HiRez Poll Davis, Miles - BITCHES BREW [SACD-JAPAN]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Miles Davis - BITCHES BREW

• Total voters
Being a casual fan of Miles , I have Kind of Blue and the Columbia box set from the 90’s , I never really gave him a proper listen. Oredered this from importcd on backorder , then I saw it wasn’t even being offered on their site so I ordered from cd Japan . Anyhow 2 days after it shipped from cd Japan I received it from importcd , so now I have 2 copies .
Anyhow, gave this a listen and I do have to say it is spectacular. I love this period of Miles, sonics on this are great with nice use of the surrounds , the music being put forth just blows my mind ( which I put into the right frame to listen) , my dogs even like it I think.
The package it comes in was done top notch . I have to give this a 9 , I probably will never find a 10 , that being said I highly recommend.

Can anyone who has successfully played the 4 channel version of Bitches Brew please tell me what DSD bit rate it was encoded in? I’m using an Oppo 203 feeding an Emotiva XMC1via hdmi, and the Oppo defaults to the stereo layer (44.1/24 bit). With all the same settings, Santana’s Lotus (also CBS Japan) plays perfectly in surround and reports as 2.88 MHz, 1bit. Thanks in advance.

Can anyone who has successfully played the 4 channel version of Bitches Brew please tell me what DSD bit rate it was encoded in? I’m using an Oppo 203 feeding an Emotiva XMC1via hdmi, and the Oppo defaults to the stereo layer (44.1/24 bit). With all the same settings, Santana’s Lotus (also CBS Japan) plays perfectly in surround and reports as 2.88 MHz, 1bit. Thanks in advance.
As far as I know, all SACDs are DSD64(2.8224 MHz, 1 bit). Bitches Brew is no exception. DSD at 2.8224 MHz should convert to 88.2/24 bit in FLAC mode. With the right settings, however, your OPPO 203 should playback in DSD at 2.8224 MHz.

BTW, I believe Santana's Lotus was taken from a QuadDSD master(11.2 MHz), and necessarily reduced to "single DSD"(2.8 MHz) as an SACD. I seem to remember Brian Moura being initially excited about Lotus at 11.2 but then realizing that, as an SACD, it necessarily had to adhere to the SACD default standard of 2.8. This does mean, however, that Sony could potentially sell Lotus as a download at master quality(11.2) or at "double DSD"(5.6).

As far as I know, all SACDs are DSD64(2.8224 MHz, 1 bit). Bitches Brew is no exception. DSD at 2.8224 MHz should convert to 88.2/24 bit in FLAC mode. With the right settings, however, your OPPO 203 should playback in DSD at 2.8224 MHz.

BTW, I believe Santana's Lotus was taken from a QuadDSD master(11.2 MHz), and necessarily reduced to "single DSD"(2.8 MHz) as an SACD. I seem to remember Brian Moura being initially excited about Lotus at 11.2 but then realizing that, as an SACD, it necessarily had to adhere to the SACD default standard of 2.8. This does mean, however, that Sony could potentially sell Lotus as a download at master quality(11.2) or at "double DSD"(5.6).

Thanks for your reply. This has me completely baffled, as this is the only time anything has ever refused to play on my system. One possibility is that regardless of what the packaging says, there is no Quad layer on these discs. The Santana album, for example, has SACD and Hybrid clearly printed on the discs themselves, while my Bitches Brew does not, just “Stereo 360° Sound”, yet it comes with all the elaborate packaging including the facsimile SQ Quad promotional inserts. Buyer beware, I guess. If anyone would be so kind as to post a picture of the label of an actual Quad disc, I’d be most grateful, as that might put this to rest.
Also, one of the inserts for Lotus refers to 11.2 MHz. I’ve attached a picture.F24D616E-4E1F-4743-8B8F-0434D3DC3D45.jpeg

Here is the picture of the whole set. The discs themselves should be labeled as SICJ 10008 and SICJ 10009.
The whole release is also very well documented on discogs, all the pictures are there: https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Bitches-Brew/release/12328467

There is a quad layer on these, one possibility is that your laser needs to be cleaned, replaced or calibrated. Not recognizing the SACD layer on some hybrid discs is usually a sign of the laser going bad, as far as I know.

IMG_20180922_143132.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the picture of the whole set. The discs themselves should be labeled as SICJ 10008 and SICJ 10009. There is a quad layer on these, one possibility is that your laser needs to be cleaned, replaced or calibrated. Not recognizing the SACD layer on some hybrid discs is usually a sign of the laser going bad, as far as I know.

That solves it. Mine are red Columbia reproductions. No Quad to listen to. Thanks for the picture.
View attachment 36704

Get the quad version while it is available, it is amazing! And it is a classic quad mix!
It is still available on amazon and cdjapan.
Luckily, I bought it from Amazon, so it’s on its way back for credit and the proper one is on order from Japan via EBay (the seller even had pics of the correct discs).
The Amazon one had all the proper packaging (SQ Quad in the upper front corner), the OBI band with Quad and 4 channel all over it, as well as the SQ Quad stylus diagrams etc. Even some stickers! Only the discs were wrong. In a way, it’s a relief, since all the hardware was operating properly; it can’t play what’s not there. Thanks to all for your assistance.

I just ordered a Japanese version of this on SACD, but it's the stereo remaster from 2007. I'm moving some of my SACD media to a 2 channel system with OPPO player, so stereo os ok for me. Can anyone with this version let me know how the mix is?

This is an astounding release. Always a challenging listen, the quad mix takes it to another level. Both opening it up and drawing you in deeper to really listen. Hard to imagine why I would ever want to hear the stereo again. Miles’ trumpet is echoing around the room. Drums and electric pianos coming at you from all over. This was no “second-thought” quad mix.

The sound quality of the SACD is fabulous as well. I’m a bit ambivalent about the packaging, TBH. The 7” size and all the inserts are cool, but it’s a bit cumbersome as well. And as I can’t read Japanese....

The music obviously isn’t for everyone. Although some who don’t like the music might enjoy this just for the trippy and fantastic quad experience.

One of those albums and classic mixes I wasn’t sure I would ever live to see the day of it being released. This one really is special.

10! 10! 10! 10!

This is an astounding release. Always a challenging listen, the quad mix takes it to another level. Both opening it up and drawing you in deeper to really listen. Hard to imagine why I would ever want to hear the stereo again. Miles’ trumpet is echoing around the room. Drums and electric pianos coming at you from all over. This was no “second-thought” quad mix.

The sound quality of the SACD is fabulous as well. I’m a bit ambivalent about the packaging, TBH. The 7” size and all the inserts are cool, but it’s a bit cumbersome as well. And as I can’t read Japanese....

The music obviously isn’t for everyone. Although some who don’t like the music might enjoy this just for the trippy and fantastic quad experience.

One of those albums and classic mixes I wasn’t sure I would ever live to see the day of it being released. This one really is special.

10! 10! 10! 10!
Amen, Whiz. This one's a fantastic sonic trip!

Surprised this is still in stock at CDJapan. Have any of the 7" been selling out?
I’d like to know this as well. If they sell out it’s better and I’d be more optimistic about more forthcoming ones in the future.

I think we are due or overdue for another in this 7” SACD series.

Last edited:
Back