Bob James Trio - Feel Like Making LIVE! Release Jan 28th 2022 Formats

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice review, a bit disappointed that the mix is allocentric (concert like) instead of egocentric. Import Cd's mailed out my sacd.

Nice review, a bit disappointed that the mix is allocentric (concert like) instead of egocentric.

I don't agree with that, the surround mixes are actually pretty adventurous for a live trio performance. The 5.1 mix is similar to Martin, Medeski & Wood's Uninivisble, if you’ve heard that DVD-A. The upright bass is mixed primarily to the center speaker, with the drum kit in stereo across the right channels and Bob James' keyboard spanning both left channels. There are some additional (overdubbed?) elements that engage the rears further, such as the shakers and vocals in track 4, but for the most part it's just those three instruments in play.

Hope you are right, I was having a similar discussion with my son when playing Deodato Skyscrapers on sacd, i love the bongos on the surround, was hoping to get this with Bob James one day...

So I’m watching the Dolby Atmos blu-ray right now and I’m thrilled with the audio, but at the same time I’m disappointed with the forced interview segments before each track. I don’t see anyway to watch or listen to just the audio without the chatter. Anyone else find this annoying?

• Wow
Reactions: GOS
So glad I am getting the sacd then...

Went downstairs and the sacd arrived, the first 3 songs were sounding too front ended but things are showing up more in the rears on the 4th, lets see...:)

Last edited:
Hi Steve, If the talking in between songs can be removed as in Lee Ritenour's 2 BD concert then I agree but I enjoy the sacd's lack of interruptions.

I miss him playing with Earl Klugh and Steve Gadd as in the Live in Carnegie Hall concert 79.

Received the BD~V/MQA CD combo today and am spinning the exceptional sounding MQA disc as I write checks out.

Will save the BD~V for later ... when the lights are low and our predicted Deep Freeze temps kick it with icy conditions forecast!

Love the enclosed 41 page glossy informative booklet. As I've always said: Hong Kong's EVOSOUND is a CLASS ACT all the way!

Will MOST probably spring for the Multi~CH SACD as well to avoid the chatter between songs [on the BD~V] and savor the bonus track!

Evosound has done very poorly by my book with the three Bob James Albums. I want his music to sound like Grover Washington's Soul Box goosebumps immersive. Just played this one followed by Soul Box, no comparison, and the first 2 were stereo!!!

Evosound has done very poorly by my book with the three Bob James Albums. I want his music to sound like Grover Washington's Soul Box goosebumps immersive. Just played this one followed by Soul Box, no comparison, and the first 2 were stereo!!!
You're comparing apples & oranges - this is a live-in-the-studio performance with only three musicians playing together in the same space, whereas Soul Box is a studio production with far more overdubs and separately-tracked elements to spread around the room. Plus, the Soul Box quad mix was designed to work within the confines of the CBS SQ matrix system that CTI was using for their quad LP releases in the '70s - hence the extreme separation in all four corners, even to the point where there's a silent channel.

There maybe an apples and oranges but one sounds like excrement compared to the other one. I know it may sound shocking but that big a difference is what I hear.

I was in the Carnegie Hall 79' concert and the instrumental separation was as dramatic as in the Quad CTI format, just coming from the front more but similar separation, good acoustics I guess. Maybe hire a couple more players...

Bob should hire a fourth player (Alex Zonjic , Airto, whomever) and then he could give us a proper quad mix.:D

I opted for the BD~V/MQA~CD combo too.

The Best…The mix and fidelity are really good. The atmos channels only give spatiality to the sound (no discretes)
The Worst….Comments between songs
The Curious…..Drums in the right channels, bass in the center channel and piano in the left channels

Last edited:
Back