WHO’S NEXT/LIFEHOUSE Box set coming in September 2023 (STEVEN WILSON DOLBY ATMOS & 5.1 MIXES CONFIRMED!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I please ask that we refrain from the "I'm not buying this; it's too expensive; I just want the Blu-Ray" comments in this thread?
I am well aware that not everyone can afford a box set as costly as this one.
However this is one of the most important albums of the last 50+ years that so many of us have wanted in surround sound for a very long time, and now it's finally happening.
Not only that but with Steven Wilson remixing this one, it pretty much means this will be the definitive way to hear the album from here on out.
Plus there's 14 additional tracks also remixed in surround sound as well. Even if @PaulatSDE had managed to get an SDE single-disc Blu-Ray released, it would likely only contain the proper album and none of these additional tracks, so it's really like we're getting 2+ albums worth of material in surround sound on this disc.
Also there's no vinyl at all in this set and with the huge amount of CDs included and the amount of content on each disc, it certainly looks like this set was put together by people who really wanted to provide us with the maximum amount of content available. No skimping on content for this set. Compare the price of this set to the more skimpy sets from RUSH and Pink Floyd and you can at least say that this one is more deserving of this high price tag than any of those others.
Finally, a Blu-Ray in a costly box set is better than no Blu-Ray at all (still pissed at the Beatles for the Revolver set...)
So buy it or don't buy it, and if you don't buy it, you can probably stream the Atmos mix on Atmos streaming providers.
Just cool it on all the negative comments, thanks!

:)
I stand by what I say, holding in my hand the 1 Blu-ray + 7 CD boxset from The Pineapple Thief which includes 8½ hours of Atmos and 5.1 mixes done by Bruce Soord, which is as good as Steven Wilson, that I paid a third of the price of the Who's Next boxset. It's also the most expensive boxset I ever bought.

Not exactly...but it has been suggested that a few accessory options could be added...instead of a shirt...perhaps an autographed walking cane...or Metamucil in a fashionable "tin" with the Band logo embossed on it
I'm holding out for authentic used hearing aids with a C.O.A. from Pete and Roger.

Can I please ask that we refrain from the "I'm not buying this; it's too expensive; I just want the Blu-Ray" comments in this thread?
However this is one of the most important albums of the last 50+ years that so many of us have wanted in surround sound for a very long time, and now it's finally happening.
Not only that but with Steven Wilson remixing this one, it pretty much means this will be the definitive way to hear the album from here on out.
Plus there's 14 additional tracks also remixed in surround sound as well. Even if @PaulatSDE had managed to get an SDE single-disc Blu-Ray released, it would likely only contain the proper album and none of these additional tracks, so it's really like we're getting 2+ albums worth of material in surround sound on this disc.
Also there's no vinyl at all in this set and with the huge amount of CDs included and the amount of content on each disc, it certainly looks like this set was put together by people who really wanted to provide us with the maximum amount of content available. No skimping on content for this set. Compare the price of this set to the more skimpy sets from RUSH and Pink Floyd and you can at least say that this one is more deserving of this high price tag than any of those others.
Finally, a Blu-Ray in a costly box set is better than no Blu-Ray at all (still pissed at the Beatles for the Revolver set...)
So buy it or don't buy it, and if you don't buy it, you can probably stream the Atmos mix on Atmos streaming providers.

This issue isn’t not being able to afford this boxset. The issue IMO is how excessive their greed is. I will not comment further as you requested but this box set price gouging set off these negative comments by many of us IMO. Sorry if I sound negative. JMHO

The way to not pay for it yourself is to ask for it for Christmas and that’s what i’ll do.

The issue IMO is how excessive their greed is.
Seems like a bargain compared to the Signals and DSOTM box. Everything is relative and we knew going in it was going to be steep. The Early Years Floyd box is starting to look like the true "deal", even at the original price, and it was discounted a couple times.
If this sells out quick, you can't really blame them. If it doesn't, there will be discounts. A thread full of the same whiney comments accomplish nothing. Steven Wilson in his own words wished for a cheaper solution to get just his mixes. I don't think it needs to be said over and over. It is a given now.

I will buy this set and the blu ray is the highlight for sure...BUT..I'm a guy that still enjoys CD's...but they can't be compressed to death like most of the newer versions of some of these titles ....if you look at the versions on this list it isn't very encouraging
Huh? The dynamic ranges on that list of versions are honestly pretty good. The lowest dynamic range listed there (a dynamic range of 7) is only just at the point where someone ought to raise their eyebrow regarding possible diminished sound quality from mastering compression.

So should this be considered SOP for all future box sets as well?
After all, up until this I've thought the comments in this thread mirror the comments in all similar box sets.
I will abide by whatever rules are put in place here. I just want to understand what exactly is being asked of us.

I'm not sure why people shouldn't voice their frustrations. If they feel like they're getting ripped off, that's not necessarily them saying that the content isn't good, but rather, the price is too high for the level of content. There are a number of people here who have said they would have bought this box set if it were more reasonably priced.

Also, with this being a surround sound forum, what's wrong with people saying they want a standalone blu-ray release? The dichotomy of buying/not buying the box set won't communicate to anyone that much of us want a standalone blu ray release. Short of us going out to message those involving with this reissue, voicing our opinions in this forum would be the best way to communicate that, no?

Last edited:
So should this be considered SOP for all future box sets as well?
After all, up until this I've thought the comments in this thread mirror the comments in all similar box sets.
I will abide by whatever rules are put in place here. I just want to understand what exactly is being asked of us.
Start a new thread?

How very disappointing. This really is greed. No reason not to make the blu ray multi channel available as a stand alone item. Those who want the full box set will probably still buy it. However, most of us are of a certain age, what on earth am I going to do with posters, 4 pin button set and a photo?

I was hesitant about this release for several reasons but at this price it is a forgone conclusion it not's my bag no matter how much I like Who's Next. This has well passed the limits of desire.
After we got all those great releases from Rhino and somebody comes up with this: GREEDY GREEDY GREEDY

Why dont they just include cds and blu ray disc and not all the extra crap just to raise the price up lol. I will pre order it for now on moosey .. too bad its not 100 buck range i could get it half off.

Back