Future Quadio releases?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really hope we get Newman’s Good Old Boys in the next batch.

My friends showed me this album having only known his Pixar scores.
Imagine my surprise reading the lyrics to “Rednecks” 😬 (I realize it’s satire, I just find it funny that this is the guy Pixar wanted to score their films!)

I have a CD-4 rip but it just doesn’t sound all that great, the Quadio treatment would take it to another level. Always like the little differences between the quad and stereo versions. For example, at the end of “Birmingham”, in stereo the figure is played on piano with the orchestra. In quad, it’s just the piano!

I also want Passport Handmade

Add Absolute Everywhere never was able to find the quad record. I enjoy more obscure non mainstream I do want rock choices showing up

FWIW Deaf School-Second Honeymoon , is Rock....Rock/New Wave , I'd say .
In the same genre as Talking Heads or The Cars.

and Ralph McTell is definitely folk.

You know I've been thinking about something. I'm up late and would not be able to sleep if my life depended on it. So I may as well ramble on here a bit. There has been consideration of reissuing the Chicago Quadio box set. And perhaps also the albums as separate releases in quad. In my opinion the Greatest Hits album would seem the most satisfying single album release of the bunch for the person simply not into one-hundred+ dollar box sets.

But in order to do something special with this release, to draw in more potential buyers, and yet still retain the tracks and order sequence which made it a fairly massive seller to begin with I thought of something worth considering.

Rhino could assemble a Quadio issue of this album that plays the edited "hit" versions of the songs on one menu selection, and on another you get to hear all of the songs in quad but in their full length versions. A longer running time of course for the full length cuts in quad. A expanded deluxe Greatest Hits with no need to add any additional hits. A bit more work in the mastering involved, but the A&R team did state that they are looking into developing more things for Quadio and surround. This would create a sort of exclusive standalone item.

No? ok then never mind I was just thinking out loud anyway.

Last edited:
I really hope we get Newman’s Good Old Boys in the next batch.

My friends showed me this album having only known his Pixar scores.
Imagine my surprise reading the lyrics to “Rednecks” 😬 (I realize it’s satire, I just find it funny that this is the guy Pixar wanted to score their films!)

I have a CD-4 rip but it just doesn’t sound all that great, the Quadio treatment would take it to another level. Always like the little differences between the quad and stereo versions. For example, at the end of “Birmingham”, in stereo the figure is played on piano with the orchestra. In quad, it’s just the piano!
I have the reel to reel drop of this, but my copy might be the DTS CD and not the conversion to DVD-A. I'd need to look. It sounds good.

But this is a title they are very seriously looking into for Quadio. I did get this bit of info direct from the team.

More on this one after the current ordered Quadio discs have started to arrive at homes.

Put me down for these previous Quadradiscs, 3 UK/EURO releases ...

3-Absolute Elsewhere-In Search Of Ancient Gods (Bill Bruford on drums)

2-Deaf School - Second Honeymoon

1-Passport - Handmade

All three have super quad mixing in my opinion. Backwards preference 321.
Both Passport , and Absolute Elsewhere , use a lot of synthesizer 's .

And if possible my next best of WEA request would be some previously not released quad mixes , recently uncovered.
In order of preference ..

Rod Stewart- Atlantic Crossing
Foghat- Energized
Joni Mitchell- Miles Of Isles
James Taylor - In The Pocket
J Geils Band - Bloodshot
Dionne Warwick - Track Of The Cat

-Fizzy ☺️
Sorry to see that Bloodshot is so low on your priority list. I'll tell you something I found interesting which you may find unimportant and irrelevant.
I was given a big box of gold CDs and SACD audiophile discs to sell off for a friend. They are (or were) all still sealed copies, some with a cut or marked barcode and some not. These are DCC and Audio Fidelity.

Ok, so I listed these discs up on Discogs and sold about 1/2 of them within a few weeks. Prices ranged $190 to $65 per disc. Many of them about $85 each. It's been a year and a few months and I'm down to just four sealed gold discs left (and tons of other items). I keep lowering the prices on them each month, and now I am even lower than the damn things cost when they were new a decade ago. Out of the four titles that stubbornly will not move are two James Taylor discs. Nice clean sealed no cuts to spines and no holes in barcodes, Gold Audio Fidelity discs.

So I am under the impression that James Taylor's album catalog does not move big units anymore. His Greatest Hits album is always selling, but those other albums are not so hot anymore. This is not a judgment on the musical quality of his works. But I don't get a sense that One Man Dog, Gorilla, or In The Pocket would be that strong Quadio sellers. So maybe one of those albums in quad could be, but it would need to be in a bundle that included "Court and Spark" and "Late for the Sky" so it can piggyback on something more relevant to current buyers.
FLAME ME Baby!!!

