4 more Quadio titles coming in May 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roberta Flack - Killing Me Softly
MJQ - The Last Concert
Jackson Browne - Late For The Sky

of course other things as well, but you know something, the last three bundles of four are going to be hard to top or match. If they are not going to issue one of the previously unreleased quad masters, then a real gem of a surprise is going to be the ticket here. The bar has been set high. So something again we didn’t expect like the War and Starship were unexpected surprises.

Could they go for a nice mellow bunch of four for those not about to rock?

Somehow I’m not expecting Hot Tuna.

Could we get the other Randy Newman, or Jefferson Starship, or Gordon Lightfoot? And Seals and Crofts added as the surprise. Those would seem too safe, and more adventurous selections might be a better option.

I’m am thinking one of the MJQ albums might be the jazz pick?

Roberta Flack is a classy album. Never heard it in quad so I don’t know how essential it is in four chans?

Maybe Jackson Brown has finally approved his album to be mastered for Quadio. I was told that he must be involved in any remastering of his catalogue. And that this was the potential speed bump on that album coming out from quad mix.

What do you think?
In September of 2023, Jackson Browne's first album aka "Saturate Before Using" was newly remastered and released in "red book" CD and 180 gram lp formats. I bought the CD as was very impressed with it sonically and packaging wise. If the above thread is correct re. Jackson's involvement in his catalog being "reissued", etc. then he also has to approve of the MQA version of "Late For the Sky" Japanese SHM-CD that was released last year as well. I have that now out of print title and can vouch for its sonic quality (it's very good indeed!). Let's hope that Jackson has heard some of these QUADIO'S himself and wants to get his quad version of his seminal release heard and enjoyed once again after 50 years. Fingers crossed my surround amigos!

Full disclosure, I wasn't familiar with the War album (shame on me). I'm listening to 'Four Conerned Room' right now in Quadio. Just WOW, WOW, WOW. Thank you Rhino, fresh discoveries at the age of 56 (57 tomorrow!). This is one of those tracks that cries an 'end of the evening' number. A bit like 'The End'. Fabulous!

Ride the rainbow, rock the sky!

stormbringer.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: post #1230:
Looks like no Chicago Quadios,
no Doobie Brothers Quadios and
no J. Geils - Bloodshot Quadio
in the 2024-05 releases.

Kirk Bayne

Full disclosure, I wasn't familiar with the War album (shame on me). I'm listening to 'Four Conerned Room' right now in Quadio. Just WOW, WOW, WOW. Thank you Rhino, fresh discoveries at the age of 56 (57 tomorrow!). This is one of those tracks that cries an 'end of the evening' number. A bit like 'The End'. Fabulous!
Better late than never...you have now been enlightened!:) I'm right with you regarding the cut Four Cornered Room - that is an awesome 70's retro vibe song that's so cool. I suspect maybe "a few" bowls/joints have been smoked in the past while listening to that especially. There's no need to apologize though - I'm sure there's much good music that originates "across the pond" that we Americans have never heard. That said, I do try to expose myself to music from other countries/cultures (aka worldbeat, afrobeat, etc.) Discovering new music (which ironically can be old music) is a real passion for me, and I know many others here.

Agreed, as music aficionados we have much to be thankful for as Rhino re-releases (or releases for the first time as the case may be at some point), these wonderful multi-channel mixes. Channeling the 70's...right on, Rhino!

Last edited:
I was and still am a fan of The Souther Hillman Furay Band.
I would definitely be all over the quad blu-ray releases of their two albums.
I loved the song “Safe at Home” the first time I heard it, and still think it sounds great. I’ve not heard it in quad yet.

Last edited:
I just heard from Rhino saying they are shipping a replacement disc to me, so my skipping videos were enough evidence for them.

I don't mean to sidetrack this thread with an extended discussion of my defective disc, but thought it might be useful to others should they get a Quadio that skips. The gist is: report it to Rhino through the Contact Me link on their website, and they will respond.
Received my Svengali replacement copy yesterday. It still won't rip (using MakeMKV on a Mac): read errors. But I played it through on my Oppo, in both quad and stereo, and heard no skipping. I've never had read errors ripping any other Blu-ray title, using the same hardware and software. Oh well, I really only wanted to rip it to put the stereo mix on my phone, for listening in the car and walking with headphones, and I can always stream that instead.

