First Look at the 4 New Quadios - QQ Exclusive!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See my post in the Poll Thread. The stereo tracks follow the front channels of the quad in the wav file, having empty rears. It's a weird setup, but apparently it had to be done that way for the menu system.
Some where way back in the thread wasn't it mentioned that some choices had to be made due to differing Track lengths of Quad & Stereo?

Some where way back in the thread wasn't it mentioned that some choices had to be made due to differing Track lengths of Quad & Stereo?
Yeah. In order for the Quad & Stereo programs to be switchable via the red & yellow buttons, they need to have roughly the same starting and ending points. Kinda like when you're watching a movie on a bluray disc and you can switch the audio streams from DTS to Dolby Digital to the Commentary tracks etc. via the "Audio" button on your remote. They have to line up!
Alice's Quad mix didn't line up with the Stereo. So rather than ditch the stereo, I asked Craig if he could put them "in Series" - stereo after the Quadio.
So apologies for the weirdness, but that's so Alice.

Alice's Quad mix didn't line up with the Stereo. So rather than ditch the stereo, I asked Craig if he could put them "in Series" - stereo after the Quadio.
In the future, rather than having them in series on the same program, might I suggest two different programs: one for quad, and one for stereo? Still not switchable via the red/yellow or audio buttons, but that way, you wouldn't have the odd formatting of stereo tracks housed within a surround container.

A lot of quad mixes have different time stamps then their stereo mixes. One of the favs is Steve Miller Band - Take The Money And Run. The intro is looped twice. Many other examples, too - the authenticity of those anomalies makes listening to quad that much more fun.

A lot of people are buying the Quadio titles for the Stereo, and rediscovering a title by listening to the Quad stream. It’s important to have both to get the most sales.

I’m still waiting for the Alice title, but it looks great. I don’t see any problem with it. You can play both the Quad and Stereo music fine.

So I think others have mentioned this but I have one little quibble with the way these discs play in my Oppo BDP-105; when I put the disc in the machine it autoplays, but the sound doesn't kick in until maybe 2-3 seconds into the first track presumably because either the Oppo or my AVR (Denon something or other fairly new, maybe 2-3 years old) is figuring out what the sound format is. If once playing I hit the button to return to the beginning of the first track, it then plays fine. A minor annoyance, but my 5.1 of Animals doesn't do that, it instead makes you take action to play, like a movie. I think I prefer the latter... Although I can see Rhino's reasoning for doing it the way they did, I could listen to these without having a monitor turned on, as long as I wanted to listen to the quad tracks.

So I think others have mentioned this but I have one little quibble with the way these discs play in my Oppo BDP-105; when I put the disc in the machine it autoplays, but the sound doesn't kick in until maybe 2-3 seconds into the first track presumably because either the Oppo or my AVR (Denon something or other fairly new, maybe 2-3 years old) is figuring out what the sound format is. If once playing I hit the button to return to the beginning of the first track, it then plays fine. A minor annoyance, but my 5.1 of Animals doesn't do that, it instead makes you take action to play, like a movie. I think I prefer the latter... Although I can see Rhino's reasoning for doing it the way they did, I could listen to these without having a monitor turned on, as long as I wanted to listen to the quad tracks.
I only have the Red Octopus disc, and at the moment, my 105 refuses to pass 1080p, so the menus don’t show up. (Working on the problem, I’ll keep those interested in the loop) There’s a short, repeating loop from track 1, and if I press OK on the remote, it starts playing a surround of track 1, then track 2…, all the while my screen is complaining that it has no signal and I need to check my HDMI connections.

I’m using the analog audio outputs from the 105 into my Marantz 7701, with HDMI (of course) for the video.

I only have the Red Octopus disc, and at the moment, my 105 refuses to pass 1080p, so the menus don’t show up. (Working on the problem, I’ll keep those interested in the loop) There’s a short, repeating loop from track 1, and if I press OK on the remote, it starts playing a surround of track 1, then track 2…, all the while my screen is complaining that it has no signal and I need to check my HDMI connections.

I’m using the analog audio outputs from the 105 into my Marantz 7701, with HDMI (of course) for the video.

Boo! that sounds like a whole mess of Not Fun.

I'm wondering if the weirdness you are experiencing is because of some weird HDMI handshake issue?

