Beatles Revolver Box Set (Dolby Atmos Mix available for streaming; No Blu-Ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Revolver is an album I’ve not known that well. Growing up, I had the wonderful Abbey Road and the Essential Beatles comp., and otherwise I was more interested in the solo stuff. So these box sets have been fun to buy, for all the songs I didn’t know and for the surround mixes of them to boot. There are lots of great tunes here, aren’t there? It’s like they demonstrated how to do perfect three minute songs. Everyone a hit really.

While I feel there are only so many times one can hear the nursery rhyme chorus of Yellow Submarine (though OTOH there are lots of surround adventure opportunities in the song!) my only real disappointment is the song Taxman. A good tune with a great beat, yes, but I just can’t get passed the mean-spiritedness of its message – a sentiment more and more pervasive in incredibly wealthy people of today. It rather bugs me every time I hear it.

So, while I still would have very much indeed liked a surround version to have been included in the box set (leaving it out being a mean spirited decision in itself, putting financial gain ahead of consumer satisfaction), if I had to choose one box set not to have the bluray included in, out of all those released so far, it would have been this one.

While I feel there are only so many times one can hear the nursery rhyme chorus of Yellow Submarine (though OTOH there are lots of surround adventure opportunities in the song!) my only real disappointment is the song Taxman. A good tune with a great beat, yes, but I just can’t get passed the mean-spiritedness of its message – a sentiment more and more pervasive in incredibly wealthy people of today. It rather bugs me every time I hear it.
Yes, I'm disappointed with Taxman also, not because of its message, but rather because despite demix technology the Atmos mix is still shitty.

While I’m among those who is deeply irritated that this set doesn’t include the Blu-ray — especially at the arguably extortionate price, I’m also a fan and a pragmatist. Oh, aaaand frugal. So…

Target is having a buy 2 get 1 free sale. Revolver just came back in stock. If, like me, you have a few ~$105 items on your wishlist then this is an opportunity to get the set for in the neighborhood of $70.

Over at The Other Forum™ there are tips for how to get the discount without actually buying three items. YMMV. I’m on mobile and rushing around so I’m afraid I can’t post links but both Target and the Deals sub forum with the active Target thread should be easy enough for folks to find.

I’ve gone back and forth on what “voting my wallet” means with this set. Bean counters can interpret in two opposing ways. Ultimately, I decided that if I can get this at about this price point. I doubt they’ll release a standalone Blu-ray but if so then this discount should ultimately make the total cost palatable (for me).

I do hope this helps some of my fellow fence-sitters.

Tangent: I do have a favor to ask. I can’t find Rain//Paperback Writer in ATMOS on Apple Music. Any chance someone can post the links here? I’m dying to hear them and if I recall correctly they are up there somewhere.

While I’m among those who is deeply irritated that this set doesn’t include the Blu-ray — especially at the arguably extortionate price, I’m also a fan and a pragmatist. Oh, aaaand frugal. So…

Target is having a buy 2 get 1 free sale. Revolver just came back in stock. If, like me, you have a few ~$105 items on your wishlist then this is an opportunity to get the set for in the neighborhood of $70.

Over at The Other Forum™ there are tips for how to get the discount without actually buying three items. YMMV. I’m on mobile and rushing around so I’m afraid I can’t post links but both Target and the Deals sub forum with the active Target thread should be easy enough for folks to find.

I’ve gone back and forth on what “voting my wallet” means with this set. Bean counters can interpret in two opposing ways. Ultimately, I decided that if I can get this at about this price point. I doubt they’ll release a standalone Blu-ray but if so then this discount should ultimately make the total cost palatable (for me).

Tangent: I do have a favor to ask. I can’t find Rain//Paperback Writer in ATMOS on Apple Music. Any chance someone can post the links here? I’m dying to hear them and if I recall correctly they are up there somewhere.
IIRC, on Apple Music the Atmos versions of "Paperback Writer" and "Rain" are simply the first two tracks of Disc 5 of the Revolver SDE.

Last edited:
SDE posted a link to amazon France which had Revolver at 63 Euro. It says the first discount. It was over by the time I saw it.
https://superdeluxeedition.com/deal/this-weeks-box-set-and-reissue-deals-146/It also has the CD edition of Let it Be for 38 Euro way less than I paid.

I had been thinking about whether, I would relent and break down and buy this travesty. (ie. Revolver with no BD) but the price was and is over $100 and that ain't happening. But I was pretty sure they would drop the price and here it goes. I am sure it won't be the last quickie sale on this item.
I certainly am not in a rush this time.

This thread was more than ten pages back and had to be searched for. 🤣 :rolleyes:

Last edited:

I've purchased all the anniversary releases until now, including John's Gimme and GH's All Things Must Pass. I assumed i would buy them all. I assumed wrong, until Revolver is issued with a disc in Surround, it's a NO-Go. Especially with the price tag.

Brand new Giles Martin interview for Stereophile magazine.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/beatles-reanimated-giles-martin-revolver-remix
423-Giles_Martin-600.jpg

Really nice interview, especially this part about mixing choices. It's understandable that his mixing preferences were instruments and vocals up front. But the front-centric mixes on the Atmos version come across as comparatively reticent, especially when followed by more adventurous tracks, thus making for an uncohesive experience.

I find that these front-centric Atmos tracks become much more exciting and more cohesive with the adventurous tracks by lowering the LF, C, and RF speakers by 3dB, which is the same thing that many of us did with the 5.1 of Pepper.

Screenshot 2023-04-06 at 4.23.05 PM.png

Back