I had never heard this album before the Quadio, and I was pleasantly surprised with the highly adventurous jazz it contains (had associated Gil Evans with more mainstream jazz or fusion, after hearing his Hendrix album mixed in Atmos on Apple Music), and the impressive fidelity and performances for a live recording. The quad mix takes it to the next level, highly discreet yet coherent, like the best classic quads are. I anticipate this getting a lot more airtime than the other discs in this bundle, except maybe for Good Old Boys, which isn't a showcase mix, but the songs carry the day.

Rhino is aware and is properly harassing Gnarlywood about it and shipping containers.
Is this issue already resolved with Gnarlywood? Additionally, they have overvalued the items they sent. For example, for those who ordered a bundle of 4 sets, they have indicated a value of $24.99 per Blu-ray, while the actual price for one disc is $20.00. The value-added tax is paid based on the declared value. (Plus a separate handling fee for each shipment)

Someone mentioned having issues ripping one of the discs from the latest batch. I’m having trouble ripping Sundown. MakeMKV will recognize it (takes a long time though), but will freeze up when trying to open the files. Anyone had issues ripping the October 2023 batch? The other 3 ripped flawlessly.

I initially had some issues as two of the bundle couldnt be read by DVDFab13. I tried them again using the other bluray drive and I ripped them flawlessly as ISOs. The curious thing is that one couldnt be read by one drive and the other one by the other, so I exchange the discs in the drives and no problem.

Someone mentioned having issues ripping one of the discs from the latest batch. I’m having trouble ripping Sundown. MakeMKV will recognize it (takes a long time though), but will freeze up when trying to open the files. Anyone had issues ripping the October 2023 batch? The other 3 ripped flawlessly.
No issues on any of them for me.

I had a LOT :mad: of trouble ripping my Quadio disc of America - Holiday. Using Make MKV / Audio Muxer, ripping the stereo layer was no issue.

And at first I thought my 4.0 rip was fine, as it played on my PC, bit on my Oppo it had a clicking sound. I thought perhaps it had some new copy protection not used on other Quadio discs, which mu Oppo didn't like. I must have tried re-ripping it a dozen times using different settings and trying to use JRiver etc. All to no avail.

I was about to make a post here to ask if anyone had successfully ripped it and if so and and how they did it.

I eventually tried VideoSolo BD-DVD Ripper. It worked but it could only rip the audio into one very large 4.0 file. I then had to use a CUE file from a Redbook CD version of the album, and then edit this file by listening to the file on my PC for the change in track as the timing indexes were a bit different.

I was able to rip my my Quadio of the Spinners first go.

• Wow
Reactions: GOS
As a rule, all content on Quadio Blu-rays—both quad and stereo—is freshly mastered by Craig Anderson.
I've got the quadio release of The World is a Ghetto. The booklet lists Craig Anderson as the mastering engineer for both stereo and quad mixes.
I've compared the stereo with the 1992 CD (also the version available on streaming services, alongside the 40th anniversary edition). The 1992 remaster and this new remaster are very close when level matched and resampled to 16/44.1. Minor EQ differences, but overall a similar presentation. Good transfer, good EQ, no compression or glitches. I'm very happy with this stereo remaster, but I can't say it makes a difference from the 1992 CD. The Gold CD sounds slightly better, but these differences are so minor to me that I wouldn't bother.
I'll listen to the quad in the coming days.

I've got the quadio release of The World is a Ghetto. The booklet lists Craig Anderson as the mastering engineer for both stereo and quad mixes.
I've compared the stereo with the 1992 CD (also the version available on streaming services, alongside the 40th anniversary edition). The 1992 remaster and this new remaster are very close when level matched and resampled to 16/44.1. Minor EQ differences, but overall a similar presentation. Good transfer, good EQ, no compression or glitches. I'm very happy with this stereo remaster, but I can't say it makes a difference from the 1992 CD. The Gold CD sounds slightly better, but these differences are so minor to me that I wouldn't bother.
I'll listen to the quad in the coming days.
What would you not bother with? You would stick with the Quadio because it's just as great?

Back