Revolver Atmos mix will make you wonder if your equipment is decoding properly. That is to say, it’s a non-event. It makes me glad it wasn’t included in the box. It makes me wonder if that’s why they didn’t include it.

Don’t listen to the Atmos mix of Revolver after listening to a Steven Wilson Atmos mix (I listened to the Atmos mix of The Harmony Codex earlier today). The Revolver Atmos mix will make you wonder if your equipment is decoding properly. That is to say, it’s a non-event. It makes me glad it wasn’t included in the box. It makes me wonder if that’s why they didn’t include it.
That has been my guess all along. The mix, using new tech to pull apart the audio, isn’t ready to be put under a microscope.

I’ve listened to Atmos via Apple Music and was not impressed. Almost glad there is no BluRay or I would have shelled out the money.
I signed up for Apple Music tonight just to check out the "Revolver" Atmos mix, and I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong. I have a Samsung Android phone, and in the audio settings, there is a switch for Dolby Atmos which I've turned on. In the Apple Music app, I changed its settings to play Dolby Atmos instead of stereo when available. And when I stream the tracks from "Revolver" I see the words "Dolby Atmos" on the screen under the song title. And yet, it sound no different than stereo to me in my headphones. I've tried two different headphones to see if it would make a difference, and it doesn't. When I switch the Apple Music setting for Atmos from on to off and back again, I hear no difference. Is it just me? I doing something wrong?

Back