First Look at the 4 New Quadios - QQ Exclusive!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really impressed with these quad releases! The 1st important criteria I use is by checking to see if those quad mixes STILL CONTAIN the UNIQUE mixes that are not on the stereo mixes. Clearly that is the case here! The Alice Cooper quad mixes have some songs with major differences between the quad and standard stereo mixes - and of course the Black Sabbath quad release for Paranoid does, too....THANK YOU! PLEASE RELEASE MORE!

Perhaps originally. The label definitely shifted more towards rock as the decade went on, being the home of Sabbath, Status Quo, Thin Lizzy and Dire Straits, to name but a few.
I guess you mean "Hard Rock"?, although the first couple of Thin Lizzy albums (on Deram) could almost be considered progressive..
I just discovered a cool Australian band that was on Vertigo, called Buffalo. Have you heard of them?
p.s. some favorites that were on Vertigo:
Gentle Giant, Nucleus, Colosseum, Kraftwerk...

I guess you mean "Hard Rock"?, although the first couple of Thin Lizzy albums (on Deram) could almost be considered progressive..
I just discovered a cool Australian band that was on Vertigo, called Buffalo. Have you heard of them?
p.s. some favorites that were on Vertigo:
Gentle Giant, Nucleus, Colosseum, Kraftwerk...
...Jade Warrior...

I'm enjoying the quad 'Paranoid', but today I noticed that during 'War Pigs' at 06:34 the bass volume suddenly increased and sounded more round and full up to the end. I scanned the disc (by ear) and found this again on 'Iron Man' at 20:20 up to the end. Any thoughts on why this would be? I eliminated the sub woofer, but it was the same, and the stereo version is uniform throughout from what I was able to hear.

I'm using a Sony UBP-X800 through an Onkyo TX-NR696 on Dolby Surround. My speakers are what I have on hand: JBL ND310II Northridges in front and Yamaha NS-A100XTs in the rear. Nothing fancy, but they suit my needs fine, and I've never had THIS issue previously.

Last edited:
I'm enjoying the quad 'Paranoid', but today I noticed that during 'War Pigs' at 06:34 the bass volume suddenly increased and sounded more round and full up to the end. I scanned the disc (by ear) and found this again on 'Iron Man' at 20:20 up to the end. Any thoughts on why this would be? I eliminated the sub woofer, but it was the same, and the stereo version is uniform throughout from what I was able to hear.

I'm using a Sony UBP-X800 through an Onkyo TX-NR696 on Dolby Surround. My speakers are what I have on hand: JBL ND310II Northridges in front and Yamaha NS-A100XTs in the rear. Nothing fancy, but they suit my needs fine, and I've never had THIS issue previously.
I don't think you are supposed to use Dolby Surround, these are DTS encoded tracks. Unless I am readying your post incorrectly.

Last edited:
The Alice Cooper quad mixes have some songs with major differences between the quad and standard stereo mixes - and of course the Black Sabbath quad release for Paranoid does, too....THANK YOU! PLEASE RELEASE MORE!
That is what I like about the AC Quadio disc, it is very different from the stereo mix could and did bother some folks. I'm fine because I have heard the stereo mix a million times, and this has enough odd things going on that it's like a new album for me. Production and sound quality are tops, and so what if it plays out so differently.

...Dolby Surround...
I don't think you are supposed to use Dolby Surround, these are DTS encoded tracks. Unless I am readying your incorrectly.
Yes, indeed, @Frank Lovejoy: in this case, "Dolby Surround" would be upmixing the quad to whatever your speaker configuration is. If your player is set to output bitstream audio, your receiver should show "DTS-HD Master Audio" (or at least some variant of "DTS"). If your player is set to output PCM audio, your receiver should show "Multi-Ch. In," or something similar.