Last edited:
Warner via Atlantic has terrestrial rights to the Passport catalog. So if tapes can be located then there are no problems with rights ownership.
Interesting. Discogs shows that Handmade was only released in the US on CD in 2008 (stereo, obviously) and on some strange record label. Wounded Bird. Originally, it was released in 1973.

I love that album, but I'm not sure that Rhino would get enough interest for a Quadio :cry:

Interesting. Discogs shows that Handmade was only released in the US on CD in 2008 (stereo, obviously) and on some strange record label. Wounded Bird. Originally, it was released in 1973.

I love that album, but I'm not sure that Rhino would get enough interest for a Quadio :cry:
Wounded Bird is a reissue label that sometimes did off the beaten track titles with smallish runs.

The trick for Rhino is to produce enough quality content in quad and bundle them intelligently that folks will go for all four in one go. If they are getting Purple, Jackson, AWB, and Passport for 80 balloons, then why not take them all right.

If Passport really is a hot album mixed in mind blowing quad, and fidelity is there, they could get us to accept the assignment. I think I’d take it over One Man Dog. I’ve not heard the album in question I’m only taking everyone else’s word it’s great.

Last edited:
There’s an unreleased James Taylor Quad that might be a good way to start off with his titles. Or maybe a limited run of a box set that includes the unreleased Quad, that is, if this is even an issue. Maybe also include a new Quad mix from an album that might have been skipped, for unknown reasons, from the era.

Another idea in general for different artists, is to start off with a Greatest Hits title, then release the individual titles once folks get a taste for the music. This would be, of course, the opposite way Greatest hits used to be released, when the individual titles were released, and then a hits album would come out.

I also believe we need to continue to have faith in the music of the Quad era, because the music of the time was, and still is first rate. And if one wasn’t around when these titles were first released, you can and have to put yourself in the “context of the times” and familiarize yourself with an artist and the music. Of course the music itself, if you allow it, will automatically transport you there magically in surround sound.

A couple tracks from Hand Made:

Hand Made:

Abracadabra:

This could be in line between Gil Evans and Billy Cobham in the jazz slot. With MJQ in the following quarter.

The rarity factor, import mystique, then the good quadrasonic sound I think could give this enough traction. Germany and Japan orders could pull this over the break even point fairly quickly. Adventurous US buyers, um yeah.

Linda has unearthed a Quadio winner!!! Now so long as the tapes are not toasted flakes at this point.

Last edited:
Most Passport/Doldinger albums from 70's to 90's were released in US on Atlantic LP and later reissued on Wounded Bird 🐦 CD.
Atlantic let quite a few of their jazz titles get reissued by other labels before their own reissues or Rhino took a crack at them. I think back in the 80s and part of 90s, a major wanted 50,000 units out of a reissued title or they didn’t want to screw around with it. They’ve really climbed down off of their high horse since.

Hell I remember a Columbia / Epic A&R guy speaking to ICE magazine flatly stating “we don’t do bonus tracks” when asked about adding value to reissues on CD (MCA had begun adding tracks to some Elton & Who discs). I wonder where that arrogant A&R guy is today?

Last edited:
Put me down for these previous Quadradiscs, 3 UK/EURO releases ...

3-Absolute Elsewhere-In Search Of Ancient Gods (Bill Bruford on drums)
2-Deaf School - Second Honeymoon
1-Passport - Handmade

All three have super quad mixing in my opinion. Backwards preference 321.
And if possible my next best of WEA request would be some previously not released quad mixes , recently uncovered.

Rod Stewart- Atlantic Crossing
Foghat- Energized
Joni Mitchell- Miles Of Isles
James Taylor - In The Pocket
J Geils Band - Bloodshot
Dionne Warwick - Track Of The Cat

-Fizzy ☺️
Thanks, this is a good working list! I do think that the Rod Stewart is a fairly important title and hope Rhino has been working on getting it cleared.

Last edited:
What I would like to see released is:

The Steve Miller Band - The Joker (only released on Q8)
Focus - Moving Waves (only on Q8)
Jefferson Starship - Dragon Fly (a better album than Red Octopus)
Jefferson Airplane - Bark & The Worst
Of Course, Bridge Over Troubled Waters and the Three Paul Simon albums

Is there an itemized list of the costs of music licensing, master tape restoration, Blu-ray (audio mostly) authoring and manufacturing, maybe all (9?) Chicago quad albums (previous Quadio release) could be placed on one (maybe multilayer) Blu-ray disc (only the quad mixes since the stereo mixes have been available for decades in a variety of formats).

Maybe $60 to $70 for all Chicago quad albums on one disc.

Kirk Bayne

As a genre , I think Passport Handmade , might be considered along the lines of say : George Duke with Stanley Clarke and Jan Hammer, Jerry Goodman.
So Jazz Fusion with Prog Rock intertwined.

BTW Abracadabra is just stunning in quad . The album's highlight in my opinion.

Back