4 new Sondheim Atmos & 360

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry if my form is not correct, I listened to Sweeney Todd last night via headphone (wife asleep unfortunately) but it was the atmos mix and it was definitely an interesting listen. Each one also has some bonus material. For the record I listened on Tidal. I do think it's interesting that of these Company was the only one recorded in Quad or surround.

Sorry if my form is not correct, I listened to Sweeney Todd last night via headphone (wife asleep unfortunately) but it was the atmos mix and it was definitely an interesting listen. Each one also has some bonus material. For the record I listened on Tidal. I do think it's interesting that of these Company was the only one recorded in Quad or surround.
Into the woods is an original quad also. Dutton Vocalion released it on sacd along with company a few years ago.

Do you have a link for Into the Woods? I can't find it on the Dutton Vocalion site or discogs.
Clem, while COMPANY was released by D~V, unfortunately INTO THE WOODS was NOT!

Company - a musical comedy - Original Cast Recording

Thanks, Ralph! I LOVE Company and was really jonesing to hear Into the Woods . . . and Sweeney Todd. I may have to start streaming and get that Atmos thing about which people keep raving!
I did 'behold' the original cast of Sweeny Todd on the Great White Way with a superb Angela Lansbury and Len Cariou and have been waiting for YEARS for it to have a proper Surround release.

Agree ... the D~V QUAD SACD of Company is BREATHTAKING...as is Chorus Line!

I did 'behold' the original cast of Sweeny Todd on the Great White Way with a superb Angela Lansbury and Len Cariou and have been waiting for YEARS for it to have a proper Surround release.

Agree ... the D~V QUAD SACD of Company is BREATHTAKING...as is Chorus Line!
wOw! My daughter is also a HUGE Angela Lansbury fan! She adores the Original Cast Recording of Sweeney Todd (and the Original Broadway Cast recording of Mame).

wOw! My daughter is also a HUGE Angela Lansbury fan! She adores the Original Cast Recording of Sweeney Todd (and the Original Broadway Cast recording of Mame).
Since the Original Cast Recording of Sweeny Todd was released in 1979, doubtful it ever had a QUADRAPHONIC remix. Wonder if 'magician' Michael J. Dutton could access the original master analogue tapes and work his MAGIC?

Last edited:
Have to say these sound fantastic... I'm only half way through listening, via the 360RA versions. Assassins and Into The Woods so far. They are very cleverly mixed, with loads of stuff in the height channels. They actually put the occasional narration up there, it's quite a clever effect. I see Ronald Prent was mentioned as a mixing engineer - so presuming he might have had control of the wheel with regards to the surround mix? It really is rather good! :)

Back