Yes, indeed, @Frank Lovejoy: in this case, "Dolby Surround" would be upmixing the quad to whatever your speaker configuration is. If your player is set to output bitstream audio, your receiver should show "DTS-HD Master Audio" (or at least some variant of "DTS"). If your player is set to output PCM audio, your receiver should show "Multi-Ch. In," or something similar.
Thank you @quicksrt & @JediJoker! Sadly, I had to prove in front of QQ that I'm no genius regarding my own equipment, but even I don't know how I managed to bring up, much less choose, Dolby Surround for these discs. It reminds me of the Upper Class Twit of the Year that ran over himself with a car, or Homer Simpson causing a nuclear meltdown in a simulator. How did I do that?!?

Last night I popped in my new B$B, and the DTS-HD Master option popped right up, so now I know. After listening to a decidedly bass-lite version, I went in and found some serious tweaks were needed (I blame some little hooligans, but who knows after my last gaff ) which improved it greatly. Paranoid came next, and it sounded much better, as well, so thank you both for your observations and recommendations. 👍

Last edited:
Thank you @quicksrt & @JediJoker! Sadly, I had to prove in front of QQ that I'm no genius regarding my own equipment, but even I don't know how I managed to bring up, much less choose, Dolby Surround for these discs. It reminds me of the Upper Class Twit of the Year that ran over himself with a car, or Homer Simpson causing a nuclear meltdown in a simulator. How did I do that?!?

Last night I popped in my new B$B, and the DTS-HD Master option popped right up, so now I know. After listening to a decidedly bass-lite version, I went in and found some serious tweaks were needed (I blame some little hooligans, but who knows after my last gaff ) which improved it greatly. Paranoid came next, and it sounded much better, as well, so thank you both for you observations and recommendations. 👍
I've learned most through the mistakes I've made in audio playback/production. I'd say you're ahead of the curve if you even recognized there was an issue AND figured out the solution as easily as you did. :cool:

Hi- Rhino are to be congratulated for issuing these quadio sets and supporting four channel releases. A distribution point in Europe should be considered
as there is a further hefty tax to pay on these discs sent from US. It is to be hoped that , with the old extensive Warner Bros catalogue, further quad releases
could provide more varied music as the current discs are not to everybody's taste. Looking forward to further releases.

Hi- Rhino are to be congratulated for issuing these quadio sets and supporting four channel releases. A distribution point in Europe should be considered
as there is a further hefty tax to pay on these discs sent from US. It is to be hoped that , with the old extensive Warner Bros catalogue, further quad releases
could provide more varied music as the current discs are not to everybody's taste. Looking forward to further releases.
They do have UK distribution set up for Qaudio discs. Two of these current ones are not available because the artist is under contract to another label in Europe, and the other was considered not enough in demand. The store is called Dig I gather.

Rhino listens to people’s comments on what they would most like to hear from the series. But I’ll add that these four titles did make an international splash in the surround listeners world and collectors circles in general. There were ripples across the internet, and early orders were double what was expected. The choice of titles was very important being that they were to follow two highly acclaimed Quadio box sets. These four titles together were like releasing a 4-disc box set since so many people went for all four in one go. This is not an accident.

But glad to see you just now newly posting! Just like a new member, these titles brought out some new faces around here.

I've learned most through the mistakes I've made in audio playback/production. I'd say you're ahead of the curve if you even recognized there was an issue AND figured out the solution as easily as you did. :cool:
I have an older Denon AVR with very fine sound - but the odd thing is I was not always able to get it to play analog in without some effect being applied. Not always but sometimes. The buttons on the front are confusing. So it’s been taken out of service and I’m using a Yamaha that has HDMI, more power per channel, and it 7.1 rather then just 5.1. But the confusing Denon was just weird. So I do know about how just a button or two or three can screw up what is going on with playback, even when it should not. But at least you mentioned the odd bass level shifting and this tipped me off on a potential switch in wrong mode. Glad you didn’t suffer for months with bad DTS decoding.

Last edited:
I got mine a couple of weeks ago and haven't been hit for tax yet, but they could still send an invoice over the next couple of weeks.

Back