Future Quadio releases?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: “Wishing You Were Here”
It should have peaked much higher! The best tracks are not usually the Greatest Hits!
It might have had more longevity than a higher charting Chicago hit, staying on the top 40 for more weeks than some of the others. I remember in '75 really well. It was very exciting for me seeing all of these killer albums coming out, and the hit singles on the radio sounded absolutely incredible. The mixing and sound quality just jumped out of the speakers at you. This Chicago single came out in late '74 and peaked in 1975. The Beach Boys took this record over the top in amazing production.

In '75 there were all of these productions with amazing vocal stylings like 10cc "I'm Not In Love" (hundreds of over-dubs) and other audiophile sounding production techniques I was pretty much into a trance with.

Last edited:
Re: “Wishing You Were Here”

It might have had more longevity that a higher charting Chicago hit, staying on the top 40 for more weeks than some of the others. I remember in '75 really well. It was very exciting for me seeing all of these killer albums coming out, and the hit singles on the radio sounded absolutely incredible. The mixing and sound quality just jumped out of the speakers at you. This Chicago single came out in late '75 and peaked in 1975. The Beach Boys took this record over the top in amazing production.

In '75 there were all of these productions with amazing vocal stylings like 10cc "I'm Not In Love" (hundreds of over-dubs) and other audiophile sounding production techniques I was pretty much into a trance with.
Agreed. Great track

But I believe the track he is referring to that “should have peaked much higher” is “Lowdown”.

And I agree that WYWH is a masterpiece of production and mixing. Which is one reason I was so excited to hear the quad mix only to find an entire acoustic guitar track is missing. 😳

Oh I was looking at this post but my mind must have gone off there.

Typo there too, it was out late '74, and peaked in '75 btw.
We can call all the tracks on Chicago GH “Top 10” if we note that WYWH went to #9 on Cash Box. (I’ve always heard of Cash Box but don’t ever recall seeing a copy of it. Was it a magazine like Billboard? Or just a chart? 🤷‍♂️).

But either way, how many GH albums had so many bonafide, high-ranking hits? By that criteria, it MUST be among the very top, if not THE top?

Yes Cashbox was a decent trade magazine and interesting even for non-industry types to look at.

Yeah, WYWH has longevity that Just You 'N Me, and Call on Me might not (at all) really have going for them.

We can call all the tracks on Chicago GH “Top 10” if we note that WYWH went to #9 on Cash Box. (I’ve always heard of Cash Box but don’t ever recall seeing a copy of it. Was it a magazine like Billboard? Or just a chart? 🤷‍♂️).

But either way, how many GH albums had so many bonafide, high-ranking hits? By that criteria, it MUST be among the very top, if not THE top?
This is why this hits collection just has "Quadio top seller" written all over it.

Only to the degree there’s a market of quad fans of early 70s Chicago who don’t already have the boxed set.

I’m sure there are some. But enough to warrant a separate release? 🤷‍♂️.
I think many quad fans were either priced right right out of that box, or it was sold out by the time they saved up from lawn mowing.

I have a feeling surround is breaking through to yet another market. Another smallish niche market, but a new base of buyers none the less. Could be a new generation of buyers who know little to nothing about that big expensive box set people are asking $300 for.

But they will go along for a first rate hits set on a single disc in quad.

Last edited:
I think many quad fans were either priced right right out of that box, or it was sold out by the time they saved up from lawn mowing.

I have a feeling surround is breaking through to yet another market. Another smallish niche market, but a new base of buyers none the less. Could be a new generation of buyers who know little to nothing about that big expensive box set people are asking $300 for.
COULD be. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the bean-counters at Rhino decide otherwise. That box set sold really well. Wasn’t there even a second pressing? I suppose they could run a poll here and see what the reaction is.

If they decide to reissue it? Fine by me. But I certainly won’t be buying it.

Focus had a box set re-issue of their albums earlier in 2023 and I asked why no Quad and the response from the production staff was that they could not find the multi track tapes. (UMG fire?) Personally I would have thought that the masters would have been kept in Holland....

Focus had a box set re-issue of their albums earlier in 2023 and I asked why no Quad and the response from the production staff was that they could not find the multi track tapes. (UMG fire?) Personally I would have thought that the masters would have been kept in Holland....
It could be that UMG didn't think there would be enough interest in a Surround remix of Focus's albums, or hunting down any existing mixes, to justify the expense of doing so. I would think there'd be copies of the master tapes in Europe or Japan somewhere, but it might not have been worth the time and effort to find, and remix, those tapes for a BD-A release.

Big in Japan too! Scroll down to Quad Linda's post!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...y-english-speaking-artists.34973/#post-730679
Actually any track that got any amount of radio airplay should be in a "Greatest Hits" package!
Then that would just be a "hits" package rather than a "GREATEST hits package". :p

And in that case, I'd take "Happy Man" way before "Lowdown". :cool:

Besides, they only had room for 45 minutes worth of material. Gotta make some harsh decisions. ;)

Most Passport/Doldinger albums from 70's to 90's were released in US on Atlantic LP and later reissued on Wounded Bird 🐦 CD.

Wouldn't it be a treat , if Steve Woolard and crew at Rhino @ForagingRhino , found a 2nd title by Passport ? You just never know.....

And I forgot one , not listed but follows in the Heels of Billy Cobham Spectrum
on Atlantic .....Atlantic Nemporer Records ;

Jerry Goodman and Jan Hammer -Like Children (1974)

I've said it before and will say it again: we need a Santana quadio box! Stuff is coming out in bits and pieces and mainly overseas. I mean a single box with the quad mixes of

Santana
Abraxas
Santana (third album)
Caravanserai
Welcome
Borboletta
Amigos
Festival
Illuminations (with Alice Coltrane)
Live (with Buddy Miles)
Love Devotion Surrender (with John McLaughlin)

Not even Chicago or Percy Faith had as many quad releases as Carlos & co. OK, Ray Conniff maybe, but I ain't lining up for that one.

Back