eBay "Shockers" discussion (formerly Shocker Log)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not yet Adam, ( which is a surprise ! ) I briefly tried out " This Is It ", but don't think that's in 5.1 ? I did try out my Toto Blu Ray's briefly, and they sounded great ! ( i suffer from severe M.E. which has worsened, so it's frustrating trying to watch, when my eyes get so heavy. It's easier to just put on music, than watch something, although in the very first few years, i couldn't even get through a cd ! )

do give the MJ History DVD a go when you can Rob. it is surprisingly good. The video quality is v.poor, so you could just switch off the tv and listen to the nice surround mixes instead (just let them roll..)

I do the same with the Billy Joel video collection DVD, just let it play away without watching the video, it has some nice 5.1 on it too.

I use ripped copies of the McCartney years DVDs, just the DTS 5.1 tracks, whenever I feel like giving them a spin, as navigating the original without the TV on is nigh-on impossible - there are some really nice surround mixes on there.

Also the Lennon - Legend Video hits DVD has some great DTS 5.1 mixes, well worth checking out and still nice and cheap and easy to get.

do give the MJ History DVD a go when you can Rob. it is surprisingly good. The video quality is v.poor, so you could just switch off the tv and listen to the nice surround mixes instead (just let them roll..)

I do the same with the Billy Joel video collection DVD, just let it play away without watching the video, it has some nice 5.1 on it too.

I played History Disc 1 through this morning, it sounded great ( is a universal player supposed to sound better, than a stand alone DVD player / Blu Ray player ? )
I'm a huge fan of Billy Joel, checkout the Blu Ray of Live At Shea Stadium, it's fantastic.

I played History Disc 1 through this morning, it sounded great ( is a universal player supposed to sound better, than a stand alone DVD player / Blu Ray player ? )
I'm a huge fan of Billy Joel, checkout the Blu Ray of Live At Shea Stadium, it's fantastic.

a Universal players only a better thing if you're into SACD & DVD-Audio, like we are!

a regular DVD player will playback PCM Stereo, Dolby Digital 2.0 & 5.1 as standard and nearly all now playback DTS (including DTS Music CDs).

a regular BD player will playback PCM Stereo & Multichannel, upto 7.1, as well as at the very least Dolby Digital and the DTS core, with many being able to playback Dolby True HD, DTS HD Master Audio, etc, too.

Sony's current range of BDPs playback SACD and there are Universal BDPs from Oppo, Cambridge Audio, Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, Yamaha, that all playback just about every type of disc you throw at them!

oh and as a huge Billy Joel fan, if you haven't got them already, you NEED the Multichannel SACDs of The Stranger & 52nd Street! they are INCREDIBLE!!!

Sony's current range of BDPs playback SACD and there are Universal BDPs from Oppo, Cambridge Audio, Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, Yamaha, that all playback just about every type of disc you throw at them!

oh and as a huge Billy Joel fan, if you haven't got them already, you NEED the Multichannel SACDs of The Stranger & 52nd Street! they are INCREDIBLE!!!

I have the Billy Joel multichannel SACD's, Adam. Yes, they are incredible....

I've contacted the seller on Amazon, about my new Pioneer player. ( the tray closing eight times on the trot, was the final straw ! ) Thankfully, they can collect ( Friday pm)
I asked what is the procedure once collected, and they said they could replace ( i don't want another ! ) or give a refund. I'll be glad when it's gone back and i've got my refund.

I have the Billy Joel multichannel SACD's, Adam. Yes, they are incredible....

I've contacted the seller on Amazon, about my new Pioneer player. ( the tray closing eight times on the trot, was the final straw ! ) Thankfully, they can collect ( Friday pm)
I asked what is the procedure once collected, and they said they could replace ( i don't want another ! ) or give a refund. I'll be glad when it's gone back and i've got my refund.

once you've got it sorted and they've refunded you etc., if you can stretch to the Oppo BDP-93 (or Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD - Oppo clone) then you won't go far wrong :)

once you've got it sorted and they've refunded you etc., if you can stretch to the Oppo BDP-93 (or Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD - Oppo clone) then you won't go far wrong :)

Yes, i'll have to look at what my bank statement says ! LOL What about the Marantz UD5005 player ( as a cheaper alternative ) I want the Oppo really.

UD5005 same guts as the cheaper (now discontinued, so lots of deals) Denon DBP-1611.

basic but solid & stable machine. plays all the formats any self-respecting QQ-er would need.

only key feature it really lacked was .ISO playback (ability to play Hi-Rez files from an external hard drive) until latest firmware update removed it from Oppo machines.

plus it doesn't have multichannel analogue outs, just a single (3D-Ready/1.4 spec) HDMI.

I toyed with getting a Denon or Marantz but the Oppo & Cambridge Audio have better build quality and are superior transports (disc tray in particular is flimsier on Denon than on Oppo.).

UD5005 same guts as the cheaper (now discontinued, so lots of deals) Denon DBP-1611.

basic but solid & stable machine. plays all the formats any self-respecting QQ-er would need.

only key feature it really lacked was .ISO playback (ability to play Hi-Rez files from an external hard drive) until latest firmware update removed it from Oppo machines.

plus it doesn't have multichannel analogue outs, just a single (3D-Ready/1.4 spec) HDMI.

I toyed with getting a Denon or Marantz but the Oppo & Cambridge Audio have better build quality and are superior transports (disc tray in particular is flimsier on Denon than on Oppo.).

Thanks for the advice Adam. I'll probably buy the Oppo.

I gotta kick in here. My 93 made my whole cd collection, that I had given up on, sound brand new. I just popped one in to try it out and was amazed. The solid build on the oppo and quality that goes into them, is great!
plus, you will hear of the CS, that I have never seen before, they responded to me on a holiday. Then I got into a discussion with a "audiophile" over the analog ports ability to carry 192/24 signals, they sterpped right up and explained it to him, as he thought I was an idiot. What company will do that?

I gotta kick in here. My 93 made my whole cd collection, that I had given up on, sound brand new. I just popped one in to try it out and was amazed. The solid build on the oppo and quality that goes into them, is great!
plus, you will hear of the CS, that I have never seen before, they responded to me on a holiday. Then I got into a discussion with a "audiophile" over the analog ports ability to carry 192/24 signals, they sterpped right up and explained it to him, as he thought I was an idiot. What company will do that?

You guys are certainly convincing me. Once i get my refund ( and a couple of paydays have come by ) i will order one.

You guys are certainly convincing me. Once i get my refund ( and a couple of paydays have come by ) i will order one.

I hear you there!! I was fortunate enough to get a windfall on cash, and I really needed new equipment to work with, but I went for this instead. I have never looked back with regret. I did have my JVC dvd audio player, and a sony sacd deck. The sound the Oppo put out blew both away. I kind of thought the sony would be better-HA! what a wrong assumption that was.

Lovebox - Groove Armada (SACD).

eBay item number - 221129806767

Started at £99.99.

Lone bidder, chipped in with about an hour to go before listing ended.

Sold for £99.99.

This might be the cheapest I've seen this sell in an auction for awhile?

I SO wish this had been left to be relisted (as I've recently noticed a fair few expensive discs have on eBay, people are wise now, they won't just dive in and blow big sums on this stuff when they know you can still get lucky and find them cheap) ...

..or at the very least I wish that the Seller had started it off lower to generate more interest and bids.. although then it'd probably have gone higher!?

All that bike needs is a quad sound system and it'd be da bomb!

Attachments

• BowdenSpacelander.jpg
    BowdenSpacelander.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 363
Back