First Look at the 4 New Quadios - QQ Exclusive!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listen to Planet Caravan and really feel the atmosphere of it, and those guitar chords all over Fairies Wear Boots show off a particular type of electric distortion - such control and skill on display of course, still so appealing after years of hearing it. It is just better sound quality to me in this quad mix, as if they finally found the very first generation master tape of the album. Oh wait……

If it shows, check the shipping weight. If your package is about 0.3 pounds, it probably has just one disc. My separate Geils and Sabbath packages show about the exact same weight which leads me to believe there’s only one disc in each package.
Good idea.
But neither seems to show a shipping weight that I can find.
Time will tell

I can’t even look because we all could have saved shipping cost if we waited a week for the 4th of July sale 😭
I missed the 4th of July sale AND the discount code. (Should have stopped by this forum first instead of rushing to order first thing that morning).

Oh well. Life’s too short to cry over missed discounts and a few dollars wasted. I’ll just sit back and enjoy the music! :51QQ

Ozzy's vocals are mixed very low and distant, especially in War Pigs, like they are coming from a different room or something. It doesn't ruin it for me but I wish they boosted the vocals to make them more present and immediate. This is really my only nit-pick of the whole disc.
That's interesting, I've had the CD-4 LP for years and never really felt that the vocals were lacking. Could this be the 'scooped mids' mastering EQ problem rearing its ugly head again?

That's interesting, I've had the CD-4 LP for years and never really felt that the vocals were lacking. Could this be the 'scooped mids' mastering EQ problem rearing its ugly head again?
It would be interesting to hear your thoughts if you can compare the CD-4 mix to the new quadio.

I found the weight of the shipment by tracking via UPS.com Once you track it, then you can select shipment details and there the weight is listed.
Thanks, that worked,
Both about the same weight which means JS and B$B are nowhere to be found so far.
Bummer, because I place the order within 5 minutes of them going live .
Patience is a virtue, right? ;)

Patience is a virtue, right?
It is, but Rhino could make the patience a bit easier to manage.

When I look in my account, it just shows the bundle order... not the two titles that have already shipped or their tracking numbers. Those came in e-mail.

But it would be nice to log into your account and at least see the other titles are “Shipment Pending” or something like that just to reassure you they’re on it. But with their current system, you really only get the overall order, and then left to try to make heads or tails of it when you see what’s happening with other orders where all four were shipped, albeit in two packages.

It might also spare them what I imagine is a number of support e-mails from people asking what’s going on, or in a panic if some titles they ordered but haven’t shipped are now listed as “out of stock” or something like that.

Like you, I ordered within moments of it going live. So to have two ship and two apparently not is a bit mystifying, made a bit worse by the lack of info available in one’s account.

But yeah... patience... virtue... all that. ;)

Ripping Note:
I ripped 4.0 and 2.0 of all 4 Quadios using MKV and MMH.
No problems but a heads up on Billion Dollar Babies.
Rips as noted 20 Chapters 4.0 in MKV, then I thought lets try DVDAE, same thing.
I knew the 20 chapter single rip was 10 4.0's and 10 2.0's but what order tagged?
I sent all to my JRiver and very fast seperated the 2.0's from the 4.0's and just manually tagged the track songs.
FYI: 1-10 are the 4.0's and 11-20 are the 2.0's

Ripping Note:
Rips as noted 20 Chapters 4.0 in MKV, then I thought lets try DVDAE, same thing.
I knew the 20 chapter single rip was 10 4.0's and 10 2.0's but what order tagged?
I sent all to my JRiver and very fast seperated the 2.0's from the 4.0's and just manually tagged the track songs.

See my post in the Poll Thread. The stereo tracks follow the front channels of the quad in the wav file, having empty rears. It's a weird setup, but apparently it had to be done that way for the menu system.

I have ripped and played all 4 of the new Quadios. However, whereas the other three rip correctly using DVD-Audio Extractor (and AnyDVD HD), showing 192-24 titles in stereo and in quad, the Billion Dollar Babies only shows 20 tracks in quad. So I ripped them in quad and only the last 10 tracks ripped showing they are quad both via JRiver and also ROON. But when I played them in ROON although ROON shows 4.0, there is NO sound out of the rear speakers at all. NOTHING! Also, in an attempt to get a true stereo rip, I set DVD Audio Extractor to rip stereo and it ripped the first 10 tracks, which play fine in stereo.

I tried it again, same result.

Next I used DVD-Audio Extractor again, this time ripping to the original DTS-HD (demux) files. The I used JRiver to convert to FLAC, also converted to WAV. WEIRD. Original DTS-HD files showed ripping as "quad", but converted to FLAC showed 5.1. Yet only one song "Elected" came out sounding in quad with rear speakers, all else in stereo, even though ROON shows in 5.1. And the files I converted to WAV all show 4.0 "quad" in ROON but all play only in stereo. VERY WEIRD. Disappointed.

No issues at all on the other 3 Quadio discs. Or on the Doobie Bros and the Chicago quad discs I ripped several years ago with DVD-Audio Extractor.

Last edited:
Ripping Note:

But now listen to them and tell me if its the same for you as me, even though the multi-channel "quad" tracks show as such in JRiver and ROON they play as stereo only. At least for me.

See my post in the Poll Thread. The stereo tracks follow the front channels of the quad in the wav file, having empty rears. It's a weird setup, but apparently it had to be done that way for the menu system.

Its the same not only for wav files but also for flac files when I rip them. Color me not happy! The other three new quad discs don't have this issue at all!

If i remember right, it seems Jon bought the Quad paranoid reel tape for about $500. I'm wondering how the quadio stacks up with that rare reel tape?

Last edited:
Back