Beatles GET BACK Directors Cut coming soon.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rooftop concert coming in IMAX

FIWDrycWQAQ0R4e.jpeg

I suspect a big reason why Yoko's "annoying suggestions" didn't make it to the final cut is because Yoko (and Olivia Harrison) were part of the group who approved what clips were used. "I think you should cut out the part were I suggested the Beatles have a concert where they just stand on stage, saying nothing while the sound of rain plays for 8 hours...."

I don't mean to pick on @fetchmybeer here. (In fact I'm sympathetic to pretty much everything he says in the second paragraph of the post above.) But there's been a whole spate of critical comments about Yoko lately that got me thinking.

I know it's not the issue here, but I always found the "Yoko broke up the Beatles" idea dumb, not to mention misogynist. And while I was never a fan of her work, especially, a retrospective at MOMA a few years ago gave me a genuine appreciation for its significance that I'd never had before. Just the same: watching The Beatles: Get Back, I think I had the same reaction as everybody: why the hell is she there? Her constant presence came off as strange, and distracting, and inappropriate, and ickily codependent. But cultural critic Amanda Hess made me question that reaction and gave me a different perspective; starting in the same place as me, more or less, she wound up in a much different one. (A sample: “The documentary’s shaggy run-time reveals Ono’s provocation in all its intensity. It’s as if she is staging a marathon performance piece, and in a way, she is.” She also has a much different interpretation of Heather Eastman's mimicry.)

If you're not a subscriber and you've already read several NYT articles for free this month, then you won't be able to get past the paywall. But if you can, then I think it's a brilliant piece, worth reading all the way through.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/08/arts/music/yoko-ono-beatles-get-back.html
(In fact it's a good companion piece to Ann Powers's riff on Get Back at NPR Music, "The Fellowship of the Rockers." And for those of a certain disposition who see the subheader and might be tempted to dismiss the essay as PC SJW posturing, I'd just plead: read the whole piece. If you enjoy long-form journalism, anyway.)
https://www.npr.org/2021/12/21/1066022789/beatles-get-back-band-guys

Don't worry about me. I've got thick skin, and whatever criticism you have is pretty light and civil. First article was behind the NYT paywall for me. The second had about two paragraphs of relevance to me, before meandering off into what sounded like a discussion among 20 year old sociology majors over bong hits.

I've never had much of an opinion on Yoko one way or the other, honestly, apart from a dislike of her "music." The Beatles broke up before I was born, and John was killed when I was 8 years old. I'm well aware of the "Yoko broke up the Beatles" idea, but never watched Let It Be or delved into Beatles lore or generally cared enough to form any concrete opinion.

I think that casting off criticism as misogynist is a copout, though. Too many criticisms these days are cast into the ashheap of some kind of bigotry in order to discredit and discourage critical thought. Now Yoko is unquestionably weird and artsy, and that alone will get her fewer breaks from the outset from most people, and that isn't fair. But at the same time, that doesn't excuse what you acknowledged comes off as "strange, distracting, inappropriate, and ickily codependent." She should know better, but so should John, and he bears some of the blame here too for being either too wasted or too whipped (or a healthy mix of both) to put his foot down and say, "Honey, I really need to get to work here." Paul is trying to tread carefully and not step on any toes, and that comes at the expense of George.

In the end, I don't come away looking at this convinced Yoko broke up the Beatles, but she certainly had a hand in it, as did John with his complacency. I have a hard time blaming Paul for his actions at the time (hindsight is always 20/20), since they were a reaction to John/Yoko, but Paul had a hand then in driving the wedge further down. But it's also important to note that most bands don't endure. The Beatles could have, but they would've been destined for solo projects anyway, I think, only to come back together as something lesser than they were in their prime. That just happens. For the history books, it's probably best that they crumbled when they did.

Don't you guys think Yoko Ono was there because John Lennon WANTED her there?

It's been a long time since I've read Philip Norman's Lennon biography, but that's how I remember it: Yoko didn't frantically cling to John, it was the other way around.

For what it's worth, in the book's afterward, Norman says that Yoko thought he was too hard on John.

It says Dolby Atmos. In watching the Disney+ version, I don't recall much content that lent itself to credible surround sound. Am I mistaken?
Price is 30 GBP, so reasonable.
I suspect it will be the typical concert style mixing, ambience and Yoko in the rears :unsure:

Yes you heard it correctly Peter Jackson’s GET BACK is going to have a get this A 14 HOUR Directors Cut, how, when is still up to the people in control……Guess more news to follow…heard about this on VOLUME on Sirius/XM

Is this OVERKILL!! Could be for some but not for others, judging how the 1st 3 episodes went

And speaking about OVERKILL, with the recent Pink Floyd and David Bowie Museum tours why not one for The Beatles?😂😂😂
So according to The Digital Bits:
"...we don’t know for sure whether there will be special features or not, but the package will apparently feature “8 hours of content” which would seem to indicate that only the documentary itself will be included (as it’s 486 minutes long)."

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/010622-1230
If true, this begs the question, will there be a director's cut coming out down the road? I don't want to have to buy this more than once so, do I wait for the 14 hour version?

Back