I have noticed some oddness with my own 105 myself, mostly because now I'm using it more because I've been listening to these quadios whereas previously I was primarily either streaming Qobuz or else using Fire Stick to watch sports or movies. My current setup is Oppo -> Denon AVR-S760H -> Sony KDL-52EX700 (a ~10 year old 1080p television). What I've found is that when powering up everything (I use an old Xsight Color universal remote) when the Denon is already set to the "Blu-Ray" input and there's a Quadio disc in the player, the screen is magenta colored and I have no sound, what looks like a failing HDMI connection but I believe that it is actually a failed handshake (and the cable from the Oppo to the Denon is a new, good one because for a while I was using a 4K TV in the living room. I also had issues with the Sony 4K player that I tried to use, but I digress)

How I can get it to work is to change the input on the Denon to anything else, then switch it back to Blu-Ray. I don't have this issue with other HDMI devices, even ones that change their output resolution/frame rate, so I don't really have an explanation for it, but it seems that disc players in particular can cause these issues. It seems the trick is that the Oppo has to completely power up first before the Denon looks at the Blu-Ray HDMI input, then everything is OK. So I guess I have to go back to my remote program and either build in more delay or change the order of device power up around so that the Denon powers up last and maybe I'll even have it read a different input like my Chromecast and then switch to the Blu-Ray.

If I was last using a different input, like streaming music from Qobuz through a Chromecast, then everything works fine.

Of course I may be way off base here because I'm using the HDMI to pass the audio to the Denon (yes, I know that a 105 is absolute overkill for this use, but it was easier to use it than it was to mess with the Sony) and using the Denon's internal DAC whereas your setup is using the analog audio outputs. Now I have used it that way previously but have not had the specific issues you're having...

Edit: humor me, try playing the disc with the HDMI cable unplugged, see what happens.

Also if it turns out to be a fault with the Oppo, I would strongly recommend just sending it back to them for repair. It's surprisingly inexpensive and doesn't take long. Even though they're out of the business, their customer service is still great.

Last edited:

I'm wondering if the weirdness you are experiencing is because of some weird HDMI handshake issue?

I have noticed some oddness with my own 105 myself, mostly because now I'm using it more because I've been listening to these quadios whereas previously I was primarily either streaming Qobuz or else using Fire Stick to watch sports or movies. My current setup is Oppo -> Denon AVR-S760H -> Sony KDL-52EX700 (a ~10 year old 1080p television). What I've found is that when powering up everything (I use an old Xsight Color universal remote) when the Denon is already set to the "Blu-Ray" input and there's a Quadio disc in the player, the screen is magenta colored and I have no sound, what looks like a failing HDMI connection but I believe that it is actually a failed handshake (and the cable from the Oppo to the Denon is a new, good one because for a while I was using a 4K TV in the living room. I also had issues with the Sony 4K player that I tried to use, but I digress)

How I can get it to work is to change the input on the Denon to anything else, then switch it back to Blu-Ray. I don't have this issue with other HDMI devices, even ones that change their output resolution/frame rate, so I don't really have an explanation for it, but it seems that disc players in particular can cause these issues. It seems the trick is that the Oppo has to completely power up first before the Denon looks at the Blu-Ray HDMI input, then everything is OK. So I guess I have to go back to my remote program and either build in more delay or change the order of device power up around so that the Denon powers up last and maybe I'll even have it read a different input like my Chromecast and then switch to the Blu-Ray.

If I was last using a different input, like streaming music from Qobuz through a Chromecast, then everything works fine.

Of course I may be way off base here because I'm using the HDMI to pass the audio to the Denon (yes, I know that a 105 is absolute overkill for this use, but it was easier to use it than it was to mess with the Sony) and using the Denon's internal DAC whereas your setup is using the analog audio outputs. Now I have used it that way previously but have not had the specific issues you're having...

Edit: humor me, try playing the disc with the HDMI cable unplugged, see what happens.

Also if it turns out to be a fault with the Oppo, I would strongly recommend just sending it back to them for repair. It's surprisingly inexpensive and doesn't take long. Even though they're out of the business, their customer service is still great.
Are they still doing repairs? I might have to use them as my Oppo's have been inactive for 4 years

And, oddly (and maddengly), it started working fine last night.

I did contact Oppo a couple of days ago, and we’re having a back-and-forth email discussion. Still an open issue, because this sort of thing makes me fall out of love with things.

And, oddly (and maddengly), it started working fine last night.

I did contact Oppo a couple of days ago, and we’re having a back-and-forth email discussion. Still an open issue, because this sort of thing makes me fall out of love with things.

I'd stick with it... if you can get it working again it does stuff that no other player can, like basically being a HDMI interface to an old non-HDMI AVR or a quad receiver/preamp, and also the 103 and 105 (sadly not the 203/205) have the ability to rip SACDs, so definitely worth having.

If you do decide to dump it though I imagine you will have no trouble finding a new home for it.

I'd stick with it... if you can get it working again it does stuff that no other player can, like basically being a HDMI interface to an old non-HDMI AVR or a quad receiver/preamp, and also the 103 and 105 (sadly not the 203/205) have the ability to rip SACDs, so definitely worth having.

If you do decide to dump it though I imagine you will have no trouble finding a new home for it.
No, I’m definitely not dumping it, but I know I shouldn’t depend on it. Which makes me quite sad.

My hope was that this time, it was really broken, and whatever was wrong with it could get fixed. Not yet. 🤬

Back