WHO’S NEXT/LIFEHOUSE Box set coming in September 2023 (STEVEN WILSON DOLBY ATMOS & 5.1 MIXES CONFIRMED!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoa ... just read ALL the vitriolic comments on the SDE site regarding this massive box set! Sure, THE WHO'S NEXT with an ATMOS, 5.1 and two Stereo remixes from the original analogue masters is a dream come true by the master himself, Steve Wilson...but really, 10 RBCDs and a 100 page book??????

And will calls for Paul Sinclair to POSSIBLY release a stand alone Pure Audio BD~A ever reach the ears of both Universal and Townsend/Daltrey because in reality, that's ALL most of us really want.

At 6 inches thick, that massive boxset will not only take up a LOT of valuable space but most of us will never play all 10 RBCDs unless we're absolute completists!

BaBa O'Riley ...are you LISTENING? 👩
I will buy this set and the blu ray is the highlight for sure...BUT..I'm a guy that still enjoys CD's...but they can't be compressed to death like most of the newer versions of some of these titles ....if you look at the versions on this list it isn't very encouraging

I'd be MUCH more likely to pay $100 just for the blu-ray than $300+ for the additional crap I don't want or need.

I wonder if the "powers that be" would consider differently if they thought they could sell the blu-ray for that price? $100 bucks for a blu-ray in a regular, unadorned standard case, is one hell of a profit margin per unit.

I'd be MUCH more likely to pay $100 just for the blu-ray than $300+ for the additional crap I don't want or need.

I wonder if the "powers that be" would consider differently if they thought they could sell the blu-ray for that price? $100 bucks for a blu-ray in a regular, unadorned standard case, is one hell of a profit margin per unit.
Bill
you are setting the bar too high !!

50 dollars is what I say which is STILL a huge profit margin for the label

Probably very few people on this forum. But there will be a market out there for people of a certain age, who can afford this. In contrast to the Dark Side Of The Moon Atmos box, this is a completely novel surround mix and presentation of an album, that many consider to be the greatest rock album ever made.
I am of that certain age and I can afford it but not that long ago we would get the surround mix on blu ray for around $20. These $100 - $200 - $300 dollar boxes loaded with filler is ridiculous. Come next yr., will people on this forum think $400 - $500 is reasonable because it’s a classic album. This is pure price gouging and as I previously said, I believe this will make people think more about streaming Dolby Atmos music mixes. I refuse to be ripped off JMHO

Bill
you are setting the bar too high !!

50 dollars is what I say which is STILL a huge profit margin for the label
Depending on the amount of pre~orders and actual sales at time of release, I really think UMG/the WHO camp will determine whether an eventual stand alone BD~A is in the cards. Sales~wise, it would be foolish to advertise an eventual stand alone BD~A, but that doesn't mean it will be ruled out.

Unless you HAVE to be the first on the block to own the massive box set, my advice would be to wait.

Whatever goes UP will eventually come DOWN!

Heck, we've waited over 50 years for WHO'S NEXT to be released in surround .... what are a few more months?

Ill wait till it comes up on Amazon. Then I will order with the 'low price guarantee' . Ill predict it will be about 229 at some point prior to ship ( which is still A LOT of money ! )
You aren't going to be dipping into your Super bowl ticket funds, are you?😯
At this price, I wouldn't call this a bargain, the best I ever had🎵

Last edited:
Screenshot_20230718-135131_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230718-135144_Chrome.jpg

Can I please ask that we refrain from the "I'm not buying this; it's too expensive; I just want the Blu-Ray" comments in this thread?
I am well aware that not everyone can afford a box set as costly as this one.
However this is one of the most important albums of the last 50+ years that so many of us have wanted in surround sound for a very long time, and now it's finally happening.
Not only that but with Steven Wilson remixing this one, it pretty much means this will be the definitive way to hear the album from here on out.
Plus there's 14 additional tracks also remixed in surround sound as well. Even if @PaulatSDE had managed to get an SDE single-disc Blu-Ray released, it would likely only contain the proper album and none of these additional tracks, so it's really like we're getting 2+ albums worth of material in surround sound on this disc.
Also there's no vinyl at all in this set and with the huge amount of CDs included and the amount of content on each disc, it certainly looks like this set was put together by people who really wanted to provide us with the maximum amount of content available. No skimping on content for this set. Compare the price of this set to the more skimpy sets from RUSH and Pink Floyd and you can at least say that this one is more deserving of this high price tag than any of those others.
Finally, a Blu-Ray in a costly box set is better than no Blu-Ray at all (still pissed at the Beatles for the Revolver set...)
So buy it or don't buy it, and if you don't buy it, you can probably stream the Atmos mix on Atmos streaming providers.
Just cool it on all the negative comments, thanks!

:)

New cover photo on the band's Facebook page.

View attachment 93949

Who wants to be the one to tell them that the 50th anniversary was two years ago? 🤪

Consider it a delayed post Pandemic celebration 🎉 🍾💦

This is "THE BIG ONE", a once in a generational release folks, like DSOTM and Abbey Road, and we are here to enjoy it!

*Don't pee your panties (or boxers), because the beer's a little pricey!
:51QQ

Back